Speaker setting for dB vs volume

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern
From sound quality perspective, Is it better to increase some db per speaker for 7.1 channel setup or lower the speaker db and do the volume up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just use the volume dial. You don't gain anything by artificially bumping up channel trim levels and if overdone could possibly yield clipped signal....how did you calibrate channel levels to begin with?

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern
I use the SPL meter and range it at 75db. I am using onkyo receiver which have auto room calibration, when I use that it gave me all speaker at different db level, some even negative and all at different Hz level to, I like it but not to happy, so did little research and set frequency at 80hz for all speakers and adjust the db level to 75db measured with spl meter. But not sure if I did it right or it’s a best audio setting. Also I just added 4 in celing Dolby atmos which is also set as same above standard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker trim levels may not be the same due to differing sensitivity levels of the speakers and/or distances from your listening position but then again the room eq/setup routines aren't perfect either. Are your speakers now using the same trim level? Are they all the same speaker and same distance from your seat?

In any case, once calibrated for proper level at your listening position, just use the master volume to change level.....

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern
First thanks a lot for your suggestion. My current setup, onkyo 9.2+4 channel amp , Bose acutimass cube speakers(disconnected Bose woofer), 2 klipsch sub woofer and 4 Polk audio in-celing atmos speakers. 7.2.4. All running at 6 ohms setting. Not all same speaker. I am just getting into this world.

Front L+R,center, sub all 15ft from seating
L+R surround 4 ft from seating
L+R rear 4 ft back from seating
Top inceling atmos front L+R is 12 ft from seating
Rear inceling atmos front L+R is top of seating
Rear sub is 5ft back of seating.

When I auto calibrate each speaker is giving different db some + , some - but when I check with spl meter, speakers were not 75bd, sound was ok but not at enjoyable mode, that’s why I manually try to change based on internet material reading.

So know I am looking to idle or beat setup for Hz and db for each speakers, not sure how to do and who’s is the good frequency.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well hopefully you can work on those acoustimass modules soon....they're of quite limited frequency response and would be my first goal for replacement.

Yes, it's normal for each speaker to have different levels depending on the speaker sensitivity and differing distances from your position....depending on the range of sensitivity and distances involved it could easily yield some trim levels being set in the positive as well as negative ranges.

Does Bose provide sensitivity spec? They offer so little information I'd be somewhat surprised.

As to crossover, you probably need a fairly high crossover for the Bose modules....

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern
Yes first target to replace Bose , soon I will buy klipsch reference premium RP800 2 tower or RP504 central channel. Due to budget can only afford tower or central, which you recommend to get 1st based on my current setup : tower or central ? Slowly I will buy all then get rid of Bose

To answer your question, Bose did not provided any spec. So as you mentioned set frequency high so high is reference to 120hz or 150hz ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes first target to replace Bose , soon I will buy klipsch reference premium RP800 2 tower or RP504 central channel. Due to budget can only afford tower or central, which you recommend to get 1st based on my current setup : tower or central ? Slowly I will buy all then get rid of Bose

To answer your question, Bose did not provided any spec. So as you mentioned set frequency high so high is reference to 120hz or 150hz ?

I'd start with the stereo pair for L/R before center. The Bose may require more like a 200hz crossover....but then the subs probably aren't up to that.

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern
My both subs is klipsch SL120 , it’s 400watt.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My both subs is klipsch SL120 , it’s 400watt.

They're some of the better Klipsch subs but there's much better out there....depending where you are.

ps The wattage rating means little.

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern

Found the spec online , weired it mention to set front speaker at large vs majority of article saying ideal is small for this size of small speakers. As you said Hz is recommended at 200.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Check Ebay or Craig’s list in your area sometimes great deals are to be had and I agree start with the towers then get a matching center and box up the Bose .

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I replaced the Bose system and sub on a boat two years ago and because replacing the Bose speakers would have been too time consuming and possibly damaging to the headliner in the salon, they were left in place- replacing the headliner would have been very expensive. I used REW before setting any crossovers or equalization to find the response of the satellites and found that they basically dropped off of the map at about 200Hz, so I set the crossovers to 250 and EQ'd any humps out of the response, then tweaked it as I needed. Other than being able to identify the subwoofer's location more easily than I prefer, it really didn't sound bad. The mid-bass doesn't have the weight of larger speakers, but for watching TV and not listening critically, it was decent.

This, from someone who isn't a Bose fan.

S

sameer.patel

Audioholic Intern
I'd start with the stereo pair for L/R before center. The Bose may require more like a 200hz crossover....but then the subs probably aren't up to that.
Can’t resist, bought the klipsch RF 8000 tower speakers, so next should be center or surround ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can’t resist, bought the klipsch RF 8000 tower speakers, so next should be center or surround ?

Somewhat preference, some keep working with a phantom center, others might buy the center next. Personally I prefer having a center but.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis