highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My understanding is that the flu was called "Spanish Flu" as Spain had the worst outburst of cases, but it indeed originated in the US.

I guess there is a strong possibility that this Covid-19 will be called the American flu as it will be the country with the worst experience.
Are you sure about the origin of Spanish Flu?

Did Italy tell anyone about their cases immediately?

highfigh

highfigh

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Are you sure about the origin of Spanish Flu?

Did Italy tell anyone about their cases immediately?
It looks like it isn't clear where it actually originated. The fact that worldwide traveling is so easy nowadays contributes to the puzzle of determining the real source.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like it isn't clear where it actually originated. The fact that worldwide traveling is so easy nowadays contributes to the puzzle of determining the real source.
Worldwide travel was not so commonplace in 1918. I always heard that it was brought to the US by returning GI's from Europe in WW1. Killed both of the Dodge Brothers BTW...

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is still in early an phase of development, but it's an interesting approach:

>>>Using computational tools, a team of researchers at the University of Washington designed and built from scratch a molecule that, when pitted against the coronavirus in the lab, can attack and sequester it at least as well as an antibody does. When spritzed up the noses of mice and hamsters, it also appears to protect animals from becoming seriously sick.

This molecule, called a mini-binder for its ability to glom onto the coronavirus, is petite and stable enough to be shipped en masse in a freeze-dried state. Bacteria can also be engineered to churn out these mini-binders, potentially making them not only effective but also cheap and convenient.<<<

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The British Oxford group is now releasing its new Covid-19 vaccine. This represents the third vaccine which will be available.

Depending on the dose, it can be effective as high as 90%. It has several advantages over the Pfizer and the Moderna products: It is cheaper to produce and doesn't have to be kept at a freezing point. Refrigeration temperatures are sufficient, so distribution around the globe would be rather easier.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
A day late and a dollar short.

Here in PA, they just announced that liquor stores will be closed as of Wednesday, without any time-line on when they will re-open.

This was the same precursor action taken back in April before a complete shut-down. Cases and deaths may soon surpass the April/May numbers here.

I'm not surprised from the few times I've gone out to go grocery shopping or get my meds. Car and store traffic seem to be back to the good old pre-Covid days. Very confusing.

As someone here stated previouly, Darwin might have been onto something.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Here in PA, they just announced that liquor stores will be closed as of Wednesday, without any time-line on when they will re-open.

This was the same precursor action taken back in April before a complete shut-down. Cases and deaths may soon surpass the April/May numbers here.

I'm not surprised from the few times I've gone out to go grocery shopping or get my meds. Car and store traffic seem to be back to the good old pre-Covid days. Very confusing.

I love that the solution to contain a pandemic is to close liquor stores. Not mandate face masks and social distancing and fine those that don't comply. Nope. No that. God forbid we break up large gatherings and fine those in attendance. Why do the smart thing when you can just do something pointless that makes people angry?

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Worldwide travel was not so commonplace in 1918. I always heard that it was brought to the US by returning GI's from Europe in WW1. Killed both of the Dodge Brothers BTW...
No, it first spread in a military training camp in Kansas USA. The US news media were not permitted to write about it by the military. The flu then spread to the war in Europe and was kept quite. Spain was not under that restriction so that was the only news documentation.

highfigh

highfigh

I would agree about worldwide travel for pleasure but the number of service personnel returning made its spread a certainty.

highfigh

highfigh

Someone needs to tell them that if the liquor stores close, tax revenue will decrease.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I would agree about worldwide travel for pleasure but the number of service personnel returning made its spread a certainty.
i get the feeling the lack of effective communication services was as big a factor as anything.. you can't warn people that live in the boonies and don't have a phone or radio...

highfigh

highfigh

i get the feeling the lack of effective communication services was as big a factor as anything.. you can't warn people that live in the boonies and don't have a phone or radio...
Yeah, it was a bit early for everyone to have a radio and in the sticks, I doubt they got any news more often than once a week unless they had to go into town and if 'town' had a newspaper or telegraph station.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
not short term as millions of Americans will go into withdrawal
last thing the hospitals need now
yeah, here in Pa and for those of us that live close to Delaware we don't even bother with our ridiculously run 'State Stores'. Delaware, the land of tax free shopping !

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
that's a waaaay shortsighted thought... grocery stores are and will still be open... guess what nearly every grocery store carries... alcohol.. liquor stores closing are an economic issue if no relief package is passed(unemployment) , other than that closing liquor stores is not much of an issue... now if they close the weed dispensary's we have an issue ..

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
.. guess what nearly every grocery store carries... alcohol.. liquor stores closing are an economic issue if no relief package is passed(unemployment) , other than that closing liquor stores is not much of an issue...
not here in Pennsyltucky, select grocery stores carry wine and beer only. I have a Total Wine only 35 mins away in Delaware, the best selection I know of

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
No, it first spread in a military training camp in Kansas USA. The US news media were not permitted to write about it by the military. The flu then spread to the war in Europe and was kept quite. Spain was not under that restriction so that was the only news documentation.
Thanks for the info. But where did the flu originate? Surely not in Kansas?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
IF that happens, we need to get some folks some help. I used to drink every day without fail and it wasn't just a little. When I stopped I never even had a hint of withdrawal. If "millions" are going to have this problem then we have a heck of a lot of functioning alcoholics in that area.

Also, if that's a big issue there, can't people still go get beer? At least to stop the withdrawal. I guess I just didn't think that'd be an issue. More of a "damn, can't get whiskey, oh well..." situation.

Wonder if we'll start hearing about the alcohol epidemic next? Doubt it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis