Is the Audiophile Dying Out?

Is the Audiophile Dying Out?

• Yes. The kids only care about eabuds and smoking weed.

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • No. The kids are allright.

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
when I bought my last Yamaha at Best Buy the kid I had order it at the time they didn’t carry the Advantage line ( and still don’t ) but when the kid looked it up he was amazed that anyone would buy such an expensive piece of equipment at that time it was 2,200 bucks for a flagship model he freaked out when I told him what it would do compared to the lower end models they had on the floor . But he was rejoicing when he found out about his commission from the sale lol .
That must have been a long time ago because Best Buy hasn't paid commission since before 2010.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think there are a lot more home theaters (at least 5.1) right now than 30 years ago.

So if anything, I think the number of "audiophiles" have increased. :D
Well, in 1990, the home theatre (as we know it today) was still in its infancy.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
i think maybe the future of audiophile level hobbyists is moving towards good budget equipment .. a decent avr , a $500 pair of books and a 10" sub are often enough for a great experience...

I

itspecos

Audiophyte
Whoa! You've gone too far. Hide your rack? What about aesthetics? Were proud of our rack mounts, aren't we? Especially tube guys. Listening to music without seeing where it's coming from would be like going to a four-star restaurant and eating your meal in pill form. Who cares about music in every room? A true audioholic needs to sit in that sweet spot between the speakers and be able to admire the whole system he or she has painstakingly built. What we need is our own listening room period which would also help with anyone else in the home from complaining about whatever it is you might be playing. Now the only other problem other than devoting a well-deserved room to support your lifelong passion would be soundproofing. Big racks rule! Bill

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, in 1990, the home theatre (as we know it today) was still in its infancy.
I had my first 5.1 HT system around 1990. Then I got my 120" screen and PJ around 1992.

I remember my friends and I were talking about audio and home theater back in 1990. I remember plenty of audio magazines back then too.

But I think the number of HT and audiophiles have grown every year. The number of people listening with their phones and other non-audiophile components are probably the same.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I had my first 5.1 HT system around 1990. Then I got my 120" screen and PJ around 1992.

I remember my friends and I were talking about audio and home theater back in 1990. I remember plenty of audio magazines back then too.

But I think the number of HT and audiophiles have grown every year. The number of people listening with their phones and other non-audiophile components are probably the same.
Sure. You were one of the infants. ;)

Of course there are more HTs now, but that doesn't mean the numbers are increasing, or even holding steady.

F

felipe

Audioholic
Thanks Gene for posting this article. I think it really highlights the changing trends in the audio industry. As for the question “ is the Audiophile dying out?” ...I imo don’t think they’re dying out, just changing/adapting to the times. What an audiophile was back then probably won‘t appear the same as one today or even down the road. With technology changing in the audio industry, ways to achieve that “audio nirvana“ could be as simple as a couple of components...;)

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Yeah,,,fk i have a 80 dollar LG phone and it does everything on earth! Folks who have a 1200 dollar iphone....What the fck for??? i don't know man....Steve Jobs was a mass indoctrinating crook...
Lol, you guys are pretty funny. You sound exactly like the guys saying "why does anyone need $25K audiophile grade 2.1 system when they could by a $250 Bose system in a box at BestBuy"...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Seems like this COVID-19 mess has us isolated at our homes more, so a theater room makes a lot of sense. Not sure if everyone with a 5.1 theater setup is an audiophile though. :)

As far as hiding speakers or gear, I’m not a fan of that personally.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Lol, you guys are pretty funny. You sound exactly like the guys saying "why does anyone need $25K audiophile grade 2.1 system when they could by a $250 Bose system in a box at BestBuy"...
Enjoyment of music...Music which has a very deep impact on one's consciousness,,,,etc, etc VS opening/closing apps on a fcking phone ......there's a big difference there, you simpleton

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Enjoyment of music...Music which has a very deep impact on one's consciousness,,,,etc, etc VS opening/closing apps on a fcking phone ......there's a big difference there, you simpleton
Eh? I can enjoy great music via my apps on my phone (but I don't use the phone speaker nor earbuds).

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
Great article, and the timing is perfect. you made me feel great because of all the sweat, blood, curses, and alcohol that went into my project. I started with a lot of research, then AV acquisition, remodeling, including wiring new dedicated circuits, 3 pair of ceiling speaker installs, moving 1 sub to concealed corner, led downlights, drywall repairs, paint, carpet, building a acoustically dead entertainment center from semi-custom cabinetry (Lowes, MDF reinforcement, and lots of hidden thermafiber), and on and on. Getting to the point where the actual new components will be hooked up (this weekend) to 3 visible speakers (2 D11s +DT 9060) via a Marantz SR7015 + Marantz MM7025, and Sony X900H TV. A lot was sourced from AAFES, which used to be THE place to buy quality...not so much any more. You and yours helped me reach a better understanding of how to begin my journey from cheap Sony amp and mediocre speakers that did nothing much except clutter up the space. Now its time to convince the wife that the curtains hanging in front of the three family room windows behind the audience need to go (Honey, I will pay for the good stuff). Also trying to figure out how to deaden the left wall from reflected sound without conflict. Not alot I can do about the right side half wall.

Thanks for all the info on the Marantz product line (funny, finally able to purchase the 2020 model in OCT) as well as the Definitive Tech info and the heads up about Blue Jeans wiring (quad banana plugs bundled in a thick cable are sweet, subwoofer cable is also very nice). I will upgrade from the Klipsh ceiling speakers as I clear the zero percent debt.

Attachments

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Wow, easy there champ, I think you may need to take in some light music to calm you down lol. Personally I think there is a better chance that the person that can't use a modern phone is the simpleton but, I find being respectful and leaving childish insults out of my posts allows conversion to run more smoothly...

I use my phone to run room correction(XT32 App), adjust PEQ, control my subs, steam lossless music to my systems, control my AVR, use a SPL meter app, and a number of other sound related tasks including researching system upgrades. That doesn't account for the thousands of other uses other then sending and receiving calls. Other then REW, I haven't touched a computer or tablet in probably two years as my phone is the most comfortable and smoothest running option while chilling in the couch and/or out and about. YMMV of course but, as you can see there is plenty of audio value, if you will, in opening and closing apps...

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Wow, easy there champ, I think you may need to take in some light music to calm you down lol. Personally I think there is a better chance that the person that can't use a modern phone is the simpleton but, I find being respectful and leaving childish insults out of my posts allows conversion to run more smoothly...

I use my phone to run room correction(XT32 App), adjust PEQ, control my subs, steam lossless music to my systems, control my AVR, use a SPL meter app, and a number of other sound related tasks including researching system upgrades. That doesn't account for the thousands of other uses other then sending and receiving calls. Other then REW, I haven't touched a computer or tablet in probably two years as my phone is the most comfortable and smoothest running option while chilling in the couch and/or out and about. YMMV of course but, as you can see there is plenty of audio value, if you will, in opening and closing apps...
Look at your original comment with a considerable hint of abrasiveness. You definitely deserved what i called you on my response, me thinks

Now, all this sht you say you do on your phone is just tied to a processor spec, ram spec, etc. My 80 dollar phone might be a tad slow but it will do everything you did on your 1200 dollar phone..Yeah your camera is a bit better....But, i went and got a Canon hybrid SLR for 400 bucks on sale (total investment 480 bucjks). This Canon will sht all over your iphone's camera all day long....and i only spent 480 bucks!

But, can a 250 dollar Bose shtbox do what a luxman and TAD can do in unison for my happiness, evolve me in consciousness, inspire me to carry on in this thing called life, heal me during tough patches in life, etc etc,,,I use music for all kinds of things man. And a Bose shtbox makes me run away from it as fast as i can.

But, between a fcking 80 dollar LG and a 1200 dollar iphone,,,nothing changes for a guy like me....

P,S
I did build a gaming PC with a threadripper and a used 1080 ti last year that will sht all over your apple and your iphone though (if you are some kinda computer hardware enthusiast or somethin). And after i put AMD's big navi in it this year, it will sht all over your iphone even more all day long! But, hey, you would have opened an app a 1/2 second quicker on your iphone than my 80 dollar LG! You are definitely a winner today. God bless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had a cheaper Samsung android phone recently ($100 ish), it was slow and hesitant in several respects (and I wasn't the only one who thought so) so I went a little further up the chain after I broke it to a $300 phone....much better. Plus has more memory capability for music storage :)

I'd never consider an iPhone, tho.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My fault, I should never have brought up iPhones. I like mine, but you can imagine how pissed I was when I realized my Rolls Royce didn’t have CarPlay.:mad:

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I had a cheaper Samsung android phone recently ($100 ish), it was slow and hesitant in several respects (and I wasn't the only one who thought so) so I went a little further up the chain after I broke it to a $300 phone....much better. Plus has more memory capability for music storage :)

I'd never consider an iPhone, tho.
I deployed a synology NAS with 10TB of storage (RAID to the max baby!). It sits quietly in a corner of the house and it serves all my music to 3 different systems in different parts of the house..... I have bubbleupnp installed on my phone to push music from the NAS to my streamers.

Now, my low aptitude slow beauteous 80 dolla LG phone does a perfect job and is perfectly capable of running Bubbleupnp control point to push music from my NAS to the streaming devices for 3 different systems depending on the room i am in....My low aptitude slow 80 dolla LG beauty doesn't need any storage space. 16 GB is moreeeee than enough cos i don't keep any music on it, my dear hd luuuvvvinn friend...My 80 dolla LG,,,she's slow, but, she's such a beauty. You will have to pry me cold dead hands open to take her away from me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I deployed a synology NAS with 10TB of storage (RAID to the max baby!). It sits quietly in a corner of the house and it serves all my music to 3 different systems in different parts of the house..... I have bubbleupnp installed on my phone to push music from the NAS to my streamers.

Now, my low aptitude slow beauteous 80 dolla LG phone does a perfect job and is perfectly capable of running Bubbleupnp control point to push music from my NAS to the streaming devices for 3 different systems depending on the room i am in....My low aptitude slow 80 dolla LG beauty doesn't need any storage space. 16 GB is moreeeee than enough cos i don't keep any music on it, my dear hd luuuvvvinn friend...My 80 dolla LG,,,she's slow, but, she's such a beauty. You will have to pry me cold dead hands open to take her away from me.
I do still use storage on my phone, particularly on the road around here where even internet/phone isn't available. If I've got my laptop running can do as you do as well. I haven't gone to that fancy nas setup yet. The cheap phone was fine with use with music and apps other than capacity, as well as a basic phone/texting device ....it lacked in several other areas. I do use bubbleupnp too, great app. We also have a good power outage every year or so, phone is my sanity then. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis