rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
I was hoping to hear some feedback before mine arrived, but..to late, they just got here. White finish, looks really great. Can't tell you how excited I am to receive these speakers. I've listened to the original LS50's actives at a best buy and really enjoyed them. First impressions, using an emo G3, plays very well below 85 db in fact probably best bookshelf I've heard until you turn it up. Can not play below 70hz-ish above 90bd without distortion, (90db at 6 feet away). Maybe I got broken speakers. Will be returning, very disappointed. I haven't taken measurements with REW but I feel like its waste of time at this point, because they're $1,500 per pair and sound horrible when you turn them up.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So the Question is, what's next?

Were these for a 2 channel music system?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
They really need a subwoofer or two with bass management if you're planning on playing them loud.

You're dealing with a 5 1/4" midwoofer with a big hole in its middle for the tweeter, so it isn't even really 5 1/4". And the surround they use for it really limits excursion.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Yes, your correct. I was expecting more and I was mistaken.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
steven, the plan was to listen/audition and then determine the best place to put them in my home. I have several spots open including the HT, a two channel setup(garage) or the office, also 2 channel.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
If you are powering them with an AVR but don't have a subwoofer, set the AVR as if you do, then set the crossover to 60Hz. That will prevent low bass from being sent to the speakers, which will reduce their cone movement and distortion when playing loud.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
$1500 for a pair of bookshelf speakers? Are you kidding me? They are currently on backorder, as are the expensive stands $500.00! Guess KEF can't make a deal with Communist China Wuhan Virus Maker slave labor camps to get them on the market NOW! Wait a few months, get 'em refurbished from Accessories 4 Less :cool:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I was hoping to hear some feedback before mine arrived, but..to late, they just got here. White finish, looks really great. Can't tell you how excited I am to receive these speakers. I've listened to the original LS50's actives at a best buy and really enjoyed them. First impressions, using an emo G3, plays very well below 85 db in fact probably best bookshelf I've heard until you turn it up. Can not play below 70hz-ish above 90bd without distortion, (90db at 6 feet away). Maybe I got broken speakers. Will be returning, very disappointed. I haven't taken measurements with REW but I feel like its waste of time at this point, because they're $1,500 per pair and sound horrible when you turn them up.
Long time owner of the original passive LS50's here, since 2013. You obviously have a broken pair from the sounds of it.

I've had mine set-up with, and without a sub, and playing above 90dB has never, ever been a problem and without any break-up whatsoever. Obviously a sub or two, even better, will help with the low end and soundstage.

I currently have them hooked-up to a Yammy RX-A2040 AVR with a single Velodyne 8" sub in a 20'x20' room with a vaulted ceiling and previously to a Yammy RX-A3000 AVR with two SVS SB-2000 subs in a 14'x14' room and like I said, no issues whatsoever.

Hands down the best set of bookshelves I've ever owned and from the various demo's at B&M shops, when I was shopping for a pair of bookshelves, they sounded better than some bookshelves at twice the price at that time. This was verified by the missus, and brought them to my attention when shopping, who some have remarked has 'golden ears', meaning she didn't abuse them by going to a lot of loud rock concerts in her youth, like myself. She prefers classical music.

I'd seriously consider having them replaced and give the new Meta's a chance, from all the written & video reviews I've read and seen.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
sound horrible when you turn them up.
This should not happen. I also have passive first version, but I've heared them in various settings and I've heared the active old version. Read all the ASR tests as well as all the available tests, white papers, did my own spectrograms (as limited as they were)...

Quite honestly, to make a speaker that doesn't go above 90 without horrible distortions in 2012 and have the whole world reving about them for 8 years... I just don't see it.

My guess is something was wrong in the set up you listned to.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This should not happen. I also have passive first version, but I've heared them in various settings and I've heared the active old version. Read all the ASR tests as well as all the available tests, white papers, did my own spectrograms (as limited as they were)...

Quite honestly, to make a speaker that doesn't go above 90 without horrible distortions in 2012 and have the whole world reving about them for 8 years... I just don't see it.

My guess is something was wrong in the set up you listned to.
What does 90dB mean? At what distance and in what acoustic conditions? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss these speakers on one random person's experience in ambiguous listening conditions.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
$1500 for a pair of bookshelf speakers? Are you kidding me? They are currently on backorder, as are the expensive stands $500.00! Guess KEF can't make a deal with Communist China Wuhan Virus Maker slave labor camps to get them on the market NOW! Wait a few months, get 'em refurbished from Accessories 4 Less :cool:
Why the sudden harshness on China? Because the Republican party is trying to make them a scapegoat for their own incompetence? Take a look at your extensive equipment list in your signature; nearly every single item in there is made in China.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What does 90dB mean? At what distance and in what acoustic conditions? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss these speakers on one random person's experience in ambiguous listening conditions.
When did I dismiss them?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
When did I dismiss them?
I should rephrase that since I didn't intend that to be directed at you. I didn't mean you but rather anyone who sees the statement that these speakers can't reproduce 90dB without problems. My criticism is of the original post. '90dB' needs context.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I should rephrase that since I didn't intend that to be directed at you. I didn't mean you but rather anyone who sees the statement that these speakers can't reproduce 90dB without problems. My criticism is of the original post. '90dB' needs context.
When I wrote that I was broadly referring to OP's 90dB. I generally really appreciate these speakers, perhaps more than average listener.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback guys. Diving further into these speakers, setup, and taking measurements is pointless right now, something is wrong. There was no shipping damage so perhaps something wasn't installed correctly in assembly. I've swapped amps and tested other bookshelves and they sound fine in the same environment. The old LS50s played very clean at louder levels these do not.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the feedback guys. Diving further into these speakers, setup, and taking measurements is pointless right now, something is wrong. There was no shipping damage so perhaps something wasn't installed correctly in assembly. I've swapped amps and tested other bookshelves and they sound fine in the same environment. The old LS50s played very clean at louder levels these do not.
As many have mentioned, you probably have a defective pair and need to replace them. I highly doubt KEF will argue with you or the shop you bought them from.

J

JRiggs

Audiophyte
Have you seen/read the many years of reviews and feedback on the original LS50? The Meta isn’t going to change physics. You’re dealing with 5.25” speakers. Look at the data, still -3db at 79hz. You can’t expect significant output below 80hz. Keep them, invest in subs, and you will be very happy. Mine are play 110hz up, subs play everything below and they are sublime.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Jriggs, your crossover is set at 110hz? not 80 or even 90? What sub are you using?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis