Finally – good looking speaker stands AND a fair price!!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Man that’s a real nice room. So organized like me. Baha. Where is the sub? What Vinyl do you have? I’m putting you to work ain’t I? o_O :cool:

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@afterlife2 and @Verdinut

No, no. I said something like that but with bookshelves. Those last two images are examples of what my type of listening room is as oppose to HT. I'm getting closer and closer as we speak and will put up a couple of images soon.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well, not a speaker stand either :)
A thing that is certainly making me happier than it should is the option to plug other gear like TT or CD player into the outlets on my amp!!! Imagine me saying that to some audiophool... :D:D:D He'd have a seizure!!

But it's so convenient!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

I too struggled to find decent (cost & appearance) speaker stands when I bought my HSU CCB-8s.

HSU recommends a 36 inch high stand to get the CCB-8s to ear level; and those are hard to find. I could find nothing locally and eventually turned to eBay. I bought a pair of Rockville RHTSB 36" Inch Bookshelf Speaker Stands. And they are perfect for our application in the Games Room. (Even though it's my main HT setup with a Dolby Atmos 7.2.4, my Misses has us call it a Games Room.)

The CCB-8s can be seen here and the stands on eBay here

The Rockville stands (see their Website) are rated for 60 pound speakers, but the CCB-8s were only 22 pounds each. As an option you can fill the column (it's hollow) with sand, steel pellets, etc., to increase the on-axis mass => if more stability is needed. I didn't have to do that of course. There are some accessories that come with the stands like Spikes, Pads, and Wire Guides to allow you to "hide" the speaker wires (very important WAF point).

As you can tell, 2 years later and I still think they are great and a real bargain in the Audiophile world. If you are still in the market, give them a look. You won't be wasting your time.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is that a real Eames chair? We are looking for new Theater seating, I wonder what would happen if I purchased one of those...do me a favor, tell me it’s uncomfortable and hurts your back. Please.
I tried one, I don't own one. Having a lower spinal disc herniation, no discomfort whatsoever.

A piece of trivia; Eames made it for Billy Wilder, so I guess theatre would be a right place for it!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Gents,

I too struggled to find decent (cost & appearance) speaker stands when I bought my HSU CCB-8s.

HSU recommends a 36 inch high stand to get the CCB-8s to ear level; and those are hard to find. I could find nothing locally and eventually turned to eBay. I bought a pair of Rockville RHTSB 36" Inch Bookshelf Speaker Stands. And they are perfect for our application in the Games Room. (Even though it's my main HT setup with a Dolby Atmos 7.2.4, my Misses has us call it a Games Room.)

The CCB-8s can be seen here and the stands on eBay here

The Rockville stands (see their Website) are rated for 60 pound speakers, but the CCB-8s were only 22 pounds each. As an option you can fill the column (it's hollow) with sand, steel pellets, etc., to increase the on-axis mass => if more stability is needed. I didn't have to do that of course. There are some accessories that come with the stands like Spikes, Pads, and Wire Guides to allow you to "hide" the speaker wires (very important WAF point).

As you can tell, 2 years later and I still think they are great and a real bargain in the Audiophile world. If you are still in the market, give them a look. You won't be wasting your time.
Thank you very much for the time it took you. All sorts of metal pipes stands are HAF & WAF big no-no. Be it square pipes or round ones, single or more.

These have advantages (heavy, sand filling option, hidin cables), but generally they don't have the:
safe_image.gif

My lady accepted these wooden block ones, which reads; don't touch anything.

G

GeneC

Junior Audioholic
I've been using plant stands for years. No shortage of affordable and nice-looking choices.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I also have 2 pair of 4 post plant stands that I bought many years at unfinished wood furniture stores for about $40/pr. I can sit on them :p ! On the other hand, I bought a pair of what I believe are Paradigm super heavy 24" metal stands at a goodwill type outlet for only $20/pr. A co-worker bought a pair of VTI 18" stands that, while they do the job, they seem lightweight and overpriced.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
In preparation for the home theater install I got these together: Sanus SF34 stands, and I built a couple mounting plates from 1/4" white PVC. Surprisingly solid since the square steel plate is still under the plastic. Better than I expected for the price.

These will hold Revel Concerta2 M16s that will serve as surround speakers. Not sure how well they will match the rustic look of the room, but I'm hoping they are somewhat invisible once in place.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not my favorites, but a great opportunity to get a feel for their popular UniQ concentric drivers. They were pretty dirty and dusted up when I got them, but ended up cleaning up really nice. They're a sealed design and don't have a lot of bass for having a pair of 8" drivers, but don't sound too bad. I think I remember thinking the imaging was really precise but overall sq was a little bit... "fuzzy" compared to some of my nicer speakers.
Those KEFs don't have much in common with the later drivers that would use the Uni-Q design. Don't judge the Uni-Q speakers from those old KEFs. Aside from being a coaxial design, they don't have many similarities and are not going to sound the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also have 2 pair of 4 post plant stands that I bought many years at unfinished wood furniture stores for about $40/pr. I can sit on them :p ! On the other hand, I bought a pair of what I believe are Paradigm super heavy 24" metal stands at a goodwill type outlet for only $20/pr. A co-worker bought a pair of VTI 18" stands that, while they do the job, they seem lightweight and overpriced.
I'd think those VTI stands had hollow tubes that can be filled with sand or steel shot or whatever.....all of mine do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those KEFs don't have much in common with the later drivers that would use the Uni-Q design. Don't judge the Uni-Q speakers from those old KEFs. Aside from being a coaxial design, they don't have many similarities and are not going to sound the same.
Oh of course. I understand that. I would never take a 20 year old entry level speaker to properly represent what a company is capable of, but I did get a feel for the concentric design as far as imaging. That said, I would love to spend some time with a pair of LS50s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis