Dune (2020) from Villeneuve

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From the trailer looks like it should be really good. Will be looking to pickup this one on 4K UHD disc.
Absolutely!

I hope this will be the next "Star Wars for Adults, not kids". :D

The technical specs look great. The casts and director look great. We just need the movie to be great.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I’m hoping they won’t mess with the story too much, but from the trailer, it seems Jason Momoa’s character, Duncan Idaho, has quite a bit of screen time. In the book (and the 1984 film) he is killed off close to the beginning. I can only surmise they will introduce his ghola (clone) from the next book to cash in on Momoa’s star power. Smart move.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The 1984 theatrical version did a pretty good job of telling the main story, for all of its problems. I enjoyed the David Lynch version, and in couple ways I think it is even superior to the book, but it was quite a murky movie.
Measuring movies is a bit less objective than measuring speakers ;-) so subjectively I disagree and while '84 movie needs to be seen by Dune (books) fans, I prefer the mini-series. Yes, they were long low budget, but without ala-Kubrik space odyssey weirdness.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I enjoyed the David Lynch version, and in couple ways I think it is even superior to the book, but it was quite a murky movie.
Agent Cooper just wasn't quite the same without the Log Lady synergy!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Measuring movies is a bit less objective than measuring speakers ;-) so subjectively I disagree and while '84 movie needs to be seen by Dune (books) fans, I prefer the mini-series. Yes, they were long budget, but without ala-Kubrik space odyssey weirdness.
I liked the way the 1984 movie handled the weirding way over the books. In the books it was desert kung fu, but the idea of the weirding way in the movie was a lot more original. I also like the navigators in the movie a lot more than the books. In the books they were just goofy characters that weren't bright, but in the movie they were intimidating. Of course, the biggest change I am a bit more ambivalent about, the ending. I won't discuss that so as not to spoil it for those who haven't read it or seen it. The mini-series, I couldn't watch. Dune demands an epic scale, and you can't make it on a low budget.

Also I thought the casting for 1984's Dune was just about perfect. The casting director deserves an oscar for that. The cast for the new one looks pretty good too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I enjoyed all of the Frank Herbert books, which comprised 6 books in his series. He intended to write a 7th but his death curtailed that project. The Brian Herbert books were, well you only need to get a couple paragraphs in before you realize that Frank's literary talents were not inherited by his son. For me, Frank's books alone are canon. I think a big screen version of God Emporer of Dune would really be something to see.
It's been 30 years since I read those books so I really could use a refresher. I agree the first 2 books complete a story arc and would make for a great couple of first movies. Of the entire series I think God Emporor was my favorite. After that I started losing interest in the series. I'd forgotten Frank's son contributed the last couple.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
For 8 novels, they should be making 6 Dune movies then.

How can they cram 8 novels into 2 movies?
I heard they are making a Dune TV series. I think for HBO. So at least the budgets will be pretty solid compared to a normal cable channel like sci-fi or other.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
“Eclipse” by Pink Floyd is a nod to Alejandro Jodorowsky, whose failed Dune project in the mid 70s was to feature a soundtrack by the Floyd.

So looks like a trailer alone is already singlehandedly responsible for introducing Pink Floyd to younger people, which is in my book awesome.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I heard they are making a Dune TV series. I think for HBO. So at least the budgets will be pretty solid compared to a normal cable channel like sci-fi or other.
HBO Max (same streaming service for “Raised by Wolves”) will be streaming the Dune TV series “Dune: The Sisterhood”, which is supposed to serve as a prequel to the new Dune movie.

This is similar to what they are doing with “The Batman” movie in 2021 - a Batman TV series (year#1) will serve as a prequel on HBO Max and the movie (year#2) will be released in theaters.

So HBO Max is really hot - Raised by Wolves, Dune TV series, The Batman TV series.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
HBO Max (same streaming service for “Raised by Wolves”) will be streaming the Dune TV series “Dune: The Sisterhood”, which is supposed to serve as a prequel to the new Dune movie.

This is similar to what they are doing with “The Batman” movie in 2021 - a Batman TV series (year#1) will serve as a prequel on HBO Max and the movie (year#2) will be released in theaters.

So HBO Max is really hot - Raised by Wolves, Dune TV series, The Batman TV series.
Oh snap! I didn’t know they were going to make a new Batman show. I’ll be looking forward to that.

I am looking forward to Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series. I believe it drops first half of 2021. They will have a total investment of around $500 million when it starts. It better be good!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Most movie press loved it. Hopefully it won’t disappoint hard core fans such as myself
I can’t wait to see Dune! Will be going to the theater to see it. Will save HBOMax viewing for the second and third viewing. :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just preordered the limited edition 4K set of the original film coming out Oct 5.

I haven't been to the theater in a LONG time, but we will likely head out for this one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Early reviews are promising. Looks like a visual masterpiece and actually sticks close to the source material, tho at least one faction is trashing it for not being woke enough... sigh

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, no spoilers in those videos just for the record.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder how this new rendition will compare to this 3 part mini series version of the film? As far as I know, the copies of the miniseries are available in DVD only. The video is very well produced but I can't remember the SQ.. I need to re watch this again.

I preferred the 3 part series over this single movie

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The mini-series had more narrative and back then I also preferred it to somewhat obscure David Lynch's movie.
I also felt it was closer to the books. The only thing it was negative is special effects due to both times it was produced the early 2000s and low budgets.
Btw: there was also the second miniseries from 2003.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The mini-series had more narrative and back then I also preferred it to somewhat obscure David Lynch's movie.
I also felt it was closer to the books. The only thing it was negative is special effects due to both times it was produced the early 2000s and low budgets.
Btw: there was also the second miniseries from 2003.
I need to watch those before I watch the movie.

I saw the original film from way back when and didn't know a thing about Dune going in. I was confused and board. I was also probably 14.

I might give it a re-watch, but most say don't bother.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was disappointed in the movie. It was just too much for the technology at the time and didn't translate well from the books. That's probably why I haven't seen the miniseries, but maybe I'll give it a go before I go watch the movie. I gotta say I'm looking forward to Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck. I think that was some spot on casting. I can totally seem him pulling it off.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis