Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
There seems to be a gross misunderstanding of the pricing structure from companies on this matter by some forum members. Companies sell wayyyy fewer pre pros /multichannel amplifier separates than the corresponding receiver flagship. That is exactly the reason why there is such a price difference between the RX-A3080 receiver (2000 bucks) and the equivalent CX-A5200/Class AB MX-A5200 separates combo (2700+2900 =5600 bucks). There are other factors too. But, we'll leave it there for now.

The RX-A3080 is truly a badassmthrtrucking receiver and you don't need anything else. But, since you seem to like the idea of separates, I could try to offer you a more intelligent solution. You got some extra change and you wanna spend it? and you want to make your RX-A3080 even better? Okay, here you go. Buy this CLASS A behemoth badassmthrtrucking multichannel amp and plug it into the LCR preouts of the RX-A3080 receiver. It will add a crazy li'l sparkle and immediacy for you (something a MX-A5200 or monoprice or any common class AB amp out there simply can't). It's actually about 120W/channel into 8 ohms and 25ish watts in class A. But, for the amount of heat this thing puts out in the summer, be prepared to turn up the airconditioning or strip down to your underwear. In the winter, it would be perfect!
https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/jungson-audio-amplifier-cd-player-c-27/jungson-av-1000a-class-a-home-theater-8-ch-av-amplifier-p-1031?zenid=76fc2907c3697b7a9f3805af0f2411b7
You could also alternatively get 3 Class A monoblocks from these guys for the LCRs or whatever (many ways to do it these days). Keep in mind, these are the guys who actually make the amplifiers for the "highend" gluttonous snake oil pricing thieves here in the US or in Europe. When class A amps like these from China reach Western shores, a different name is given and the price tag becomes 30k or 50k such that a lazy low aptitude dumaz out here can pocket 27k for doing absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, you will not notice any difference in sound between the RX-A3080 and the CX 5200/MX A5200 combo.

P.S
The above mentioned class A amplifier recommendation is only if you're a music aficionado (primarily) and like multichannel music etc... or you wanna run a 2 channel/multi channel hybrid music system, etc and also use it a bit for movies. But, if you're just a regular movie guy (no taste in music) and just wanna hear a fckin dinosaur walking or....you wanna hear a machine gun shooting or if you wanna hear Tom Hanks squealin or something like that....you don't need that extra Class A crystallization. Unrefined movie guys with no taste in music don't deserve that level of refinement!!! Unrefined movie guys with no taste in music don't even deserve a Yamaha RX-A3080 in the first place.....Pyle should do the trick for these movie JimBobs .....bwaaahahahaha
Nice post up.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I always liked Yamaha quality in their electronics, especially their higher end stuff, as you can see from my signature. I'm now after another Yamaha cassette deck, a K1000. This deck with dbx employed, has an SNR of 105db.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like Yamaha is starting to release new info on 2 of their new AVR.

ALL or most the HDMI Inputs (not just one input) are version 2.1/8K with firmware update. I guess once they release the firmware, all the models will come with HDMI 2.1 Inputs.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I always liked Yamaha quality in their electronics, especially their higher end stuff, as you can see from my signature. I'm now after another Yamaha cassette deck, a K1000. This deck with dbx employed, has an SNR of 105db.
DBX, there's something I haven't heard of in a long time. Back in the 70's 80's up to mid 90's had myself a very nice collection of cassettes and a nice player with DBX. Loved it DBX cut out just about all the 'hiss' only at higher levels of listening would I still hear some tape hiss. My go to of 1st choice of Source wasn't my cassette tape deck, TT first than CD player. I did wear out that record button it finely stayed down wouldn't pop back up. I tried to fix it but couldn't.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Looks like Yamaha is starting to release new info on 2 of their new AVR.

ALL or most the HDMI Inputs (not just one input) are version 2.1/8K with firmware update. I guess once they release the firmware, all the models will come with HDMI 2.1 Inputs.

Besides the new HDMI 2.1, would this be a significant upgrade over the previous model?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Besides the new HDMI 2.1, would this be a significant upgrade over the previous model?
In real life, not in terms of actual sound quality or video quality. :D

I mean they can always TWEAK the specs to make sure they measure better for ASR or whomever. So the SINAD or SNR and THD+N numbers may look better.

But better numbers aren't going to make them sound any better. Can't sound better than Great Sound. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
RX-A8. MSRP $3,000. Still has the Main L/R XLR Balanced Inputs and Outputs. HDMI 2.1 x 7 Inputs.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
RX-A8. MSRP $3,000. Still has the Main L/R XLR Balanced Inputs and Outputs. HDMI 2.1 x 7 Inputs.

I noticed that Yamahas new 2020 AVR's are still Not 4 Ohm Certified :rolleyes: for All channels. Just the front L/R channels are . Not something I expected from a 3K AVR . Some do use full range speakers for surrounds. C/B, I didn't say All surrounds not back surrounds or Heights or Atoms. Wonder if Yamaha is a little afraid of taking some heat? Or just playing it safe? Denon or Marantz AVR's seem to be 4 Ohms rated for all channels L/R front Center and surrounds.The one thing that stands out with Denon or Marantz AVR's Owners which is recommended a lot on AH by members that have those AVR's is recommending a fan on top of the AVR for cooling.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed that Yamahas new 2020 AVR's are still Not 4 Ohm Certified :rolleyes: for All channels. Just the front L/R channels are . Not something I expected from a 3K AVR . Some do use full range speakers for surrounds. C/B, I didn't say All surrounds not back surrounds or Heights or Atoms. Wonder if Yamaha is a little afraid of taking some heat? Or just playing it safe? Denon or Marantz AVR's seem to be 4 Ohms rated for all channels L/R front Center and surrounds.The one thing that stands out with Denon or Marantz AVR's Owners which is recommended a lot on AH by members that have those AVR's is recommending a fan on top of the AVR for cooling.
We can only guess. But I don’t think any of their AVRs past or present have been officially 4-own-certified. However, it doesn’t mean they are not stable into 4 ohms.

If Yamaha AVR cannot power 4-ohm speakers for Center and Surrounds, there would be a millions of angry AVR customers around the world since most customers own AVR, not separates AVP/Amps.

Audiophiles tend to overthink. Like some audiophiles think all AVR’s are junk and cannot power any real speakers.

Yamaha AVR‘s have been powering 4-ohm speakers in 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 systems for years. No problem. Still stay cool.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
When Im on my stationary bike in the basement, I listen to 9 channel stereo and send full range to all 6 PSB Image series speakers using my RX-A3060 and it stays cool. In my previous residence, I did the same thing with an RX-V1800..7 channel stereo with the same speakers and it also remained cool. I think Yamaha is just being Yamaha and erroring on the side of caution. Its been my experience that if you give them lots of room to breathe, they dont need help in cooling.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
When Im on my stationary bike in the basement, I listen to 9 channel stereo and send full range to all 6 PSB Image series speakers using my RX-A3060 and it stays cool. In my previous residence, I did the same thing with an RX-V1800..7 channel stereo with the same speakers and it also remained cool. I think Yamaha is just being Yamaha and erroring on the side of caution. Its been my experience that if you give them lots of room to breathe, they dont need help in cooling.
True, I can see that, never did like having to add a "Fan" on top of any audio gear to help cool off. 1, air has "Moisture" so Depending on the climate area you live in one could be blowing Moisture down into the Electronics and we all know what happens when Moisture buildups on a circuit board. Snap! Crackle! Pop!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True, I can see that, never did like having to add a "Fan" on top of any audio gear to help cool off. 1, air has "Moisture" so Depending on the climate area you live in one could be blowing Moisture down into the Electronics and we all know what happens when Moisture buildups on a circuit board. Snap! Crackle! Pop!
So if the fans are blowing Upward, will the fans pull moisture from bottom of AVR into the AVR?

Probably pulling dust into the AVR chassis too.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So if the fans are blowing Upward, will the fans pull moister from bottom of AVR into the AVR?

Probably pulling dust into the AVR chassis too.
Is that a rhetorical question? What if you have a fan blowing from the side or blowing in front? Will the air bring in Moisture sideways? :rolleyes:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The fans pull air out but I didn’t find any benefit from them on my Yamaha so I don’t use them anymore.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The fans pull air out but I didn’t find any benefit from them on my Yamaha so I don’t use them anymore.
Same here. My Yamaha's chassis temp is the same as the room temperature. So if the room temp is 69F, the chassis temp is also 69F. So no point for me to pull dust and/or any moisture through the Yamaha.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that a rhetorical question? What if you have a fan blowing from the side or blowing in front? Will the air bring in Moisture sideways? :rolleyes:
Yeah, some of these guys are smart Alecs and may ask about direction of air flow. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, some of these guys are smart Alecs and may ask about direction of air flow. :D
True, Some on AH will want proof Barometric pressure, wind speed Ambient before and after. Umm Proof with specs and graphs. Like adding a fan will Prolong the longevity or increase power output with less or more Feedback or switch the amp from Class A a lot faster to Class AB. I wonder if fans Prolong the life of a class D amp? Can that be Measured? for a Proven fact that adding a fan actually extends the life of anything outside of just keeping it cool so it just runs at a normal Operating temperature? :D Very very subjective this audio thing is. Why not put fans in speakers right next to the driver's to help cool off voice coils? ;) I know they use that fluid that was Invented by NASA.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True, Some on AH will want proof Barometric pressure, wind speed Ambient before and after. Umm Proof with specs and graphs. Like adding a fan will Prolong the longevity or increase power output with less or more Feedback or switch the amp from Class A a lot faster to Class AB. I wonder if fans Prolong the life of a class D amp? Can that be Measured? for a Proven fact that adding a fan actually extends the life of anything outside of just keeping it cool so it just runs at a normal Operating temperature? :D Very very subjective this audio thing is. Why not put fans in speakers right next to the driver's to help cool off voice coils? ;) I know they use that fluid that was Invented by NASA.
Haha. :D

Well, I think fans can help reduce operating temperature, which is easy enough to measure.

But I have not seen any proofs that using fans on VERY HOT AVR/AVP will increase longevity/reliability.

I used 3 x 120mm fans atop my Denon AVP-A1HDCI and kept the room cool with A/C. And the Denon still broke after 8 years.

Grassy's AVP-A1HDCI also broke after about 8 years. He didn't use any fans. So fans or no fans, it still broke after 8 years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis