JBL 5 Series on sale again

R

rrj

Enthusiast
Folks,

Took the plunge and purchased 3 580s for LCR during the Fathers Day Sale. Unfortunately all 3 arrived with cosmetic issues. One was damaged to the point I decided to send back right away. JBL CSR says it will take at least 2 weeks or more to get my replacement since they have to open a case with UPS. Not happy.

With the other two, one has a strange discoloration on the front panel, the other a dent on the right corner which seems to be a result of shipping "mishandling". With apparent delays @ JBL, I was wondering wether I should keep the two or also send them back. Did a brief listening test and the pair sound OK so far. Pictures attached.

Thoughts?

IMG_0928.JPGIMG_0930.JPGIMG_0934.JPGIMG_0943.JPG

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Folks,

Took the plunge and purchased 3 580s for LCR during the Fathers Day Sale. Unfortunately all 3 arrived with cosmetic issues. One was damaged to the point I decided to send back right away. JBL CSR says it will take at least 2 weeks or more to get my replacement since they have to open a case with UPS. Not happy.

With the other two, one has a strange discoloration on the front panel, the other a dent on the right corner which seems to be a result of shipping "mishandling". With apparent delays @ JBL, I was wondering wether I should keep the two or also send them back. Did a brief listening test and the pair sound OK so far. Pictures attached.

Thoughts?

View attachment 37403View attachment 37404View attachment 37405View attachment 37406
All depends on how you feel about the blemishes....altho since ya gotta wait anyways....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Folks,

Thoughts?

View attachment 37403View attachment 37404View attachment 37405View attachment 37406
That really depends a lot on you and how meticulous you are about the things around you. I often buy refurbed equipment or B-stock and I am content if it has no more damage than I would expect in about 2 years of my own usage (which isn't much because I am careful). That is mostly for electronics where their might be a smudge from dragging an amp across the top.
My rule of thumb for speakers is if I cannot see it from 3' under normal lighting (or if it is on the back low or otherwise out of view).
But like I said it's up to you. I have a brother who routinely drinks beer and leaves his cans sitting on top of his speakers or anything else in his house it is rare to find a flat surface that doesn't have a ring on it! I can't imagine him getting worried about any of the stuff you've got!
That's kind of an extreme but you need to figure out where you are along the strata!

R

rrj

Enthusiast
@lovinthehd and @KEW ,

Thanks for the advice. After giving it some thought, I figured I paid for new, I should get new. If I had ordered B-stock, then I would definitely have kept the two as the markings would be expected. I just hate having to wait. I wish JBL would double box their large speakers, which could have avoided the damage. When I ordered 530's they were double boxed, exterior had damage, interior box did not...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
@lovinthehd and @KEW ,

Thanks for the advice. After giving it some thought, I figured I paid for new, I should get new. If I had ordered B-stock, then I would definitely have kept the two as the markings would be expected. I just hate having to wait. I wish JBL would double box their large speakers, which could have avoided the damage. When I ordered 530's they were double boxed, exterior had damage, interior box did not...
Sorry you have had this problem. I think Amazon has similar price and if you call or chat they can price match.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I am thinking about wall mounting the 530’s. I am concerned about the weight, at 17 lbs are they too heavy?

how high on the wall can I mount the surrounds And they fulfill their purpose. On stands I aim for the tweeters to be at ear level. The lowest I can mount the surrounds on the wall places the whole speaker above ear level.
20191210_111757.jpg20191210_112121.jpg20191210_112136.jpg

I use articulated tv mounts they can handle tons of weight are very very flexible and you can position each speaker any way you desire

And I have them like William said only about 5ft up the wall that's perfect for me

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd and @KEW ,

FWIW when I bought my 590s they weren't double boxed, and even tho the boxes were kinda torn up (UPS) they didn't suffer any actual damage. Later when I picked up a pair of 580s they were double boxed and much less likely to have been damaged in transport (and the boxes showed some signs of the typically poor handling by outfits like UPS/Fedex).

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I've bought almost all my speakers from Harmon lately and had great luck with some big sales plus some coupon codes that made it even cheaper (codes I got due to damaged speakers from a previous purchase.

Anyways, I got real lucky on a 5 series sale buying their refurbs. 2 590s and a set of 530s. the 530s I swear were brand new. The 590s were in white boxes but not a scratch on them and if you have these you realize how easily they scratch (they sound good but aren't made with the best of materials which is fine). Also key on getting 590s or 580s I think is having them delivered via freight on a pallet vs UPS. UPS kills their stuff it seems

Which takes me to the latest purchase. I have the JBL setup and an Infinity Refence set up too. Bought some of the new R263 towers to replace what I had. First two came damaged. One just on the back and I would have kept that but the other had a deformity on the top right corner that I could see from my sitting position. I couldn't take it more than 3 hours. Decided that if I bought new I shouldn't have to settle for something less than new. Their customer service is actually pretty good and they set me up with new ones. But it must be UPS that kills their stuff in addition to it not being protected well at all.

If you can influence it with customer service, ask if they can ship them freight on a pallet

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I got my 530 I use as surrounds for this price plus I had a coupon to get it lower. Also I got my 590's (fronts) refurbed from there too. Both came to me in perfect condition (unlike the infinity's). The 530s really looked like they were 100% new. The 590s were in different packaging but also looked new and if you know how delicate those are to scratching I would have to say they were because those scratch super easily.

I know some of you don't believe in speaker break in (at least it's between our ears maybe). But I can tell you that I think these take a while to hit their stride. But they are really sounding good lately.

I think they are a good value for the price when on sale. I match them with the infinity RC263 center which I think is also a steal for the price when on sale.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got my 530 I use as surrounds for this price plus I had a coupon to get it lower. Also I got my 590's (fronts) refurbed from there too. Both came to me in perfect condition (unlike the infinity's). The 530s really looked like they were 100% new. The 590s were in different packaging but also looked new and if you know how delicate those are to scratching I would have to say they were because those scratch super easily.

I know some of you don't believe in speaker break in (at least it's between our ears maybe). But I can tell you that I think these take a while to hit their stride. But they are really sounding good lately.

I think they are a good value for the price when on sale. I match them with the infinity RC263 center which I think is also a steal for the price when on sale.
Congrats! What was the value on the coupon for the 530s?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
It was 20 percent off. I had receiver some damaged speakers so they gave me a coupon for a future purchase

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis