Loud but cheap center channel for a very large garage?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I friend is setting up a TV and sound system in his pole barn to watch football games while drinking beer, turn wrenches while drinking beer, drinking beer, etc. He presently has a refrigerator stocked with beer, and a Marantz 6006 (one of my old ones) paired with two very large and very old speakers that are loud but have modest sound quality (he's okay with the sound of these old speakers). However, he's interested in a center channel for watching TV. The TV is located about 10 feet high on a wall that is about 20 feet high. I estimate the total volume of the building to be roughly 80,000 cubic feet.

Would it even make sense to add a center channel? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for something (probably used) that is loud and cheap ($100 or so) with reasonable sound quality in the freqency range of the human voice? It would not need to be pretty, just loud.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Surf the craigslist adds would be my best guess. Accessories4less.com may have some good refurb deals also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I friend is setting up a TV and sound system in his pole barn to watch football games while drinking beer, turn wrenches while drinking beer, drinking beer, etc. He presently has a refrigerator stocked with beer, and a Marantz 6006 (one of my old ones) paired with two very large and very old speakers that are loud but have modest sound quality (he's okay with the sound of these old speakers). However, he's interested in a center channel for watching TV. The TV is located about 10 feet high on a wall that is about 20 feet high. I estimate the total volume of the building to be roughly 80,000 cubic feet.

Would it even make sense to add a center channel? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for something (probably used) that is loud and cheap ($100 or so) with reasonable sound quality in the freqency range of the human voice? It would not need to be pretty, just loud.
He can and does watch TV on the pair of old speakers now? I question why he "needs a center channel for TV"???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where are the pair of speakers relative to the tv? Maybe a pro/PA type speaker, maybe something new from Behringer unless something used pops up....

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Where are the pair of speakers relative to the tv? Maybe a pro/PA type speaker, maybe something new from Behringer unless something used pops up....
I should take a look at the setup. As I understand it, the existing speakers are on a first wall and he uses these primarily for music. I believe the TV is on a second wall near the corner with the first wall. Thus, when watching the TV the existing speakers are both to the right of the viewer.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I appreciate the suggestions from everyone.

My prior description of the setup was not 100% accurate. He has two old bookshelf speakers (Fisher, I believe) that he will be mounting on either side of the TV and he's looking for a center channel to go with the old bookshelf speakers. The rest of the information is correct (the very large old speakers I mentioned previously are mounted on a sidewall but he's not planning to use those speakers while watching TV)

If the old bookshelf speakers prove to be inadequate he will be replacing them.

Not sure if that changes anyone's thoughts on the center channel.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If the old bookshelf speakers prove to be inadequate he will be replacing them.

Not sure if that changes anyone's thoughts on the center channel.
The Bic Center recommendation above can still work

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Find a old Yamaha pro two way 15” speaker
I’ve used one for the last 8 years and it keeps up with Cornwall’s and K-horns with little power
In this pic I have my H1’s and I have to turn the Yamaha down to a -10 and the H1’s to a +8 to get the levels close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
My opinion for that huge space would be something with horns. Maybe some old JBL or klipsch speakers off Craigslist. Or maybe even pro audio speakers. Prob lots of them for sale these days.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis