Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, I'd like to confirm that the 3080 has the same digital preamp section (ie, dacs, processing power) as the 5200.

Also, how can I create a signature in my profile?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'd like to confirm that the 3080 has the same digital preamp section (ie, dacs, processing power) as the 5200.

Also, how can I create a signature in my profile?
Click on your Name on top of page. Then click on Signature to create.

The RX-A3080's preamp section should be great, but I doubt the RX-A3080 will have the SAME preamp section as the CX-A5200.

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
The other non-XT32 option I'm considering is the Anthem AVM60 prepro or the MRX1120 receiver, which has the same digital preamp (dacs, chips) as the AVM60.

If you connect both to the same power L&R power amp (or in my case, powered monitors) via RCA, I think both should measure and sound the same.

From Nick@Anthem on AVS:

"only difference between the MRX1120 and the AVM60 is the AMPs, the AVM has better ADC and a dedicated headphone amp (since it can't borrow one of the main AMPs). The the only difference between the 720 and the 1120 is the four extra amp channels in the 1120 and the 1120 (and AVM60) has a toroidal transformer."

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Click on your Name on top of page. Then click on Signature to create.

The RX-A3080's preamp section should be great, but I doubt the RX-A3080 will have the SAME preamp section as the CX-A5200.
Maybe, maybe not, you have the a3080 and the 5100 pull the hoods off, postup pic of the two pre-amp boards. Between PENG and a few other's may be able to come close. I'd say the two would be Closely related:D. By the way HD vision has the 5200 Yammy going for 1.999.00

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I believe I have read that they may not be the best or even good to deal with. 2g's is a lot of money to some maybe a Small fortune to most. Others that's Pocket change. Since the age of the internet The masses have access to the whole world of home audio, which is great, I know just where I live there isn't One Dedicated home audio store nothing. I would need to drive 25 + or more and I have, get there only to find they only have mostly Displays which is still good for Auditioning gear but they still have to order Through the Internet. The thing about buying Local you can Inspect the merchandise pull speakers out the box give them a really good close up Inspection same with the gear. Buying over the Internet directly does have it's Issues. Happy hunting just make sure Who Ever you Decide to order from make sure they're a authorized dealer for Warranty purposes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The other non-XT32 option I'm considering is the Anthem AVM60 prepro or the MRX1120 receiver, which has the same digital preamp (dacs, chips) as the AVM60.

If you connect both to the same power L&R power amp (or in my case, powered monitors) via RCA, I think both should measure and sound the same.

From Nick@Anthem on AVS:

"only difference between the MRX1120 and the AVM60 is the AMPs, the AVM has better ADC and a dedicated headphone amp (since it can't borrow one of the main AMPs). The the only difference between the 720 and the 1120 is the four extra amp channels in the 1120 and the 1120 (and AVM60) has a toroidal transformer."
I wouldn’t get bogged down too much on hearsay and things like DAC and ADC and preamp sections. Look at the end results - SNR, THD, Crosstalk, FR, etc.

Pre-pros from Yamaha, Marantz, and Anthem all have state of the art measurements.

Instead, focus on price, reliability, apps, compatibility.

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn’t get bogged down too much on hearsay and things like DAC and ADC and preamp sections. Look at the end results - SNR, THD, Crosstalk, FR, etc.

Pre-pros from Yamaha, Marantz, and Anthem all have state of the art measurements.

Instead, focus on price, reliability, apps, compatibility.
FYI: Nick@Anthem (his user name on AVS) is the Anthem REP who answers questions in the Anthem Owners threads (AVM60, 1120/720/520, and other ones). So what he posts is not hearsay but the Anthem facts.

I agree with what you're saying. My point is within the same brand (usually, but not always), the prepro is essentially the top of the line receiver model minus power amps, with XLRs added. So when hooking up an HDMI device and RCA to a power amp (aka the digital preamp section), the prepro and receiver should both measure and sound the same: Anthem AVM60 & 1120 (yes, as confirmed by Nick), Yamaha 5200 & 3080 (I think so), Marantz 8805 and Denon 8500H (I think so, except the Marantz HDAMs can alter the sound).

Of course, this didn't apply to the incredible Denon AVP-A1HDCI prepro that you (and Gene) owned....that Denon has no equal! From time to time, I get tempted to buy one used...but it doesn't have atmos (for my mancave) and if I put it in my wife's 7.1 system, any quirks would get me in trouble!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
FYI: Nick@Anthem (his user name on AVS) is the Anthem REP who answers questions in the Anthem Owners threads (AVM60, 1120/720/520, and other ones). So what he posts is not hearsay but the Anthem facts.

I agree with what you're saying. My point is within the same brand (usually, but not always), the prepro is essentially the top of the line receiver model minus power amps, with XLRs added. So when hooking up an HDMI device and RCA to a power amp (aka the digital preamp section), the prepro and receiver should both measure and sound the same: Anthem AVM60 & 1120 (yes, as confirmed by Nick), Yamaha 5200 & 3080 (I think so), Marantz 8805 and Denon 8500H (I think so, except the Marantz HDAMs can alter the sound).

Of course, this didn't apply to the incredible Denon AVP-A1HDCI prepro that you (and Gene) owned....that Denon has no equal! From time to time, I get tempted to buy one used...but it doesn't have atmos (for my mancave) and if I put it in my wife's 7.1 system, any quirks would get me in trouble!
The AVP-A1HDCI was a "life experience". Just like B&W 802D2 or Salon2 or everything else is a "life experience". :D

But going back in time, there's no way I would buy the AVP-A1HDCI. When I buy a $7500 Pre-pro, I expect it to last 20 years or more, not 8 years. Another member here also bought the AVP-A1HDCI and it also became paperweight after 8 years.

So no point buying these expensive electronics for me.

Back when I was all about Denon/Marantz, I probably would have gone with a Marantz pre-pro.

But knowing what I know now, I would have gotten the Yamaha pre-pro + amp combo, which is what I have now. :D

There is just no need for me to spend that kind of money on electronics.

CX-A5100 + MX-A5200 for no more than $3600 total or RX-A3080 for no more than $1500 is just awesome enough.

No need to waste any more money or waste any more time chasing some specs and ideas.

Bottom line, unless you absolutely want certain auto room corrections like Anthem's ARC, Audyssey XT32, Dirac, Trinnov, Lyngdorf, etc., there's no point chasing some specs for DACs and preamp sections.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The AVP-A1HDCI was a "life experience". Just like B&W 802D2 or Salon2 or everything else is a "life experience". :D

But going back in time, there's no way I would buy the AVP-A1HDCI. When I buy a $7500 Pre-pro, I expect it to last 20 years or more, not 8 years. Another member here also bought the AVP-A1HDCI and it also became paperweight after 8 years.

So no point buying these expensive electronics for me.

Back when I was all about Denon/Marantz, I probably would have gone with a Marantz pre-pro.

But knowing what I know now, I would have gotten the Yamaha pre-pro + amp combo, which is what I have now. :D

There is just no need for me to spend that kind of money on electronics.

CX-A5100 + MX-A5200 for no more than $3600 total or RX-A3080 for no more than $1500 is just awesome enough.

No need to waste any more money or waste any more time chasing some specs and ideas.

Bottom line, unless you absolutely want certain auto room corrections like Anthem's ARC, Audyssey XT32, Dirac, Trinnov, Lyngdorf, etc., there's no point chasing some specs for DACs and preamp sections.
I'm watching you, again! lol good post Andrew without all the, but this spec, surly shows why this unit is better. Yes in some cases it needs to be Addressed with hobbyists who need the know of.
All Valid points you made I get sick cause my 50 buck LG blu-ray is on its way out and its only 3 years. 8 years isn't no small time with gear, but than 7.500 isn't 50 bucks Either. I would have taken the Power supply out and strip the copper and sold, just so I feel a little better. Some would have taken a Sledgehammer to it and shipped it back to the Manufacture.

S

sebna

Enthusiast
Am I right that I do not have to disable YPAO profile to add PEQ for SUB on top of it?

It is not one or the other? I can run YPAO EQ first and the login via web browser to apply PEQ on top of YPAO run?

S

sebna

Enthusiast
The other question how much better SQ wise is 5200 or 5100 Pre / Pro?

Should I am for 5200 or would 5100 be perfectly fine (feature wise I am ok with 5100).

I can get 5100 500 euro cheaper then 5200.

Thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Should I am for 5200 or would 5100 be perfectly fine (feature wise I am ok with 5100).

Thanks
Yes, I would get the CX-A5100 as it performed even better than the CX-A5200 distortion wise and it contains all the features you're looking for:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Am I right that I do not have to disable YPAO profile to add PEQ for SUB on top of it?

It is not one or the other? I can run YPAO EQ first and the login via web browser to apply PEQ on top of YPAO run?
You can Copy the YPAO profile (Natural, Flat) over to Manual PEQ. Then you can add the PEQ for subs while in Manual PEQ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Thanks
SQ will be same for any of these models. None of the measurements will make any difference in SQ since they are NOT audible.

S

sebna

Enthusiast
You can Copy the YPAO profile (Natural, Flat) over to Manual PEQ. Then you can add the PEQ for subs while in Manual PEQ.
But can I just run YPAO let it do its job and then add PEQ on top of it, without copying etc.?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
But can I just run YPAO let it do its job and then add PEQ on top of it, without copying etc.?
If you go into the PEQ section of the setup and go into either of the YPAO settings - Flat, Front, or Natural, you can view the frequency adjustments made by YPAO, but you can not make changes there. So the answer is, no you can't. AcuDefTechGuy told you right. You must copy one of the YPAO settings to manual, and then make your adjustments to the subwoofer there.

P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
I currently have 5.1 system. Running Dolby Atmos films from either Plex or netflix does not give me Atmos, but reverts to True HD or DD+. If I enable 7.1 it decodes Atmos, but not with 5.1 Is this behaviour normal?. My friends running a Denon X3600 with a 5.1 systems and that seems to decode Atmos just fine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 5.1.4 system, but I still set it up for 7.1.

I don't think I've ever set it to 5.1. So I don't know about this.

If there was an option to set it up for 9.1, I would set it up for 9.1, even though my system is 5.1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis