What Xbox Bethesda Purchase Does to the Future of "Console Wars"?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
By now everyone's heard about Microsoft's purchase of ZeniMax/Bethesda and we've heard a lot of online hot-takes on how this is going to influence the future of gaming. It was such a big purchase for the gaming industry that it instantly made Xbox Game Pass a potential option, even for the saltiest, console-distaining PC gamers (myself included). And that's just it... the big winner in the deal wasn't the new Xbox Series X or S, but rather Microsoft's online game platform Game Pass. Meanwhile, Sony's model is still emphasizing "exclusives" to make its PlayStation 5 your living-room entertainment device.

I think it speeds up the inevitable conclusion to the ongoing "game console wars", because the console war has always been an ultimate "final battle" between traditional consumer electronics (Sony) and PC technology (Microsoft), since at least the late 1980s. It's no surprise that Microsoft and Sony are actually collaborating and Sony's own online entertainment network uses Microsoft's cloud. I think the future will either see that relationship become deeper or Sony will eventually just be relegated to a second-tier gaming option.

I know... I know, there are people who get downright ideological about their choice in gaming equipment, but I say this in no way as a Microsoft "fanboy", I don't like that Microsoft appears to be taking over gaming, I prefer healthy competition. But considering the size of the Triple-A gaming market in relation to other markets Microsoft plays in, it appears inevitable.

My take on Microsoft Xbox strategy:

Microsoft's Xbox Long-Game Surges with Bethesda Purchase
xbox-bethesda.jpg

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
By now everyone's heard about Microsoft's purchase of ZeniMax/Bethesda and we've heard a lot of online hot-takes on how this is going to influence the future of gaming. It was such a big purchase for the gaming industry that it instantly made Xbox Game Pass a potential option, even for the saltiest, console-distaining PC gamers (myself included). And that's just it... the big winner in the deal wasn't the new Xbox Series X or S, but rather Microsoft's online game platform Game Pass. Meanwhile, Sony's model is still emphasizing "exclusives" to make its PlayStation 5 your living-room entertainment device.

I think it speeds up the inevitable conclusion to the ongoing "game console wars", because the console war has always been an ultimate "final battle" between traditional consumer electronics (Sony) and PC technology (Microsoft), since at least the late 1980s. It's no surprise that Microsoft and Sony are actually collaborating and Sony's own online entertainment network uses Microsoft's cloud. I think the future will either see that relationship become deeper or Sony will eventually just be relegated to a second-tier gaming option.

I know... I know, there are people who get downright ideological about their choice in gaming equipment, but I say this in no way as a Microsoft "fanboy", I don't like that Microsoft appears to be taking over gaming, I prefer healthy competition. But considering the size of the Triple-A gaming market in relation to other markets Microsoft plays in, it appears inevitable.

My take on Microsoft Xbox strategy:

Microsoft's Xbox Long-Game Surges with Bethesda Purchase
View attachment 40650
Microsoft purchasing Bethesda was a brilliant move. Microsoft has enough cash on hand to purchase any gaming outfit out there. If they purchased Rock Star or Activision, you can pretty much say goodbye to the PS community. I think if people walked away from PS they would join the PC community. With TV manufacturers joining the gaming community, you can now build a solid PC and hook it up to large 4k screen and enjoy.

I don't think Microsoft would be that greedy. They would lose hundreds of millions of dollars by keeping big titles as exclusives. Fallout and Elder Scrolls will not be Xbox exclusives. Microsoft wants to make money and lots of it.

My hope is that Microsoft will finally get rid of Todd Howard from Bethesda. He has been destroying Bethesda for years now. With Microsoft already owning Obsidian, which is another amazing gaming company, I truly hope they give the Obsidian side the next Fallout game. It's in better hands with Obsidian than Bethesda.

Just my two cents.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Microsoft purchasing Bethesda was a brilliant move. Microsoft has enough cash on hand to purchase any gaming outfit out there. If they purchased Rock Star or Activision, you can pretty much say goodbye to the PS community. I think if people walked away from PS they would join the PC community. With TV manufacturers joining the gaming community, you can now build a solid PC and hook it up to large 4k screen and enjoy.

I don't think Microsoft would be that greedy. They would lose hundreds of millions of dollars by keeping big titles as exclusives. Fallout and Elder Scrolls will not be Xbox exclusives. Microsoft wants to make money and lots of it.

My hope is that Microsoft will finally get rid of Todd Howard from Bethesda. He has been destroying Bethesda for years now. With Microsoft already owning Obsidian, which is another amazing gaming company, I truly hope they give the Obsidian side the next Fallout game. It's in better hands with Obsidian than Bethesda.

Just my two cents.

Ditto on Todd Howard... but I also think these companies are going to do what they do regardless of the smiling face put in charge. A guy like Howard is like Gary Bettman of the NHL. Hockey fans unanimously share a hatred of Bettman because he's the face that informs of the unpopular decisions made for the NHL way beyond his pay-grade, just like the decisions of a company like Bethesda. Those unpopular decisions are made by shareholders and in the NHL's case, various team owners. It's the same principle at work. Howard is just the weenie with the unfortunate responsibility to stand in front of audiences at conventions and either outright lie or try to put lipstick on a pig (microtransactions/GaaS) he's trying to sell to gamers.

Yeah, I agree though, I don't think "exclusives" is at the heart of Microsoft's strategy. Microsoft isn't in it to sell more Xboxes, they're in it to sell their services. That service could be Game Pass or it could be Azure to other platforms... including Sony's.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
So, whose gonna buy Skyrim again... when "Skyrim Enhanced/Remastered for Xbox Series S/X" comes out sometime next year?
I bet it happens. Yes, Todd Howard figured out a way to sell Skyrim again, twice!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
So, whose gonna buy Skyrim again... when "Skyrim Enhanced/Remastered for Xbox Series S/X" comes out sometime next year?
I bet it happens. Yes, Todd Howard figured out a way to sell Skyrim again, twice!
I’m thinking Skyrim has been “remastered” or “enhanced” at least 4-5 times. Original release on 360, then PC, Xbox One (backwards compatible), Switch, and I’m pretty sure Series X will happen. Plus we can’t forget the VR edition. I love that game, but damn! I’m pretty sure they’ve made well over a billion on that game from all versions.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My hope is that MS will do what they did with Bungie. Keep making good games.

I'm just glad all the xbox exclusive titles eventually come to PC. When that stops happening, then I'll be pissed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis