The one? Ultra Blue Ray Player

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Is there a "The one" Ultra HD/Blue Ray Player on the market? Need to pick one up soon and yes I am being lazy, really appreciate any suggestions. Oh, looking for the best audio quality, will be next to an apple tv, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

The Panasonic UB420 is my favorite. I also like the Sony UBP-X700 but it has issues with freezing if you don't get it lifted up off the table on some short stilts so airflow can cool the bottom.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Sony UBP-X800m2 is also a good 4K blu-ray player. It has the advantage over the Panasonic as it will handle SACD and DVD Audio discs as well.
I own the previous UBP-X800 model and I am very satisfied with it. As a matter of fact, it performs just as well as my OPPO UDP-203.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Yeah! But at more than 3 times the price of the Sony, and it won't play SACD or DVD-A discs. IMO, it isn't worth the price difference.
Good point and understood that it isn’t for everyone but it is a terrific player, and in my case I already had another means to play SACD or DVD-A discs via my Marantz UD7007 that the Panny replaced.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
This will work well for your needs.

Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I took it back, lol it started to freeze up when streaming. 4K disc all good, but here's the thing, I found out for some reason Netflix app has been the cause of most of the freezes. So I went and picked up a Sony X700 again. I spoke with a Sony CS guy, it is a CEC issue when streaming, they are aware of it. He told me if it freezes up again to just unplug it wait a few minutes. Turn it back on and do a Factory reset. That clears up Memory settings. Between the two the Sony does Perform better, loads faster, sounds better. Something is up with the Netflix app it's the only app it would freeze up on. Netflix has this thing when watching shows it stops in between shows after say you been watching 4 or 5 Episodes in a row. netflix will ask you if you want to continue or exist. I would get up do things like go to the bathroom or fix something to eat come back hit Continue I would get nothing from the remote would not respond anything. So yeah, Dam Netflix all this time. Oh and here's the thing when I went back to Walmart got my money back on the LG. went to the elect dept, guess what! they had the Sony on sale for $134.99! the reg price is $179.99. So I added 3 years warranty for 16.99. It did freeze up once on Netflix, dam Netflix app! Did like Sony CS said and hasn't done it again, yet.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You mean you guys already don't have a blu ray drive that can run 4k discs on your gaming PCs?!?! Man....that's tough.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Ok so, seems like Sony is the way to go. The 1100 is twice the price of the 800, what are you paying for? Both seem to provide hifi sound and both are "smart" and play both disks. what am I missing?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I took it back, lol it started to freeze up when streaming. 4K disc all good, but here's the thing, I found out for some reason Netflix app has been the cause of most of the freezes. So I went and picked up a Sony X700 again. I spoke with a Sony CS guy, it is a CEC issue when streaming, they are aware of it. He told me if it freezes up again to just unplug it wait a few minutes. Turn it back on and do a Factory reset. That clears up Memory settings. Between the two the Sony does Perform better, loads faster, sounds better. Something is up with the Netflix app it's the only app it would freeze up on. Netflix has this thing when watching shows it stops in between shows after say you been watching 4 or 5 Episodes in a row. netflix will ask you if you want to continue or exist. I would get up do things like go to the bathroom or fix something to eat come back hit Continue I would get nothing from the remote would not respond anything. So yeah, Dam Netflix all this time. Oh and here's the thing when I went back to Walmart got my money back on the LG. went to the elect dept, guess what! they had the Sony on sale for $134.99! the reg price is $179.99. So I added 3 years warranty for 16.99. It did freeze up once on Netflix, dam Netflix app! Did like Sony CS said and hasn't done it again, yet.
That explains why I have never had a freeze up. I never stream from a disc player. I stream via HTPC only on our great room system, in the AV room, mainly HTPC, but use the TV app. for Netflix and Amazon, with eARC return. I would never have considered a disc player to be a suitable streaming device.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That explains why I have never had a freeze up. I never stream from a disc player. I stream via HTPC only on our great room system, in the AV room, mainly HTPC, but use the TV app. for Netflix and Amazon, with eARC return. I would never have considered a disc player to be a suitable streaming device.
Doc, You and few other AH members have been trying to tell me that, but nooo ole Walker gotta hard head!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@Gmoney You might like streaming from Firestick 4K or a Roku. Using the Blu-ray player is going to limit which services you can choose.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The 1100x only has 2ch analog output....but for that price I was expecting a full set of analog outs....
You really don't need to spend more than $249 for a good 4K player Sonny 700 or Pano 420 work great.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the x700 supports DV while the x800 does not if one has a DV capable TV. The x700 can be had for a buck fifty right now at BB.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis