T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I purchased online and just received recently a Marantz 6014 that was on sale. I placed the order before the Denon 3600H was discounted and after seeing all of the posts here I was wondering if I should return it and order the Denon. Both the 6014 and the 3600h on sale were below my original conceived budget of around $1500, give or take, which is definitely not a bad thing, but I guess I am also wondering if I should look at the 2020 models and/or look at the next level up (3700h, 4500h, 4700h or sr7013).

I am running a 5.1 system that will be used probably around 80/20 or possibly even 90/10 for movies/TV and music. I have an older plasma TV that I am not intending to replace immediately, but may do so in the next year or 2. Accordingly, I thought maybe it might be helpful to have all the latest and greatest options for video connections on the receiver (HDR10+, Dolby Vision etc.).

In your opinion is it worth returning the 6014 for the 3600h or 3700h since I already have the former? Notwithstanding the review that indicates that the Denons tested better, would I likely notice any sound difference? And would there be enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to move to a higher level, but older receiver? I suppose perhaps the best, but most expensive option might be to go with the 4700h, but I would probably need to wait for them to fix the 2.1 bug - although I am not a gamer.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've been lurking for a bit and just joined.

I purchased online and just received recently a Marantz 6014 that was on sale. I placed the order before the Denon 3600H was discounted and after seeing all of the posts here I was wondering if I should return it and order the Denon. Both the 6014 and the 3600h on sale were below my original conceived budget of around $1500, give or take, which is definitely not a bad thing, but I guess I am also wondering if I should look at the 2020 models and/or look at the next level up (3700h, 4500h, 4700h or sr7013).

I am running a 5.1 system that will be used probably around 80/20 or possibly even 90/10 for movies/TV and music. I have an older plasma TV that I am not intending to replace immediately, but may do so in the next year or 2. Accordingly, I thought maybe it might be helpful to have all the latest and greatest options for video connections on the receiver (HDR10+, Dolby Vision etc.).

In your opinion is it worth returning the 6014 for the 3600h or 3700h since I already have the former? Notwithstanding the review that indicates that the Denons tested better, would I likely notice any sound difference? And would there be enough of a difference to make it worthwhile to move to a higher level, but older receiver? I suppose perhaps the best, but most expensive option might be to go with the 4700h, but I would probably need to wait for them to fix the 2.1 bug - although I am not a gamer.

Opinions?
Don't waste time and get the Denon 3600H. It's a better performer. Here a serious review for this AVR:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I also suggest that you read post #8 of the following thread:

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I've been lurking for a bit and just joined.

In my opinion, I would stay with the 6014. It has a few more features than the Denon 3600. My guess is you may have paid more for it?

On the other hand, if you can save money by going to the Denon 3600 and your return window is still open then I would buy the Denon 3600 and return the Marantz 6014. While the Denon measured better in the ASR review I doubt you will hear the difference.

Both of these receivers are exceptional. You can't go wrong either way!

11.png

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Unless you paid more than $899 for the Marantz, I'd probably just keep it if it were me.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed with others, return it only if there is a saving to be made by going with the 3600. The 6014 has additional features such as the 7.1 analog input, but if you don't use them then it just take up rooms and became unnecessary added complexity. The X4700H's downmix related issue is not an issue unique to the X4700H, it likely affects the 3600 and other models too, but this so called "bug" is hardly a "bug" that Denon would ever fix. I don't know why people would want to "down mix" anyway, but apparently so do.:D

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Unless you paid more than $899 for the Marantz, I'd probably just keep it if it were me.
Thanks everyone. Yes, I paid $899 for it. I figured they would sell out pretty quickly at that price and they did (on Amazon at least, I think there are a couple of places they may still be selling at the lower price), so I ordered one.

So, yes, I could save $100, which is not nothing, and returns are free, but honestly, had I not seen the 3600 review and all of the discussion about it, I would have probably chosen the 6014 over it if there were only a $100 difference between them. The small display notwithstanding, I like the Marantz look a little more and I feel like the build may be slightly better (not sure if that's true or just my perception).

If there is unlikely to be a noticeable difference in sound notwithstanding any measurement differences, I am probably inclined to keep it. I could also buy a 3600 for comparison purposes and keep the one I like most, but again, if the sound is going to be essentially the same, it seems like it would be an unnecessary waste of time.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
The X4700H's downmix related issue is not an issue unique to the X4700H, it likely affects the 3600 and other models too, but this so called "bug" is hardly a "bug" that Denon would ever fix. I don't know why people would want to "down mix" anyway, but apparently so do.:D
What is the "down mix" issue to which you are referring? I know about the HDMI 2.1 bug.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If there is unlikely to be a noticeable difference in sound
Speakers, Room Acoustics, your room Dimensions, the Materials in your room, all contribute to the sound you hear. AVR's do not. A Quality AVR w/ proper Specs provide Clean Power and Connectivity.

That's why you sit in The Sweet Spot between your speakers not in between your AVR

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Hmm. So, new Anthems to be released in December. They look nice. Waiting for more info, but is the $800-$900 premium for the MRX540 ($1599) likely to be worth considering over the Marantz/Denon (6014/3600)?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Hmm. So, new Anthems to be released in December. They look nice. Waiting for more info, but is the $800-$900 premium for the MRX540 ($1599) likely to be worth considering over the Marantz/Denon (6014/3600)?
Hard to say. You always get a better price buying the prior year model. Just depends on what you feel you are giving up that you may or may not need now or near future. Personally, I wouldn't worry much about anything beyond what the 3600/6014 currently offer unless you are extremely interested in 4k/120 gaming. But it looks like there are lots of issues with those newer hdmi cards anyway, so it may be a while before that all gets sorted out anyway.

$799/$899 for those two units seems hard to beat for the features though.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Even if the Anthem MRX540 turns out to be an excellent performer I still like the Denon 3600

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Even if the Anthem MRX540 turns out to be an excellent performer I still like the Denon 3600
My 3600 should be here sometime today via UPS. Plan to get the 7 speakers all hooked up and wired in place this weekend. Not sure when the sub will ship from RSL, but that will be the final piece in having the garage gym setup up and going.

On a separate note, my son watched A Quiet Place last night on the living room system while I was back in the bedroom. There were a few moments that I had to go look out the windows because I kept swearing I was hearing thunder. But once I felt the bed vibrating a little it dawned on me I was hearing/feeling that PSA TV18ipal working it's magic. LOL

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Denon 3600 at $799 is definitely the best deal going. It's hard to imagine any other receiver with these measurements and features at anything close to $799. I would not be surprised to see this deal end soon.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
My 3600 should be here sometime today via UPS. Plan to get the 7 speakers all hooked up and wired in place this weekend. Not sure when the sub will ship from RSL, but that will be the final piece in having the garage gym setup up and going.

On a separate note, my son watched A Quiet Place last night on the living room system while I was back in the bedroom. There were a few moments that I had to go look out the windows because I kept swearing I was hearing thunder. But once I felt the bed vibrating a little it dawned on me I was hearing/feeling that PSA TV18ipal working it's magic. LOL
I would love to hear your thoughts when it is set up. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, I just received a 6014 that I ordered prior to the 3600 price drop. It is still in the box as I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet and I was questioning if I should keep it, return it for the 3600, or maybe buy a 3600 and try them both. I had also been looking at the Anthems prior to the purchase, but didn't want to buy something that had been out for 4 years and was likely to be replaced very soon.

I guess I should set up the 6014 this weekend and see what I think.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I would love to hear your thoughts when it is set up. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, I just received a 6014 that I ordered prior to the 3600 price drop. It is still in the box as I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet and I was questioning if I should keep it, return it for the 3600, or maybe buy a 3600 and try them both. I had also been looking at the Anthems prior to the purchase, but didn't want to buy something that had been out for 4 years and was likely to be replaced very soon.

I guess I should set up the 6014 this weekend and see what I think.
Set it up and see what you think. I had wondered if I should spend the extra $100 for the 6014, but since it isn't for a main system it just didn't make sense in my case. The 3600 is already way overkill for my intended use, but I decided it offered some redundancy benefits should my main AVR ever go down, plus it could be moved to a bedroom or other system if we ever decommission the setup in our garage gym. And lastly, it just wasn't that much more than the lower mid-level avr's like the yamaha RX-V685/RX-A780 type units.

In your case if you don't have use for the extra 6014 features, here is how I would decide. If the place you purchased offers "free" returns and full refund then here would be my criteria.

1.) Do you prefer the larger display of 3600 over 6014?
2.) Is saving $100 worth the time you will expend doing the return/repurchase?
3.) Do you have the free credit capacity to float the new purchase while you await the refund (since you would be taking a risk to return one and wait for refund to buy other one).

At end of the day, the units are so closely matched, unless there is a fault with the one you have, it probably just makes most sense to keep it and hook it up...................

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
In your case if you don't have use for the extra 6014 features, here is how I would decide. If the place you purchased offers "free" returns and full refund then here would be my criteria.

I bought it through Amazon, so yes it does. And the return period is through January 31, 2021, so I have some time.

1.) Do you prefer the larger display of 3600 over 6014?

I do, but not a deal breaker. And I prefer the look generally of the 6014.

2.) Is saving $100 worth the time you will expend doing the return/repurchase?

Probably not -- at least not after it is set up. Otherwise, it is no big deal.

3.) Do you have the free credit capacity to float the new purchase while you await the refund (since you would be taking a risk to return one and wait for refund to buy other one).

Fortunately, yes.

At end of the day, the units are so closely matched, unless there is a fault with the one you have, it probably just makes most sense to keep it and hook it up...................

Agreed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the "down mix" issue to which you are referring? I know about the HDMI 2.1 bug.
What is the HDMI 2.1 bug? The downmix issue is a little complicated, if you want to learn more about it, read up on the X4700H review at ASR. To me, again, it is a non issue that people seem to want to worry about nothing..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What is the HDMI 2.1 bug? The downmix issue is a little complicated, if you want to learn more about it, read up on the X4700H review at ASR. To me, again, it is a non issue that people seem to want to worry about nothing..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis