LG OLEDs significantly discounted - included CX, GX

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Wanted to pass this along for anyone else thinking about buying a TV right now.

I was dead set on the 85" Vizio P Series Quantum X (if it ever arrives), but I couldn't pass up $1000 off the 77" LG CX. Never thought I'd go with OLED due to price, but $4k for a 77" tv that's essentially the best there is for gaming was too good to pass up over the $3000 Vizio I was thinking about. I also ordered through Crutchfield to get their rewards points (essentially 2% store credit) and used my 1.5% cash back credit card on top of the current deal.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Oh oh Gmoney! o_O :eek::pI wish I had 1G. Wait it’s 4G lucky B. Maybe in the afterlife bahaha.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wanted to pass this along for anyone else thinking about buying a TV right now.

I was dead set on the 85" Vizio P Series Quantum X (if it ever arrives), but I couldn't pass up $1000 off the 77" LG CX. Never thought I'd go with OLED due to price, but $4k for a 77" tv that's essentially the best there is for gaming was too good to pass up over the $3000 Vizio I was thinking about. I also ordered through Crutchfield to get their rewards points (essentially 2% store credit) and used my 1.5% cash back credit card on top of the current deal.
I saw that, their 65" 9C at 2199.00 is a very nice deal big cut but it's a 2019 model not a 2020. Hopefully in 44 days when I have the funds the 2020's may be out or even deeper cuts on 2019 models. TLSGUY "DOC" gave me the scoop on OLED panels. They are the best and all other Manufacturers get their panels from LG but they are last year's LG panels, LG, According to Doc only sells the Previous year panels to the other peeps DOC says so LG can say ahead a year from the other peeps. I would believe that Doc is more than likely correct. Why? cause Doc would never put his name on a post if he isn't sure.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I saw that, their 65" 9C at 2199.00 is a very nice deal big cut but it's a 2019 model not a 2020. Hopefully in 44 days when I have the funds the 2020's may be out or even deeper cuts on 2019 models. TLSGUY "DOC" gave me the scoop on OLED panels. They are the best and all other Manufacturers get their panels from LG but they are last year's LG panels, LG, According to Doc only sells the Previous year panels to the other peeps DOC says so LG can say ahead a year from the other peeps. I would believe that Doc is more than likely correct. Why? cause Doc would never put his name on a post if he isn't sure.
I doubt any big difference in anything 2019 or 2020. The new crop won’t come in this year cause of you know what. 2021 is said to launch new TVs.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I doubt any big difference in anything 2019 or 2020. The new crop won’t come in this year cause of you know what. 2021 is said to launch new TVs.
Knowing me? and how I like the better value from my money more than likely I'll go with a Sony or a Vizio PQ 65" maybe the M. Sony very Reliable, Vizio better value but has some issues... umm. The Vizio I have now is good Except for the Netflix app it won't work on it. It's just not as brite as I would like. Plus with my old eyes at 62 how much more will I really notice? The Vizio V55" "bottom feeder" :D is about 8ft from my Sofa it's at night time Viewing it's okay just need more Nits! Gotta have more "Cowbell" lol

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah.....$4k on that 77" is finally getting to a price where the common man could afford it! You may have to make some changes or compromises somewhere else, but finally getting almost to a reasonable price!

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hi All trying to decide between the CX and GX models - is the GX worth the $800 upgrade given the similar specs?
For those who have the GX is the wall hanging aspect of it more difficult being that its so close to the wall?

I will need to create a hole in just the right spot to run the Power and HDMI cables thru to hide them with the GX

Thanks for any input on this!

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I would highly recommend getting the largest one you can (fit/afford) first. If you're looking at the largest you can fit, then it depends on a few factors. Most of all, will the display be at the appropriate height? I know it's an OLED, but you still want your eye level to land about 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

I've seen a GX on a wall and it looks very nice, but ultimately got a CX. Having a CX on a tilting mount gives me a slightly better viewing angle, and gets the screen closer to me by an inch or two. This was especially important as I knew I'd have the top of the center channel a few inches higher than is ideal.

From 10'+ and when displaying something on the screen, you don't even notice it's off the wall.

Decent image where you can see how it is mounted:

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I would highly recommend getting the largest one you can (fit/afford) first. If you're looking at the largest you can fit, then it depends on a few factors. Most of all, will the display be at the appropriate height? I know it's an OLED, but you still want your eye level to land about 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

I've seen a GX on a wall and it looks very nice, but ultimately got a CX. Having a CX on a tilting mount gives me a slightly better viewing angle, and gets the screen closer to me by an inch or two. This was especially important as I knew I'd have the top of the center channel a few inches higher than is ideal.

From 10'+ and when displaying something on the screen, you don't even notice it's off the wall.

Great points. Thanks

nice room by the way

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic

Is that a 77”??

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Feels like I should take credit for this because I bought my CX 2 weeks ago.

You're welcome.

(I did get a sale price but not this big.)

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I’m jealous
I don’t think my space will accommodate the 77

I’m 12 feet away from screen and wall is only 7.5 high by 14 wide
EDIT

Some measurements:
My wall is 13' 3" wide (drywall to drywall, excluding trim)
Height from floor to ceiling is 95", so 7' 11"
The bottom of the TV is 34 1/2" from the floor, which I made sure was roughly 1/2" above the top of the center speaker. That tiny 1/2" extra is perfect to ensure you can see the whole screen even sitting low/reclined.

The TV itself is just under 39" tall (the official numbers might look a bit bigger if they could the tiny bump out in the bottom middle of the panel)
Width of the TV is about 68"

I recommend measuring it out and at least taping off where the corners will land with masking tape. That's what sold me on the 77" vs a 65" TV. If you have a smaller screen it will look big, but you'll get used to it.

My gut tells me that if you can get the TV at this height or a bit lower, it would look great. Even this high up you have almost a foot and a half above it to the ceiling. If your console allows it to be a bit lower, even better. But certainly I don't think it's too wide.

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So I measured and I measured and I measured!

Now seriously thinking about the 77 incher
IMG_4242.jpeg

Man I need to start selling my unused body parts for this new man cave.

Check out this photo - can you see the markings? One is for the 65" and the other for the 77"

Am I crazy?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Words that have never been spoken, "I wish I had went for the smaller TV"

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
So I measured and I measured and I measured!

Now seriously thinking about the 77 incherView attachment 41830

Man I need to start selling my unused body parts for this new man cave.

Check out this photo - can you see the markings? One is for the 65" and the other for the 77"

Am I crazy?
I think the 77 would look great in that space. We can't see the full width but clearly there's plenty of room on both sides of the screen for speakers. I'd try to get it to sit a bit lower, or get a tilting mount that has a lot of movement tilting down.

I'm using this and it seems well built for the price. I wouldn't put another 100 lbs on it, but the tv mounting bracket seems more than adequate for a 77" LG OLED TV.

All that said, if I'm the one that makes you spend a bunch more money, I'm sorry but I know it would be worth it! Getting a larger CX and tilting it down wouldn't cost a ton more than a smaller GX, though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think the 77 would look great in that space. We can't see the full width but clearly there's plenty of room on both sides of the screen for speakers. I'd try to get it to sit a bit lower, or get a tilting mount that has a lot of movement tilting down.

I'm using this and it seems well built for the price. I wouldn't put another 100 lbs on it, but the tv mounting bracket seems more than adequate for a 77" LG OLED TV.

All that said, if I'm the one that makes you spend a bunch more money, I'm sorry but I know it would be worth it! Getting a larger CX and tilting it down wouldn't cost a ton more than a smaller GX, though.
For the record, I have a 65" C9 in my living room, which was an upgrade from a 52" Samsung LCD. The Sammy went to my man cave, with my ultimate plan being to put a 77" OLED in the living room, the 65" goes to the man cave, then the 52 Sammy goes to the bedroom.

I went with the 65 first b/c the price was right. That buys me some time for the 77 to continue to drop in price, and once I move to the 77 I would intend to wall-mount.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis