V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
You will love the 3600. It offers great measurements, Audyssey and lots of options. It will totally zone you out. You will be listening to music for hours and it will be your drug of choice! :D

111.gif

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hey @Gmoney. I have the 3600. It is a great receiver and I have never had a problem with it. I think you would enjoy it.
That being said I wish I could have went with 4500 only because it doesn’t have Dolby height virtualization witch doesn’t allow cross upmixing.
@CajunLB where you at bro! hit me back with a inbox message!

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Yo! What's up bro! :) Yep gonna try out the 3600. Gotta ask, does it run hot? I don't crank up like I use to mostly stay around
25 to 20 dbs.
It does get a lot warmer than the Yamaha, Pioneer,Onkyo AVR’s I’ve used throughout the years. I have the $ 20 dual a/c finite dual 120mm fans atop my 3600. On low speed they are very quiet and keep the Denon cool. I recommend the fans. The fan kit that @VMPS-TIII linked are what I have also and recommended.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Only thing about all refurbs is that you must check all channels and features to make sure they work.
Andrew, the most important thing is that they should also carry some sort of manufacturer's warranty, shouldn't they? :)

Cheers,
André

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Andrew, the most important thing is that they should also carry some sort of manufacturer's warranty, shouldn't they? :)

Cheers,
André
These days that manufacturer warranty is worth considerably less. They usually don't answer the phone, they barely answer email with people that don't seem to understand many of the issues.

If your unit fails and you did not buy it NEW from a dealer - you have to look into where you can send it. Then, you spend $80 to $100 in shipping and after it gets there - they don't have the parts to fix it? I have waited 6 weeks on my repair. If 2 months pass, Denon says they may offer to replace the Denon 4500 with a replacement unit. Meanwhile, you have no receiver for months.

Is that the fun experience you want with a refurb unit? Welcome to my guided tour of the process. lol

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So the above comments make me think this approach makes some sense. The discounted Denon 3600 or Marantz 6014, while overkill for my garage use, could substitute into my living room system easily should my Yammy 3080 ever go down and need to be sent off for service. They hold many of the capabilities of the 3080 for a fraction of the cost. And to get 9 channels of power in the box from Yammy, I think I would have to step up to a 2080 at least, and I have a 9 channel system in the living room (5.1.4).

This decision is getting tougher and tougher and I have to put a limit on where the dollar return value is. I prefer a cooler running yamaha but the 3600 and 6014 discounts are hard to look away from. And after some soul searching and reading, I just don't think we will really use MusicCast that often (at least between living room and garage anyway).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So the above comments make me think this approach makes some sense. The discounted Denon 3600 or Marantz 6014, while overkill for my garage use, could substitute into my living room system easily should my Yammy 3080 ever go down and need to be sent off for service. They hold many of the capabilities of the 3080 for a fraction of the cost. And to get 9 channels of power in the box from Yammy, I think I would have to step up to a 2080 at least, and I have a 9 channel system in the living room (5.1.4).

This decision is getting tougher and tougher and I have to put a limit on where the dollar return value is. I prefer a cooler running yamaha but the 3600 and 6014 discounts are hard to look away from. And after some soul searching and reading, I just don't think we will really use MusicCast that often (at least between living room and garage anyway).
How many channels are you using in the garage? If it’s only 2ch you could just run zone 2 from another AVR. Is the 3080 near enough to run speaker wire to the garage?

I just use zone2 in my garage and with the Musiccast app I named it Garage. It’s like having an extra AVR.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
No, the garage has my old deftech setup in it, so it is 7.1.0. It is connected to 40" TV and Apple TV so we can stream music or work out videos. Would be easiest to just have an avr out there.

Doesn't have to be a super high end unit of course and I don't care about 8k compatibility. Was just thinking if a mediocre unit is going to cost $500, but I could get a really nice unit for a reasonable amount more it made some sense. The benefit to the ones mentioned above is they could substitute temporarily in my main system without missing a beat should that AVR need repair. Silly thought I guess, but trying to think of long term planning and redundancy.

I had gravitated to the A780 due to the price of the refurb and the fact that it would be a Yammy and have musiccast. At this point, I think the musiccast feature is not one that I'll really need for that room, but overall flexibility is of value.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
These days that manufacturer warranty is worth considerably less. They usually don't answer the phone, they barely answer email with people that don't seem to understand many of the issues.

If your unit fails and you did not buy it NEW from a dealer - you have to look into where you can send it. Then, you spend $80 to $100 in shipping and after it gets there - they don't have the parts to fix it? I have waited 6 weeks on my repair. If 2 months pass, Denon says they may offer to replace the Denon 4500 with a replacement unit. Meanwhile, you have no receiver for months.

Is that the fun experience you want with a refurb unit? Welcome to my guided tour of the process. lol
I wish I had ten bucks for every time I heard this sob story over and over and over we get it you're unhappy with Denon you had a bad experience you abused the receiver (did I say that?) something went wrong you could fry an egg on it it was so hot we understand

I could have bought a set of Focal Utopias by now

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, the garage has my old deftech setup in it, so it is 7.1.0. It is connected to 40" TV and Apple TV so we can stream music or work out videos. Would be easiest to just have an avr out there.

Doesn't have to be a super high end unit of course and I don't care about 8k compatibility. Was just thinking if a mediocre unit is going to cost $500, but I could get a really nice unit for a reasonable amount more it made some sense. The benefit to the ones mentioned above is they could substitute temporarily in my main system without missing a beat should that AVR need repair. Silly thought I guess, but trying to think of long term planning and redundancy.
Is the 3080 a refurbished unit?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I wish I had ten bucks for every time I heard this sob story over and over and over we get it you're unhappy with Denon you had a bad experience you abused the receiver (did I say that?) something went wrong you could fry an egg on it it was so hot we understand

:rolleyes:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

Hell, I just wish I had ten bucks. Spot me?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Well I wouldn’t think it would fail in many years. The worry they are describing is with refurb units that weren’t really fixed right.
So by that comment, you'd stick with a new and cheaper RX-A780 versus the AVR-3600H for this room? The 780 would be $150 cheaper when comparing new to new (sale price). I could get the 780 new through BB for local support as well, but they don't have the 3600 discounted.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Denon 3600 or Marantz 6014,
You know I love you but I'm Stump'd, Stupefied how you can ask this question knowing that the Denon 3600 measures extremely well and is highly recommended from some of the most knowledgeable members on this forum. Yet you still ask or, or this one, or that one. What about this, what about that. For a couple of hundred dollars more to get an outstanding unit even if it's got more features than you need I don't see how this is even a question. What are you doing waiting until it sells out and then we start this process all over again.
emoji.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis