AV Receivers vs. Separates: Which One Is Better?

M

Mo Noyz

Banned
This is really rare day if I will quote stereophile, but it happens I do agree with them on this topic:

Right, and I saw all of that beforehand.

I still didn't want to take any chances. Plus, I didn't see it as a bad idea to leave my options open for further down the road if I decided to run even less efficient speakers in a larger room.

In other words, at the age of 43 I'd like for this to be my last major upgrade as far as pre/amp is concerned.

Either way, I'm certainly not disappointed with my purchase. And though I love my set up, I'd never discourage anyone from purchasing a receiver. Hell, I lived with one for the past two decades (Pioneer VSX-454/Harman Kardon AVR120).

Trust me, I'm no audio snob, and am very budget-minded. Though I have to admit I'm over the look of the tank-like AVR's. Just a personal preference on my part.

M

Mo Noyz

Banned
I had some back luck with some older Monster RCA interconnects. Switched to HOSA "digital" and problems went away
very similar to this one: Hosatech S/PDIF Coax, RCA to RCA, 3 m -
I actually went with Emotiva interconnects. Example RCA Cable | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifiers, as w

But the one you linked to looks very solid and reasonably priced.

My experience throughout the years has shown me that as long as you don't go $.99 bin, or laughably over-priced Monster Cables, you'll end up with solid cables that will last you damn near a lifetime.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In other words, at the age of 43 I'd like for this to be my last major upgrade as far as pre/amp is concerned.
Haha, lets talk again in two years :)

Trust me, I'm no audio snob, and am very budget-minded. Though I have to admit I'm over the look of the tank-like AVR's. Just a personal preference on my part.
Going with avr (w/pre-outs) +amp (if needed) is imho a better value than a dedicated pre-amp, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

My SR805 likes my 4 ohm (measured) tst2 and doesn't complain :) (I guess high efficiency helps ;))

M

Mo Noyz

Banned
Haha, lets talk again in two years :)

Going with avr (w/pre-outs) +amp (if needed) is imho a better value than a dedicated pre-amp, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

My SR805 likes my 4 ohm (measured) tst2 and doesn't complain :) (I guess high efficiency helps ;))
Heh...

Look, I'll let you talk to my wife in two years. Trust me, it will be a short conversation. ;)

As for the dedicated gear, I'm certainly not going to say I got the better end of the deal. But, if I may drift off into religious audiophileland momentarily, I do like the "idea" of having separate units dedicated to their individual functions.

Does that mean anything? I have no idea.

Glad you like your gear. I like mine, too. And neither of us fell down the snake oil rabbit hole, so there's that. ;)

Now then, about them there cable elevators! :D

N

nidhi

Audiophyte
What is the exact difference between audio video receiver and audio video processor?
What are the pros and cones of the same ?
Which is best for sound equalization and why ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is the exact difference between audio video receiver and audio video processor?
What are the pros and cones of the same ?
Which is best for sound equalization and why ?
Difference: AVR has both amps + AVP in same case.

Pros of AVP + separate amps: more prestigious/pride of ownership, can upgrade separately; cons is more cost.

Pros of AVR: cheaper; cons is less prestigious, cannot upgrade separately.

EQ sound is the same with both. Both use Audyssey or other EQ software.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It's some tough work what Audioholics does. I know I'm bumping an old thread, but this is a whole different level for me.

What I'm used to is that you will not convince audiophile believers what they don't want to hear. So you have a lot of dumbasses like Denny and his flock and they do what they do.

The whole new and different level I mentioned is a guy who keeps quoting Audioholics as a proof and a definite argument that stereo/power amp watts sound better than avr watts.

Does that qualify for what you Americans call "adding insult to injury"?

So you spend years saying - no SQ benefit in dedicated stereo amp (some others perhaps, but that wasn't a part of the conversation) and what you get is a guy saying - you see, even Audioholics who are respected in this area say there is SQ benefit in dedicated stereo amps.

Boy, does it suck the life out of you...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Pros of AVP + separate amps: more prestigious/pride of ownership, can upgrade separately; cons is more cost.

True, but if your cheapo AVR pre-amp "clips" than your high-end ATi amp = crappy sound to your RBH speaker's. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
True, but if your cheapo AVR pre-amp "clips" than your high-end ATi amp = crappy sound to your RBH speaker's. :D
That can certainly happen. However, there don't seem to be better choices on the separates side if you trust bench tests in the mid range (hard to define, but let's say based on list price $2,000 to $3,000 separates or $1,000 to $2,000 for the fake separates/integrated, (since they don't usually offer much discounts), and one year old updated AVR discounted price (that tends to happen every year).

Just take a look of my measurements comparison table derived from ASR's bench measurements. Wonder why, think sales volume, or "economies of scale"..

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That can certainly happen. However, there don't seem to be better choices on the separates side if you trust bench tests in the mid range (hard to define, but let's say based on list price $2,000 to $3,000 separates or $1,000 to $2,000 for the fake separates/integrated, (since they don't usually offer much discounts), and one year old updated AVR discounted price (that tends to happen every year).

Just take a look of my measurements comparison table derived from ASR's bench measurements. Wonder why, think sales volume, or "economies of scale"..

@PENG, that link, it's safe to download? I'd sure like to look at it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG, that link, it's safe to download? I'd sure like to look at it.
I was the one who attached it in PDF, should be safe from my stand point. I could post a snapshot so you don't need to download but then the resolution would take a hit. I included a lot more data than just SINAD for the pre-outs.

Done, you don't need to download it now.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was the one who attached it in PDF, should be safe from my stand point. I could post a snapshot so you don't need to download but then the resolution would take a hit. I included a lot more data than just SINAD for the pre-outs.

For those that don't know, CTRL+ and CTRL- will enlarge and downsize text/images.
Depending on your monitor size this is often a useful tool.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
For those that don't know, CTRL+ and CTRL- will enlarge and downsize text/images.
Depending on your monitor size this is often a useful tool.
Pressing on Ctrl and using the scroll wheel on a mouse or sliding a finger on a mouse pad does the same on a lot of computers.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Sweet! Thanks @PENG!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

ADTG! you looked at PENG's results? Yamahas a1080 flagship line around the middle! even under Sonys ES flagship line and even Onkyos avr is right under. Yamaha didn't do well Andrew.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ADTG! you looked at PENG's results? Yamahas a1080 flagship line around yge middle! even under Sonys ES flagship line and even Onkyos avr is right under. Yamaha didn't do well Andrew.
But did you notice the Yamaha WXA-50 beats the PS Audio S300, two Outlaws and one Emotiva?
If I need another streamer, the WXC-50 would be my top choice.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
But did you notice the Yamaha WXA-50 beats the PS Audio S300, two Outlaws and one Emotiva?
If I need another streamer, the WXC-50 would be my top choice.
I didn't read all of your findings going do a look see now. To be Honest I'm disappointed in Yamaha flagship line

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG! you looked at PENG's results? Yamahas a1080 flagship line around the middle! even under Sonys ES flagship line and even Onkyos avr is right under. Yamaha didn't do well Andrew.
Well, numbers are cool to talk about. But we can’t hear the difference among ANY of these numbers.

Will see if Yamaha (new models A8, A6, A4, etc.) wants to play the numbers game to keep up with DM’s numbers on SINAD and THD. I hope they do just to make it more fun.

But again, we cannot hear the difference among any of these SINAD and THD.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well, numbers are cool to talk about. But we can’t hear the difference among ANY of these numbers.

Will see if Yamaha (new models A8, A6, A4, etc.) wants to play the numbers game to keep up with DM’s numbers on SINAD and THD. I hope they do just to make it more fun.

But again, we cannot hear the difference among any of these SINAD and THD.
Why is "Slew" rate so important? Yamaha stated that their New 2020 AVR's will sport a " Higher" Slew Rate. Whats a good "Slew" rate?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis