Seprates combo, how does it work? Combo suggestions?

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Not the most up on my video but what streaming is 4k/240? I think it's 4k/30 maybe 60; your streaming device maybe upscaling. A bluray will be 24 or 60. Your tv basically multiplies the frequency for that feature. Now if it's games I don't know, don't play them.
Streaming as in a smart TV that has built in applications, Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, ETC. Anything external is usually bringing down the fps, like a 4k roku device.

I believe my 4k player is 4k/120fps, but going with an AVR that is 4k/60 will only process that. That's why in my initial search I was like why dont they have 4k/240 AVR's and one they dont make too many TV's that are capable of that especially in 2019 and most things feed at most 4k/120 if they are running at par. But it's only the 2020 Denon that does 4k/120 and imax enhanced. Which I dont care about Imax.

So with the variety of speakers, I am not sure if I can find a 1000 dollar set of legit SVS stuff. I do like SVS, but it comes down to the same thing. This is my first home theater and I was because I am basically broke, no income since march trying to stay on a budget.

With Elac I can get full towers, and a 5.0 set up on the Uni-fi line for 1000 without a sub. That seems like a great beginners set and it definitely good. Minor things that people pick on it and at the original full price of 2200 I can agree with, but for a 1000... not so much

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
OVERKILL??? Nothing is Overkill
I agree that's why I am really contemplating that, for what I get and the price. But yea man my "home theater" room is 14 by 20' that's going to be earth shattering. Their demo room was probably twice the size of my room and the Adantes was pretty turbulent and there was no sub in use.

Not sure how much power was pushing them

Neighbors will flip for sure

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Using precious resources without income to build a multich system is not be what I'd encouraging particularly. Good luck with that use of your money. However, I'd rather start with a good 2.1 than a meh 5.0.....and I'd always spend more on the speakers than avr.

I think on the video resolution thing you're mistaking your tv's processing for actual content when checking the info display. Try this https://www.lifewire.com/video-frame-vs-screen-refresh-rate-1847855

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I was just watching Gene's bench test on the Marantz 8012, and he was saying he definitely doesn't suggest using a 1500 dollar receiver to run a 4 ohm speaker. lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just watching Gene's bench test on the Marantz 8012, and he was saying he definitely doesn't suggest using a 1500 dollar receiver to run a 4 ohm speaker. lol
He didn't say definitely. He said something to the effect that we should keep an eye out in future reviews because some receivers he's starting to see at the $1400 level he wouldn't recommend for 4 ohm speakers....go to about 19:35 into the video. The 8012 did qualify for his 4 ohm reco, tho; I assume he's referring to list price.

Last edited:
M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
He didn't say definitely. He said something to the effect that we should keep an eye out in future reviews because some receivers he's starting to see at the $1400 level he wouldn't recommend for 4 ohm loads....go to about 19:35 into the video. The 8012 did qualify for his 4 ohm reco, tho; I assume he's referring to list price.
Yes definitely something to that tune. I found an 8012 for 2,000 brand new.. or a 7013 open box for 1100, which is 1100 off

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might be some good pricing on the 8012 now that the 8015 has arrived....you looking at the 8012 refurb at A4L? Or did you find a new unit for that?

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Might be some good pricing on the 8012 now that the 8015 has arrived....you looking at the 8012 refurb at A4L? Or did you find a new unit for that?
Nope, it's brand new coming off some European site. I dont mind refurbished, but even on marantz it says it needs to be an authorized retailer otherwise they will not honor the warranty. I can only imagine what refurbs are covered under lol

Going to contact Marantz and confirm it's authorized if I proceed. but that 7013 seems like a grand deal, and they for sure authorized dealers on the marantz website and listed on theirs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nope, it's brand new coming off some European site. I dont mind refurbished, but even on marantz it says it needs to be an authorized retailer otherwise they will not honor the warranty. I can only imagine what refurbs are covered under lol

Going to contact Marantz and confirm it's authorized if I proceed. but that 7013 seems like a grand deal, and they for sure authorized dealers on the marantz website and listed on theirs
You're in europe? Refurbs in US can be purchased thru Accessories4less.com as well as their own sites on occasion, and come with a 1 to 3 year factory warranty. My credit card extends an extra year warranty too.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What happened to using your 4400? Thought you were trying to save cash?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He said when asked if he owned a 4400:

"Unfortunately I do not, that's why I have more additional costs to cope with as a whole. This is my first home theater system, so it's basically wait and grab the 4700H on black friday or go with the 4400H just to save money"

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
You're in europe? Refurbs in US can be purchased thru Accessories4less.com as well as their own sites on occasion, and come with a 1 to 3 year factory warranty. My credit card extends an extra year warranty too.
Nope, I am in the USA. But like I was saying that Marantz and Denon are finicky. It says they will not honor any warranty that is not from an authorized retailer. Even if it’s a major retailer or online.

So you can only imagine what a refurb warranty looks like. Also generally for one year.

second, price wise I bet the refurbished won’t be going for more than 200 dollars cheaper.

so the 7013 would need to be 900 and the 8012 would need to be 1800. But with that price I will lose an additional 2 year warranty. Which will protect my investment, since it is a 3 year warranty.

Edit: But I will check that site out, we got a bunch covered yesterday, forgot about it.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Yea, as I mentioned and lovinthehd. I own absolutely nothing.

that’s why I mentioned earlier I would have picked up the Adantes if I did have the equipment already. But without that I’m going to down poop creek waist deep in $8,000 with no income.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Nope, I am in the USA. But like I was saying that Marantz and Denon are finicky. It says they will not honor any warranty that is not from an authorized retailer. Even if it’s a major retailer or online.

So you can only imagine what a refurb warranty looks like. Also generally for one year.

second, price wise I bet the refurbished won’t be going for more than 200 dollars cheaper.

so the 7013 would need to be 900 and the 8012 would need to be 1800. But with that price I will lose an additional 2 year warranty. Which will protect my investment, since it is a 3 year warranty.

Edit: But I will check that site out, we got a bunch covered yesterday, forgot about it.
Accessories4Less is an authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. They have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. I picked 3 examples of refurbished AVRs they sell:

Denon AVR-X4500H – Denon factory refurbished, sold with a 1-year Denon warranty

Marantz SR7013 – Marantz factory refurbished, sold with a 1-year Marantz warranty

Yamaha RX-A2060 – Yamaha factory refurbished, sold with a 1½-year Yamaha warranty

Be aware of the details of A4L's return policies, including restocking fees.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Accessories4Less is an authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. They have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. I picked 3 examples of refurbished AVRs they sell:

Denon AVR-X4500H – Denon factory refurbished, sold with a 1-year Denon warranty

Marantz SR7013 – Marantz factory refurbished, sold with a 1-year Marantz warranty

Yamaha RX-A2060 – Yamaha factory refurbished, sold with a 1½-year Yamaha warranty
But like I said, I can get it open box with full 3 years for 1100, so what do I gain from A4L? I lose 200 and 2 years of additional warranty.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One last suggestion…

Don't be in a rush. Order speakers in smaller steps. Order two smaller speakers, less expensive speakers, such as the Elac Uni-fi UB5. Use them for the front 2-channels. That way you can find out if you like their sound. This can take some time.

If you do like them, keep them. Order more of the same, or order larger Elac speakers for your front left & right channels, plus a dedicated center channel speaker. Use the UB5s for rear channels. And if you decide on something different than Elac, you can still use those UB5s for rear channels with other speakers in the front 3 channels.

I wouldn't want you to order 5 expensive speakers, only to find out later you really don't like them.

In the long run, the speakers you choose are far more important for sound quality than what AVR you use. Most newbies, such as yourself, don't understand that at first. They dwell too much over choosing an AVR, only to find they are unhappy with the speakers they chose.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
But like I said, I can get it open box with full 3 years for 1100, so what do I gain from A4L? I lose 200 and 2 years of additional warranty.
That's up to you. A4L gives you more choices.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
One last suggestion…

Don't be in a rush. Order speakers in smaller steps. Order two smaller speakers, less expensive speakers, such as the Elac Uni-fi UB5. Use them for the front 2-channels. That way you can find out if you like their sound. This can take some time.

If you do like them, keep them. Order more of the same, or order larger Elac speakers for your front left & right channels, plus a dedicated center channel speaker. Use the UB5s for rear channels. And if you decide on something different than Elac, you can still use those UB5s for rear channels with other speakers in the front 3 channels.

I wouldn't want you to order 5 expensive speakers, only to find out later you really don't like them.

In the long run, the speakers you choose are far more important for sound quality than what AVR you use. Most newbies, such as yourself, don't understand that at first. They dwell too much over choosing an AVR, only to find they are unhappy with the speakers they chose.
Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking of doing, just to hold me over until Black Friday. This receiver seems like a Black Friday deal already. Going to check the condition though.

contacting Marantz as we speak to confirm the open box/demo warranty is equal from an authorized retailer. Also, going to check that audio store in Europe for the 8012, and make certain they are legitimately authorized.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I appreciate all of you taking the time to provide feedback and insightful information.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis