Amp for Martin Logan Motion 60xt Speakers?

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
So I am getting a set of Martin Logan Motion 60xt towers, with a Motion 50xt center, and two Motion 15s for surrounds. Someday I will add two more surrounds and height channels, but I can’t quite yet. I will also have a dynamo 1600x sub but that’s less relevant since it has its own power and my question is power related.

I will be using a Denon 3700x, and I am wondering if I should get a two channel amp to take care of the load of the Motion 60xts, since they are pretty power hungry from what I understand.

Should I worry about this given my current power needs? I have a smallish room (10ish x 15ish, although one side does open up into the broader basement) but I do like to play my movies loud.

If I should consider an amp, would an Emotiva Basx work? How about a Sonance 2-150 Mark II (which I can get at about 2/3 retail). Any other options worth considering?

(Also if it makes more sense just to get a more powerful receiver I am open to that option as well, though that seemed like possibly the less cost effective option.)

Thanks for any help!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I will also have a dynamo 1600x sub but that’s less relevant since it has its own power and my question is power related.
Don't do it

As far as Amps

If you are getting the Denon 3700 I recommend (with your room dimensions) to NOT get external amps until you set your system up with proper placement and run Audyssey. You may not need the amps based on your listening levels. You can always add them

Last edited:
T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Don't do it

As far as Amps

If you are getting the Denon 3700 I recommend (with your room dimensions) to NOT get external amps until you set your system up with proper placement and run Audyssey. You may not need the amps based on your listening levels. You can always add them
That certainly makes sense. But why no on the dynamo? Not too late for me to consider other sub options.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I just feel there are better proven options then the Dynamo 1600x

What's your room dimensions including any large opening to other areas

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
It opens up into an area that I have not measured precisely but is something like 30x15.

As for the sub: unlike the speakers, I wasn’t able to listen in person but it got good reviews from what I saw and I got a decent deal on it. That said, it is easy enough to return that one piece and replace. Maybe I’ll keep looking on subs. If you have any recs in a similar price range I would be all ears!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are better Subs. And for less $$$.

Support the Outlaw 2220 recommendation! Also support waiting until after you set it up and get some sense of whether you need Amps.
This is a great tool to help you out in the meantime... figuring out what you are likely to experience:
Peak SPL Calculator

No reason to upgrade AVRs unless you need a feature not found in the 3700. It takes a doubling of power to have a 3dB increase in SPL... so 20-40 Watts difference doesn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of cost.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It opens up into an area that I have not measured precisely but is something like 30x15.

As for the sub: unlike the speakers, I wasn’t able to listen in person but it got good reviews from what I saw and I got a decent deal on it. That said, it is easy enough to return that one piece and replace. Maybe I’ll keep looking on subs. If you have any recs in a similar price range I would be all ears!

2 Subs for the retail cost of that ML. ;) These will likely rock your world with clean output and excellent quality bass.

:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How good a deal did you get on the Dynamo X1600? For me it'd be about the deal, its list price is too high IMO, tho. No reason to match brand of sub to speakers either fwiw.

I'd also get the avr first then see if you really need an external amp....that's the nice thing about having an avr with pre-outs, to give you that flexibility.

Those speakers have a sensitivity spec of 94dB, which will help stretch out your amp spec.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
2 Subs for the retail cost of that ML. ;) These will likely rock your world with clean output and excellent quality bass.

:D
Stealing my Thunder

I'd recommend these
SVS PB-2000 Pro

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I demo’d the 35xt’s with matching center on a few scenes of Interstellar and I must say with a little positioning the speakers are just gone and you only hear the soundtrack. I think you’re really going to love them, but they definitely need a lot of subwoofer help... of course I haven’t listened to the 60xt either.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Motion 60XTs are good speakers. :)
For my taste, I felt MA Silver 500s were better, and no contest between Silver 300 and the Motion 40s...

But on any kind of discount, the Motion 60XTs become a very good buy. :D

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Figure he wants a 15" sub, lets give him 2 that will massage his spleen and settle the foundation of his home at the same time.
:cool:
(Something that ML likely won't do.)
Heh, I like this sentiment.

The Motion 60XTs are good speakers. :)
For my taste, I felt MA Silver 500s were better, and no contest between Silver 300 and the Motion 40s...

But on any kind of discount, the Motion 60XTs become a very good buy. :D
Yeah I think they sound great *and* I got a pretty good discount so I am quite happy.

Thanks for the help, all.

A

austinrafael

Enthusiast
So I am getting a set of Martin Logan Motion 60xt towers, with a Motion 50xt center, and two Motion 15s for surrounds. Someday I will add two more surrounds and height channels, but I can’t quite yet. I will also have a dynamo 1600x sub but that’s less relevant since it has its own power and my question is power related.

I will be using a Denon 3700x, and I am wondering if I should get a two channel amp to take care of the load of the Motion 60xts, since they are pretty power hungry from what I understand.

Should I worry about this given my current power needs? I have a smallish room (10ish x 15ish, although one side does open up into the broader basement) but I do like to play my movies loud.

If I should consider an amp, would an Emotiva Basx work? How about a Sonance 2-150 Mark II (which I can get at about 2/3 retail). Any other options worth considering?

(Also if it makes more sense just to get a more powerful receiver I am open to that option as well, though that seemed like possibly the less cost effective option.)

Thanks for any help!
Hi, I am hoping to be where you are -

I have a 3700h, just picked up a 50XT, and am hoping to play the waiting game on some 60XTs, or 35XTs if I can't swing it. I have two subs currently - a PB1000 Pro, and a DSW 660i.

How did your setup end up? Anything you'd caution against or for?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis