Upgrade speakers or AV receiver first?

P

primalspy

Audioholic Intern
Not to be an assh_le but your Sony's aren't half the speakers I've suggested.
I don’t doubt that my Sony’s aren’t half as good & that’s why I’m reaching out to learn from others.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ya..thanks for the info. If I could find a small speaker that has great sound, I would go for it. I would go for the RSL CG23's that only have x2 4" woofers in an MTM configuration in a heartbeat if I knew they could compete with the Sony's.
If you want a smaller type center then look at the Q Acoustics Concept center

Along with the JBL Studio 520 center, and the RSL center

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do a little research on these, but if they fit your budget, I don't think you can find better!
Unfortunately, JBL is not showing when the sale will end, so either be fairly quick or willing to wait a couple of months if you are interested!
I'm blind!
It looks like this sale ends Sunday around midnight Pacific Standard Time!
There is a countdown timer just above where "Studio 570" is specified:

Last edited:
P

primalspy

Audioholic Intern
The Sony sells for $199. The Monoprice THX tower would be a huge upgrade.
I noticed that Monoprice makes just about everything. Outs hard for me to take them seriously since they make air fryers & guitars

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I noticed that Monoprice makes just about everything. Outs hard for me to take them seriously since they make air fryers & guitars
Well the only good thing Sony ever made was a Walkman and a PlayStation but at least they made them themselves not like Monoprice that has others build them for them

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Once you listen to the Monoprice THX-460T you go wow that is really good. I use to think Samsung was just a cheap DVD player company.

The other option for a smaller room is the Monoprice THX-365T.

Monolith finds some of the best designs and contracts these companies to build quantity for them to resell. You just have to find the gems in the plethora of product.

P

primalspy

Audioholic Intern
OP, I would also make sure your speakers are properly level matched.
Also, what program/s that center is not clear? Do you have this setup connected to cable TV channels? If so, how does it sound on a news program.
I find that on many programs the recording quality if bad, music too high compared to voice, too much mumbling, etc. But, interestingly news channels are crystal clear along with commercials.
Hello, the television isn’t connected to cable or over the air television.
I only use this system to stream movies & music. I do have plans on connecting it to my HD over the air antenna soon.

P

primalspy

Audioholic Intern
Well the only good thing Sony ever made was a Walkman and a PlayStation but at least they made them themselves not like Monoprice that has others build them for them
That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Speakers made by a speaker company.

P

primalspy

Audioholic Intern
How big is your room and how far away from the front speakers do you sit?
I know it is just under $600, but two 570's and a 520 is better than anything I can think of at $1000 for the front 3! (Consider that the MSRP for these would be $1550). It is hard to compete when you are getting such deep discounts (on good quality speakers).
The only hesitation on the 570's is they will not play as loud as the 590's. However the 530 bookshelf only uses one of the 5-1/4" drivers and has long been a favorite of people who have heard them! The 570's are more efficient and will go louder than the 530's so I doubt it is an issue unless you really like to crank it!
I should mention that lovinthehd, who responded to your post several times above is big-time into this stuff and he has the 590's and 520 (?) as his long term solution!
The room is about 12x10. I am sitting about 9 feet away from the speakers. BTW I’m not looking for larger speakers. I’m looking for better quality. All of the details are in my original post. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Monoprice doesn't make much themselves. What they do is either put their stamp on existing manufactured goods or arrange to have some made by an ODM/OEM. For the Monolith THX stuff, Monoprice outsources that to a loudspeaker design and manufacturing company called Claridy. Claridy is a very competent loudspeaker designer and manufacturer.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
MY OPINION

Move your sony speakers to the back for surrounds. Then combine your AVR budget and speaker budget and order these:

You will get amazing front end speakers with the free center speaker. Run the front end as full size for now until you can add a sub later. I did that for a few weeks waiting in my sub to arrive and They can handle a lot of low end very well.

then save up $400 to buy something like an RSL subwoofer or more for a larger sub.

and save up another $600 or more for a mid range AVR and you’re set. Something like a Yamaha RX-V6A or Denon equivalent.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do you think Ascend or SVS make their own speakers?
That is not the way it is done these days! Ascend and (I was corrected, Ascend may source their cabinets from China, but speakers are assembled in the US!) SVS design their own speakers, but then they contract with an "external" facility in China to build these designs. SVS or Ascend may travel there once in a blue moon to do some QC checks, but more likely, they just pick a few products out of each shipment that arrives to verify that quality has not drifted, and it is up to the manufacturing facility to maintain acceptable quality standards (as specified in the contract) on a day to day basis.
A large company like Sony probably manufacturers in their own facility (a production plant dedicated exclusively to Sony products) because they have enough volume and variety of products to justify a corporate production facility. So, if that is your criteria for quality, Sony is the winner!

Let's make some distinctions here:
Monoprice is a distributor of (primarily) audio gear, perhaps best known for inexpensive (but capable) cables and wires for connecting audio. In a world where BestBuy will sell you an AVR at a good price and then "get you" with overpriced Monster Cable interconnects, that is not a bad thing, however Monoprice was not known for especially high quality!

Enter Monoprice's Monolith line of products! - These are high quality products which have been outsourced from well respected manufacturers. Most importantly, they tend to offer these products at prices below what other companies are selling the equivalent product for.

It would be a mistake to write these products off as unworthy simply because they are being distributed by another company!
Probably the most impressive example of this is the Monoprice sells Monolith amplifiers that are designed and made in the USA by well established amp builder ATI who builds amps for high-end companies like Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL Synthesis, Cary Audio, Theta Digital, and B+K . The Monolith represents a value that cannot be beat for a very well designed strong (200W/300W into 8ohm/4ohm) amplifier at a reasonable price!

I have not heard their speakers, but Claridy is, indeed, a respected designer of speakers. More to the point, ShadyJ has measured and reviewed some of the Monolith speakers for official Audioholics reviews and they have proven to be great speakers for the price.
At 50% off, I still think the JBL's represent a better value (and the 570 should be about the same size as your Sony towers).

Last, I do not believe the Sony deserves to be so readily discounted as an inferior speaker! The Sony Core series was designed as a response to Andrew Jones' Pioneer budget speakers! Just as Gene recommends them, if you are restricted to MSRP, these Sony's are great speakers and (to my ear) are enough better than Jones' design to justify the added cost. On occasions when the Sonys are discounted, they represent incredible value (I paid $108 for my pair of Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers on 11/21/16 via Amazon and cannot think any new speaker that has ever been better at that price (aside from "the Great DCM TimePiece Clearance" being discounted for ~$80/pr that ran a couple of years ago)!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you think Ascend or SVS make their own speakers?
That is not the way it is done these days! Ascend and SVS design their own speakers, but then they contract with an "external" facility in China to build these designs. SVS or Ascend may travel there once in a blue moon to do some QC checks, but more likely, they just pick a few products out of each shipment that arrives to verify that quality has not drifted, and it is up to the manufacturing facility to maintain acceptable quality standards (as specified in the contract) on a day to day basis.
A large company like Sony probably manufacturers in their own facility (a production plant dedicated exclusively to Sony products) because they have enough volume and variety of products to justify a corporate production facility. So, if that is your criteria for quality, Sony is the winner!

Let's make some distinctions here:
Monoprice is a distributor of (primarily) audio gear, perhaps best known for inexpensive (but capable) cables and wires for connecting audio. In a world where BestBuy will sell you an AVR at a good price and then "get you" with overpriced Monster Cable interconnects, that is not a bad thing, however Monoprice was not known for especially high quality!

Enter Monoprice's Monolith line of products! - These are high quality products which have been outsourced from well respected manufacturers. Most importantly, they tend to offer these products at prices below what other companies are selling the equivalent product for.

It would be a mistake to write these products off as unworthy simply because they are being distributed by another company!
Probably the most impressive example of this is the Monoprice sold Monolith amplifiers that are designed and made in the USA by well established amp builder ATI who builds amps for high-end companies like Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL Synthesis, Cary Audio, Theta Digital, and B+K . The Monolith represents a value that cannot be beat for a very well designed strong (200W/300W into 8ohm/4ohm) amplifier at a reasonable price!

I have not heard their speakers, but Claridy is, indeed, a respected designer of speakers. More to the point, ShadyJ has measured and reviewed some of the Monolith speakers for official Audioholics reviews and they have proven to be great speakers for the price.
At 50% off, I think the JBL's represent a better value (and the 570 should be about the same size as your Sony towers).

Last, I do not believe the Sony deserves to be so readily discounted as an inferior speaker! The Sony Core series was designed as a response to Andrew Jones' Pioneer budget speakers! Just as Gene recommends them, if you are restricted to MSRP, these Sony's are great speakers and (to my ear) are enough better than Jones' design to justify the added cost. On occasions when the Sonys are discounted, they represent incredible value (I paid $108 for my pair of Sony SSCS5 bookshelf speakers on 11/21/16 via Amazon and cannot think any new speaker that has ever been better at that price (aside from "the Great DCM TimePiece Clearance" being discounted for ~$80/pr that ran a couple of years ago)!
I could be wrong but believe Ascend sources their bamboo cabinets in China, possibly other components as well, but think assembly remains in their facility in SoCal......

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I could be wrong but believe Ascend sources their bamboo cabinets in China, possibly other components as well, but think assembly remains in their facility in SoCal......
I know my Sierra Towers were built in the USA. I have pictures of the assembly process. :D

building.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis