Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We wandered into a music store on Sunday to browse. I looked in the CD section and didn't notice her wander into the vinyl section. She came up to me, all excited, with a copy of Lord Huron - Strange Trails. While I like their music, I questioned her choice of format. We don't have a turntable!

I said, "It's your money, but I'm not buying a turntable". She was still insistent, as one of her friends has a "record player". So, she will be able to play the album every blue moon when she goes to her friend's house. I know where this will go. She will eventually want to buy some cheap POS that I won't be able to tolerate in my house!

I can't count the number of times I've thought about buying a TT and getting back into vinyl, but waited until sanity returned. I have over 600 CD's in my collection, all ripped to FLAC. There is utterly no logical reason for me to buy a turntable now. The CD format is superior to vinyl in practically every conceivable category. I understand that there are albums that sound better on vinyl than CD, but that comes down to the album engineering.

Don't get me wrong, the thought of setting up a new piece of audio gear is soooo enticing. The nostalgia of spinning vinyl. The ritual of cueing up a record, studying the album cover art and reading the liner notes is calling to me...

Must....resist!

Somebody talk me down....please!!! :eek:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
We wandered into a music store on Sunday to browse. I looked in the CD section and didn't notice her wander into the vinyl section. She came up to me, all excited, with a copy of Lord Huron - Strange Trails. While I like their music, I questioned her choice of format. We don't have a turntable!

I said, "It's your money, but I'm not buying a turntable". She was still insistent, as one of her friends has a "record player". So, she will be able to play the album every blue moon when she goes to her friend's house. I know where this will go. She will eventually want to buy some cheap POS that I won't be able to tolerate in my house!

I can't count the number of times I've thought about buying a TT and getting back into vinyl, but waited until sanity returned. I have over 600 CD's in my collection, all ripped to FLAC. There is utterly no logical reason for me to buy a turntable now. The CD format is superior to vinyl in practically every conceivable category. I understand that there are albums that sound better on vinyl than CD, but that comes down to the album engineering.

Don't get me wrong, the thought of setting up a new piece of audio gear is soooo enticing. The nostalgia of spinning vinyl. The ritual of cueing up a record, studying the album cover art and reading the liner notes is calling to me...

Must....resist!

Thrift store! Mucho Vinyls and TT turn up once in a while too. Craigslist mucho TT. :)
29735209-721A-4989-B7D7-D1E1B93415B4.jpeg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Must....resist!

You are in the wrong place to get talked down from that ledge! We are enablers over here ;)

Sounds like a good opportunity to open her eyes to the hobby! Give her a little push down this rabbit hole :p

And, the wife can't complain...."hey, this was all her idea"......

I have 2 TTs, ~250 vinyl (trimmed it down some to 250), tons of CDs, and plenty of streaming options. I probably listen to vinyl the least, but like the option.

I also have a couple of little 3D printed shelves for the vinyl sleeve, it is right about the TT, one is on deck, the other is "now playing"

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My other TT:

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
With a TT you can watch Rick spin dizzy, can't do that with CD's :p

IMG_2792.JPG

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't imagine going back down the rabbit hole would be worth it since you only have one vinyl to play....no enabling from me (while I still have my tt and collected vinyl its rarely used...but if I didn't I wouldn't start over from scratch).

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Must....resist!

You just KNOW she will want to listen to that LP at home. Maybe just an entry level TT dad? :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is right up there with "I'm asking for a friend"...

:p :p

lol

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

I have that TT, it's 9 years old still going strong. It gets used about 3 to 4 times a month. I always like Direct drive No belts to mess with.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have that TT, it's 9 years old still going strong. It gets used about 3 to 4 times a month. I always like Direct drive No belts to mess with.
This turntable sells for $400 in Canada, The AT-LP60XUSB is more reasonably priced at $180 but it's not a direct driven platter. However, a belt should last many years if it's of the same quality as the ones made in the 1960's.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'd wager your daughter "knows where this will go" better than you!
She has total trust that you will save her from the misery of a POS TT!
Are you seriously considering disappointing the faith she has in you to "do the right thing"?

You're already on the edge, there's no challenge to you caving when all it takes is the slightest breeze to send you down that hole!

You don't have to go deep! This is all you need for $80: (phono pre-amp built in!)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis