Debating whether upgrading to a 2.0/1 receiver or lower

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon keeps you warm in the winter. LOL :)

The Yamahas never run hot.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
There's some things on the internet you believe and there's some things on the internet that you Do Not believe and what you do not believe is Yamaha guys. LOL

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
To be fair 2600 model was 15 years ago.

:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True but it was @VMPS-TIII who as a Denon owner mentioned heat.

personally just run a fan if needed. They are cheap.
I didn't notice him saying anything about Yamaha, that's more ADTGs area :) Some run warmer than others. Using a fan is simple enough.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, can we get back to the main topic here?

I'll give you an example for two avrs I saw 2nd hand, both priced the same:

1. Denon avr x1500h
2. Yamaha rx-a 2020

Again, at the moment my only source is my TV and my turntable (technics sl-q3).

Here's my set up:
LCR: tannoy S6, tannoy S8C
Rear: B&W lm1
sub: SVS pb1000

This is my living room, with an opening to the kitchen (dimension in cm):
1603913632862.png

I'll always feel "guilty" buying a new low end rather than an old high end... Can you relate?

Also, my current avr is an old Yamaha rx-v1500, so i'd be feeling stupid "downgrading" to this Denon for example

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Hey guys, can we get back to the main topic here?

I'll give you an example for two avrs I saw 2nd hand, both priced the same:

1. Denon avr x1500h
2. Yamaha rx-a 2020

Again, at the moment my only source is my TV and my turntable (technics sl-q3).

Here's my set up:
LCR: tannoy S6, tannoy S8C
Rear: B&W lm1
sub: SVS pb1000

This is my living room, with an opening to the kitchen (dimension in cm):
View attachment 41083

I'll always feel "guilty" buying a new low end rather than an old high end... Can you relate?

Also, my current avr is an old Yamaha rx-v1500, so i'd be feeling stupid "downgrading" to this Denon for example
I don't know what you are paying for these used, but if this is your only choice I would go with the Yamaha rx-a 2020. If you are paying anywhere near $500 or above, I would seriously consider a new Denon 3600 marked down to $799 instead. That's the real deal and will last you for awhile.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If you are paying anywhere near $500 or above, I would seriously consider a new Denon 3600 marked down to $799 instead.
I don't know if Crutchfield ships outside the USA because he's not in the USA

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
I don't know if Crutchfield ships outside the USA because he's not in the USA
That's true, I'm not from the US.

Thing is, if the TV is my main source, do I really have a need for an hdmi 2.0?
I play either movies from netflix or an external drive to my TV. The HDR content is playing right from the TV.

Will a I benefit anything from an external streamer? and even so, I can always bypass the avr with arc right? or with a streamer with 2 hdmi ports?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
That's true, I'm not from the US.

Thing is, if the TV is my main source, do I really have a need for an hdmi 2.0?
I play either movies from netflix or an external drive to my TV. The HDR content is playing right from the TV.

Will a I benefit anything from an external streamer? and even so, I can always bypass the avr with arc right? or with a streamer with 2 hdmi ports?
You don't need a streamer. The reason I would want a newer receiver would be for the added surround features, lower use on the unit and the latest Audyssey features. But maybe that doesn't matter?

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
You don't need a streamer. The reason I would want a newer receiver would be for the added surround features, lower use on the unit and the latest Audyssey features. But maybe that doesn't matter?
If by new surround feature you mean atmos (?) than no, not relevant.
What do you mean by "lower use on the unit"?
As for audyssey, don't have much experience with it, but I like to calibrate manually anyway.

A streamer can also play dolby truehd right? opposed to a smart tv? That might be my sole consideration, though I read it's hard to distinguish between the formats anyway.

Thanks again for the help!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If by new surround feature you mean atmos (?) than no, not relevant.
What do you mean by "lower use on the unit"?
As for audyssey, don't have much experience with it, but I like to calibrate manually anyway.

A streamer can also play dolby truehd right? opposed to a smart tv? That might be my sole consideration, though I read it's hard to distinguish between the formats anyway.

Thanks again for the help!
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 vs Denon AVR-X3600H
Here is a list of features the Denon 3600 has that are not supported on the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020:

compare.png

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 vs Denon AVR-X3600H
Here is a list of features the Denon 3600 has that are not supported on the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020:

View attachment 41094

OK.
Non of the atmos features are relevant to me.

Dolby surround upmixer - that could be an upside if it does better than pro logic/DTS neo.
Still, the Denon 3600 is out of my budget, so I'll have to think it over.

What about dacs? Bigger amps on more expensive avr? better audio quality for them?

EDIT:
Just read some good reviews on the denon 3600, I guess what I need is a similar product only without the atmos features that has no use for me - not sure if such exist.

Anyway I'll be looking in the 2d hand market for this Denon as well.
Would you say the equivalent Yamaha would be 1070/1080? in case I'll find one of those on the market

Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so I spend the last couple of days doing a bit of researching.

These are my conclusions:

1. The avr should have an eARC connection.

2. I do want it to have decent amount of power, giving I have tower speakers and a fairly big room.

3. It seems like avr nowadays are not as solid as they used to be. Even my my midrange RX-V1500 seems to be a monster net to Denon 3600. Should I be bothered by it?

4. I have no need for atmos, however it seems couldn't find modern avr without atmos, that have same amount of power as the atmos models.

5. All that leaves me looking for on of the three Dennon 4500/3600 or Yamaha 1080/70.
While I prefer best the 4500, only for the fact it has a big screen and its elegant look. Still, my aim is to buy the cheapest I'd be able get from the three.

Any thoughts? Especially on the unnecessary atmos issue.

Thank again for the expert advices!

Daniel

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
5. All that leaves me looking for on of the three Dennon 4500/3600 or Yamaha 1080/70.
While I prefer best the 4500, only for the fact it has a big screen and its elegant look. Still, my aim is to buy the cheapest I'd be able get from the three.

Any thoughts? Especially on the unnecessary atmos issue
Still, the Denon 3600 is out of my budget, so I'll have to think it over.
All the receivers these days have Atmos so get over it. Doesn't mean you have to use it.

First you say its out of your budget. Now your looking at the 4500. SMH

And you where given advice on the best AVR to get. You came here looking for advice, you where given advice, now your going round and round. Now its up to you to make a decision.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
OK, seems like the x3600h and the x4500h are hard to find here in Israel. The only few I've seen were around 1300-1400 USD and more (if you make the currency conversion).

I did find a quick opportunity to buy an x4400h for about 550$, didn't see much of a different between this model to the former when searching online.

Gonna go for it (probably tomorrow), unless anyone has an insight on that model, couldn't find anything wrong with it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis