Denon Owners Thread

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
iPad is just a control device. It can't create crackling in the speaker. Almost anything you can do on the iPad can also be done using the TV screen interface. It's just easier access on the iPad.

All crackling sounds were generated as a result using the internal Denon amps thru the right Height 1 and Height 2 speaker terminals on the 4500.
I might disagree it's just a control device....it may have different controls. That's why I'm wondering about consistency with regard to app vs avr only and what information that could possibly yield (it could be nothing). I'd exhaust various scenarios before trying some dumb customer service rep on a phone....bounce it off folk here first certainly.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I might disagree it's just a control device....it may have different controls. That's why I'm wondering about consistency with regard to app vs avr only and what information that could possibly yield (it could be nothing). I'd exhaust various scenarios before trying some dumb customer service rep on a phone....bounce it off folk here first certainly.
Ugh? The iPad works just like the remote control. It uses wifi to send control signals to the AVR. I can't see anyway the remote in and of itself can cause the internal amplifier to crackle.

And by the way, the Denon 4700 remote is very directional. If you are not pointing right at the AVR, it typically will not work. Not a quality I was hoping for.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Ouch. Is this still under warranty?
Yes, it's under warranty after $87 in shipping. lol

The Denon 4700 runs really HOT even when installed out in the open with air on all sides. I ordered an AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 today to see if it helps. I use to keep ECO on but all the research says it drastically reduces the amplification. So now I'm using AUTO mode and cooking eggs on the 4700. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
4700 BUG OR FEATURE?
While testing the 4700, I first ran Odyssey without rear surrounds. Later, when I attached rear surrounds for testing I could not get them to work even after turning them on with "Amp Assign".

Under Crossovers they were greyed out even though the "Amp Assign" configuration had them turned on.

The only way I could get them to work was to run a new session of Audyssey with the Rear Surrounds turned on using the edit menu on the iPad Denon MultEQ app. Once the Audyssey session was complete they worked fine.

Has anyone else noticed channels not used previously with a Audyssey session being locked out until a new session is run? Apparently, the "Amp Assign" function is not enough to override the lockout.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it's under warranty after $87 in shipping. lol

The Denon 4700 runs really HOT even when installed out in the open with air on all sides. I ordered an AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 today to see if it helps. I use to keep ECO on but all the research says it drastically reduces the amplification. So now I'm using AUTO mode and cooking eggs on the 4700. :rolleyes:
I don't want to mention any brands here because I don't want to be torched :D, but this is the 2 big areas that DM need to improve on.

DM has the SINAD and THD down to an art. But the Warranty Shipping should be FREE BOTH ways and the AVR and AVP should operate a lot COOLER.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you need free shipping if it doesn't break from overheating? :D
EXACTLY. ;) :D

The components operate much cooler = more reliable = less chance of shipping.

And that's why they can offer free shipping because they are confident people won't be shipping much. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I don't want to mention any brands here because I don't want to be torched :D, but this is the 2 big areas that DM need to improve on.

DM has the SINAD and THD down to an art. But the Warranty Shipping should be FREE BOTH ways and the AVR and AVP should operate a lot COOLER.
Yep!!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Why do you need free shipping if it doesn't break from overheating? :D
Don't you have any better questions than nitpicking on irrelevant details nooooone, except, you vaguely something say?

Yeah, yeah, I think I can show myself out the the door, thank you!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Here's another Denon AVR-4700H feature

When I turn off my Samsung TV with the Samsung remote, it automatically turns off the Denon 4700 too. :D

It must be a configuration in the HDMI settings of the Denon 4700 as it doesn't happen when I disconnect the HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver. I also notice the Auro-3D audio format has new settings for various room sizes on the 4700 that are not available on the 4500.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ugh? The iPad works just like the remote control. It uses wifi to send control signals to the AVR. I can't see anyway the remote in and of itself can cause the internal amplifier to crackle.

And by the way, the Denon 4700 remote is very directional. If you are not pointing right at the AVR, it typically will not work. Not a quality I was hoping for.
My thought is more that there is an inherent difference between Audyssey and how it works on your avr and how the app controls it.....could be difference in coding/operating system perhaps. There have been others that have noticed differences between using the app and the avr alone.

Infrared remotes do often need to be aimed at the unit's receptor or at least in line with a good reflection. I've had some units where I've re-positioned them to improve that reception....

P

primetimeguy

Audiophyte
4700 BUG OR FEATURE?
While testing the 4700, I first ran Odyssey without rear surrounds. Later, when I attached rear surrounds for testing I could not get them to work even after turning them on with "Amp Assign".

Under Crossovers they were greyed out even though the "Amp Assign" configuration had them turned on.

The only way I could get them to work was to run a new session of Audyssey with the Rear Surrounds turned on using the edit menu on the iPad Denon MultEQ app. Once the Audyssey session was complete they worked fine.

Has anyone else noticed channels not used previously with a Audyssey session being locked out until a new session is run? Apparently, the "Amp Assign" function is not enough to override the lockout.
That is normal. If you add new speakers you need to rerun audyssey to use them as it wants to set level, distance and eq.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

P

primetimeguy

Audiophyte
Here's another Denon AVR-4700H feature

When I turn off my Samsung TV with the Samsung remote, it automatically turns off the Denon 4700 too. :D

It must be a configuration in the HDMI settings of the Denon 4700 as it doesn't happen when I disconnect the HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver. I also notice the Auro-3D audio format has new settings for various room sizes on the 4700 that are not available on the 4500.
That is HDMI CEC or consumer electronic control and has been on receivers and other devices for years. You just happened to discover it now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
4700 BUG OR FEATURE?

Did you turn Audyssey off when trying to add speakers and test them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
EXACTLY. ;) :D

The components operate much cooler = more reliable = less chance of shipping.

And that's why they can offer free shipping because they are confident people won't be shipping much. :D
Or they charge more....ain't no such thing as free shipping :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
oh yeah... everything gets turned off between speaker configuration changes.
Interesting. I usually just rerun Audyssey when adding speakers but pretty sure I can add/use them without rerunning Audyssey by turning Audyssey off....might have to experiment with that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or they charge more....ain't no such thing as free shipping :)
Doh!

Oh yeah, well, do they also charge more for better reliability since there‘s no such thing as free reliability. :D

Okay, okay, okay, I’ll keep my daytime job. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis