The one? Ultra Blue Ray Player

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have both the Panasonic DP-UB420 and the Sony X700.

They both support ATMOS and HDR. Pano does not support SCAD or DVD Audio. But I don't have any SCAD or DVD Audio disks so it doesn't matter to me.

The Sony will handle more formats but the Pano runs cooler. I like them both.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I returned the UB820 after one evening of owning it; $500 for a lightweight piece of plastic that takes up half a shelf space? Yeah, okay.

I can only imagine how plasticky the 420 is...of course, it's not as pricey and some people don't care about aesthetics, but...
Yep, 500 bucks for a piece of gear that'll freeze up much less not even read a disc. I've read reviews on Panasonic's 1k unit not reading disc and freezing up.

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
The DP-UB820-K is on sale at Best Buy for $350 $150 off. I just snagged one. Seems well built enough for the sale price.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Yep, 500 bucks for a piece of gear that'll freeze up much less not even read a disc. I've read reviews on Panasonic's 1k unit not reading disc and freezing up.
so then why is the 820 getting so many great reviews???

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Freezing up while streaming from netflix, etc or from disc play?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have not had any issues with my Panasonic DP-UB420. It larger than the Sony x700 and runs cooler. I have never seen it freeze. Never had to unplug it.

I didn't get the 820 as the 420 does everything I need. The DP-UB420 has a ton of features:

I wish I got mine for $149 instead of $250... :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have not had any issues with my Panasonic DP-UB420. It larger than the Sony x700 and runs cooler. I have never seen it freeze. Never had to unplug it.

I didn't get the 820 as the 420 does everything I need. The DP-UB420 has a ton of features:

I wish I got mine for $149 instead of $250... :D
Which TV do you have?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I have that $999 Panny and it hasn't frozen up yet. Best build quality I've ever seen in a player, irrespective of the myriad of shortcomings I highlighted here before...

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So ya you probably have the Panasonic for HDR10+ support? Or why run both Sony and Panasonic? Different rooms?
Yes, I have the Sony X700 on an old Samsung 55" 1080p in the basement and the Panasonic DP-UB420 on the Samsung QN65Q7DRAFXZA in the family room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I have the Sony X700 on an old Samsung 55" 1080p in the basement and the Panasonic DP-UB420 on the Samsung QN65Q7DRAFXZA in the family room.

Ok well most freeze ups I saw on x800m2 were on UHD discs (few on Blu-ray) before I added the inch and a half lift to allow better airflow. (Using Samsung KS8000 65in, HDR10)

I saw same behavior on x700 and x800 but didn’t try the trick on those 2 yet. Those are in other rooms on 1080p sets so I don’t run UHD on those. Only tried them in other room for comparison.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I run HDR 4K disks on the X700 connected to the 55" Samsung 1080p and I get the dialog to use a 4K TV but it usually works. I'm sure it just deactivates the HDR when I play it on a non-4K TV. Obviously. it would be better to use a 4K TV with the 700X but it really hasn't been an issue yet and each 4K disk comes with a bluray disk if it ever does.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I just would like not to have to unplug my 4K player to get it to work. I'm tried of getting electrocuted from static electricity!! That sh&t hurts!! This passed weekend I must've got hit 6 times from Static electricity! Zap!!!

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I just would like not to have to unplug my 4K player to get it to work. I'm tried off getting electrocuted from static electricity!!
Do you still have freezes if you only use it as a disk player? I think those using the player as a streamer may have more issues.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Do you still have freezes if you only use it as a disk player? I think those using the player as a streamer may have more issues.
Not much, I watched, Oblivion 4K disc. Brand new disc got about half way through it froze up for a few seconds than started playing again for about 5 minutes than froze up again. Remote would not respond to any commands had to unplug. I took that Sony X700 back to Walmart yesterday got a full refund. My Son came over last night he sold me his Sony X700 that he got from Crutchfield about umm 10 months ago. But has only watched two movies in it and it has just been sitting ever since. I watched Netflix, Ozark last night streamed the 2nd season 6 EPs all good no freezing up. Today I watched GOT season 8, 4K disc Episodes 1,2,and 3 played great. Just watched on Netflix a movie almost 2hrs all good. Maybe Walmart got shipped Sony's B stock? lol cause from the ones getting their Sony x700 from Crutchfield seem to be having less issues. I'm grasping at straws here, lol cause when It performs, it's awesome.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis