S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I agree... the PB or SB 3K option is overkill for a simple little system like you are discussing. Even if you were to upgrade speakers eventually, you don't really need that much Sub in that situation. You'll have Headroom for Eons to be certain.
I'm also one of those people that think the Sealed vs Ported argument is pointless. Though, in a small sealed room, 3-4 sealed subs can have an amazing impact. ;)
I digress.
You should focus on matching multiple subs, not frankensteining different subs in a system. Audition the two subs and return what you don't like... if there is any chance you will put your new office sub in the main rig anytime in the future, than you should get matching Subs now.

Regardless: it is your system and your Ducats! :D
What you are missing is that there are two distinct different systems in different parts of the abode. The two are not next to each other!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What you are missing is that there are two distinct different systems in different parts of the abode. The two are not next to each other!
Nope. I followed.
In post 15 you mentioned you might move whatever you buy for your office out to the main rig.
However depending on the other purchase I made, it might make it to the main 7.1 system. I actually need 2 subs due to one not being adequate, and one that failed.
Hence my comment which you quoted above.

Again. It is your system and Ducats.

Advice: if you think you will move subs around, get matching subs now. Mixing different subs can lead to great difficulties in getting them to blend in a system. Many people find it difficult enough with matching subs. YMMV

:)

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Nope. I followed.
In post 15 you mentioned you might move whatever you buy for your office out to the main rig.

Hence my comment which you quoted above.

Again. It is your system and Ducats.

Advice: if you think you will move subs around, get matching subs now. Mixing different subs can lead to great difficulties in getting them to blend in a system. Many people find it difficult enough with matching subs. YMMV

:)
I won't have 2 subs on either system either now or in the foreseeable future. At this point, if I like what I hear, I can always add another down the road. Depending on what works best on which system is what I plan on for now. I would have to upgrade my AVR in the living room to something other than my RXV-663

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
If I upgrade the AVR on my 7.1 system I will go to the Anthem 700 series. From what I am told, there will be a new model out at the end of the year. Something like the MRX-740 but don't quote me on that.....

On the other hand the 2.1 system there is just no room for more than one sub......

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Other than videos, what music do you listen to on that system?

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Other than videos, what music do you listen to on that system?
Depends on mood. The audio I like to listen to extends from Christian contemporary from the 80's and 90's to classical to rock and roll. I do have a number of movies and DVD's of science fiction TV shows. Mostly Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Battlestar Galactica. I have a compilation of John Wayne films as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I was at fault. I checked the settings on the subwoofer and it was turned all the way up to a 150 Hz crossover. After checking the Martin Logan specifications of 60Hz - 25KHz in frequency, I turned the subwoofer down to 75 Hz crossover. It sounds much better. Could it have been a subwoofer setting? Given this, the Pinnacle subwoofer ranges from a 50 Hz to 150HZ with that split in half at 75 Hz. Would turning that down a bit more help further?

Which leads to the question, is it possible to ask too much of a woofer?
Just a note on the sub just because it's marked "crossover" doesn't mean it is anything but a low pass filter....you'd need to connect your speakers with the sub somehow if the sub had an actual crossover. I'd think it would get better by adjusting the low pass filter into a reasonable range. I like the idea of keeping the LX16s and concentrating on a sub, tho....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
When on the computer Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 is used for videos, and Windows Media player for MP3's I have a Blue ray DVD player on the main system and lots of individual DVD's and CD's I can play at my leisure. The computer audio is mostly so I don't crank up the 7.1 system and annoy my neighbors unnecessarily. In addition to that TV is used often in the living room system with mostly news during the day. If I hear something interesting, I get up and to to the living room/kitchen area for a different thing.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
These aren't any normal powered speaker but no problem just recommended them based on connecting to your computer fairly easy and their small size and great sound

Take a look at these then. Even save you a little bit of money the sound quality is outstanding

Interesting speakers.....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Watch the Video?
I have not yet watched the video. However in continuation of thoughts here, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a totally new set of speakers. Ryanosaur was right when he indicated that I should have been able to hold the subwoofer crossover between 100 and 120 Hz. Problem is that when it was that high, it sounded horrible. When I turned it down to 70 Hz for the crossover, everything began to sound better. Now I do know that there is a distinct roll off on the LX-16's, but for them to shoulder what they did when limiting the frequency to 70Hz and below, there has to be either something wrong or the Pinnacle subwoofer has not aged well. In any case what was an initial thought after a discussion with SVS and testing I did, I don't think that my bookshelf speakers are the problem but need better help on the low end than the Pinnacle was able to even give when new. I am not surprised that Pinnacle went out of business, but given that, the more modern choices that are possible should be a distinct upgrade. I am loath to replace perfectly good, but am willing to as I clean up and fix my abode to consider a definite fix in audio on my computer. What I did in a sense is counter intuitive, but it did help to expose a very bad link in the audio experience. Thanks guys for helping with this.

I will shortly order the SVS tomorrow, the SB-3000. I should be able to dial this in with much more authority and help counterbalance the LX-16's which still sound very good to me.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Oh, and if our subwoofer testing expert here is interested, I can ship him the old Pinnacle. It might be fun to know how bad a product is!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Possible his schedule is more open? Either or.....

At the end of the day, the reason your sound was worsened by the higher XO is because that pinnacle(I’m trying to be nice), is NOT GOOD. It’s non a non linear, high Q design. So the higher the XO, the more presence it has in the FR. Again, it needs a one way trip to the dump. Channeling @TLSguy lol.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Possible his schedule is more open? Either or.....

At the end of the day, the reason your sound was worsened by the higher XO is because that pinnacle(I’m trying to be nice), is NOT GOOD. It’s non a non linear, high Q design. So the higher the XO, the more presence it has in the FR. Again, it needs a one way trip to the dump. Channeling @TLSguy lol.
It is worse than I remember. In any case, it needs to go. The SVS SB-3000 has been ordered.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is worse than I remember. In any case, it needs to go. The SVS SB-3000 has been ordered.
Well I have to say. It’s way more than necessary in the tight confines, but I also have to applaud you. It’s a badass sub. But most of all, it’s capable.
Congrats.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Due to where I live, I am told that I should be notified this evening and get the unit, a SVS SB-3000 by Tuesday! Fast service!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis