no sound from yamaha rx-v673

P

patryk

Audiophyte
today i turned the receiver on and there was no sound. i started playing with it, the only way i can get sound out of it, if its from the input jacks and Only in pure direct mode. if its not in the pure direct mode i get no sound.
i only use 2 optical cables, one for cable box other for tv
and jack input for my laptop
i tried disconnecting all speakers and unit reset.
Please help, thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
today i turned the receiver on and there was no sound. i started playing with it, the only way i can get sound out of it, if its from the input jacks and Only in pure direct mode. if its not in the pure direct mode i get no sound.
i only use 2 optical cables, one for cable box other for tv
and jack input for my laptop
i tried disconnecting all speakers and unit reset.
Please help, thanks
Obviously this unit has a malfunction. The problem areas are either the power to the processing board, or a major failure of the processing board.

That means either service or replacement is required.

That receiver first appeared in April 2012, so is likely five or six years old. So for a receiver in that mid pack price range it is slightly over half way through its useful life.

Now you can get a used one on Amazon for $349.00. Will you get that unit repaired for less than that? It depends.

Independent service shops have disappeared pretty much, so you will have to send it to a Yamaha service center most likely. You will pay shipping both ways.

Now if it happens that it is something like a cheap regulator that supplies the processor board you will come out ahead. If the board needs replacement, I think you will come out behind.

Also you will have to pay them to find the trouble. likely $75 to $100.

So if you sand it and then decide not to fix it due to cost, then you will be $100 or more behind.

Only you can decide, whether to cut your losses and send the unit to the recycling center and buy a new unit, or roll the dice on repair.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If after unit Reset and still no sound, then I would agree with TLS Guy.

Whether it's Yamaha or Denon, any of these units could malfunction.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
One other thing to try is to unplug the unit for a while, maybe 30 minutes. After that, try the reset again. I had a receiver refuse to turn on after working perfectly for years, and I was about to give up on it...but after having it unplugged for about a day (I tried various shorter durations), it came back to life and worked perfectly for quite a while longer until I decided to upgrade. I don't know why, but perhaps the components just needed to discharge their stored energy. I'll leave the "why" up to the resident sparkies - I just know it worked. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

One other thing to try is to unplug the unit for a while, maybe 30 minutes. After that, try the reset again. I had a receiver refuse to turn on after working perfectly for years, and I was about to give up on it...but after having it unplugged for about a day (I tried various shorter durations), it came back to life and worked perfectly for quite a while longer until I decided to upgrade. I don't know why, but perhaps the components just needed to discharge their stored energy. I'll leave the "why the " up to the resident sparkies - I just know it worked. :)
You can do the same thing by pressing the on button about thirty times before doing the reset. A reset may not work properly until all the caps are discharged.

I always do that before resetting anything.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
A reset may not work properly until all the caps are discharged.
That's why we would unplug a laptop, remove the battery, and let sit for at least 10 minutes, before re-applying power. The lab guys said it took at least 10 minutes for the CMOS battery caps to discharge, enabling a proper reset.

M

Mario Laranjeiras

Audiophyte
Hello friends. For me, seems to be the end of line of my RX-v673 too. Same problem. After three months kept, when I turned it on again, does everything, but the sound. No firmware version on it. Device error when trying to update the firmware throught USB and Web. I used the desktop control to try the update. Ok untill Step 5. To change the board I will pay more then the receiver itself.

Desktop Firmware Upload.jpg Desktop Firmware Upload1.jpg .

Brian Steele

Brian Steele

Enthusiast
Same issue with my RX-V673, which recently failed in the same manner. Turns out that it looks like the cause is a flawed DSP chip from TI, the D80YK113CPTP400. If you pop the top off your receiver, and you see that chip on the top board (see attached picture), it's the likely cause.

Attachments

Brian Steele

Brian Steele

Enthusiast
This isn't possible, Yamahas don't have issues, set these guys right @AcuDefTechGuy and @M Code :)
A quick Google search on "Yamaha RX-V673 no sound HDMI" will return quite a few hits. TI apparently issued an alert about the chip in question and issued a replacement. However the chip (in the above-mentioned version) was used in the RS-V673. The tech guy I'm working with took it up with Yamaha, and the word back from HQ was, and I quote "This product is produce by an external company. There is no report from HQ that this chip is affecting our products in huge quantities. It may have been this specific case. We can provide the Digital Board for replacement."

And yes, I've confirmed that it's the chip in question. Applying a heat gun for a few seconds to the top chip returns the receiver to service, and then it stops working when the chip cools down.

The board in question costs $300. The receiver, when purchased new seven years ago, cost $600. And no information was provided to indicate if the replacement board was going to include the same chip or its replacement.

And yes, I'm pissed.

TI notice here - https://media.digikey.com/PDF/PCNs/Texas Instruments/PCN20121114000_Obs.pdf

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

A quick Google search on "Yamaha RX-V673 no sound HDMI" will return quite a few hits. TI apparently issued an alert about the chip in question and issued a replacement. However the chip (in the above-mentioned version) was used in the RS-V673. The tech guy I'm working with took it up with Yamaha, and the word back from HQ was, and I quote "This product is produce by an external company. There is no report from HQ that this chip is affecting our products in huge quantities. It may have been this specific case. We can provide the Digital Board for replacement."

And yes, I've confirmed that it's the chip in question. Applying a heat gun for a few seconds to the top chip returns the receiver to service, and then it stops working when the chip cools down.

The board in question costs $300. The receiver, when purchased new seven years ago, cost $600. And no information was provided to indicate if the replacement board was going to include the same chip or its replacement.

And yes, I'm pissed.

TI notice here - https://media.digikey.com/PDF/PCNs/Texas Instruments/PCN20121114000_Obs.pdf
Well this sort of thing does and will happen. These chips are complex and it is impossible to predict how they will age. TI has made a vast number of excellent semiconductor devices over the years. They will not all be winners. Anytime you purchase any electronic device, this is a risk you have to take. The only way to reduce the risk is to buy less gear. So either you shake this off and buy a new receiver and accept the risk, or you don't and listen to the TV speakers. There is a finite risk your TV could bite the dust and eventually it will.

Being pissed about it does not solve your problem, only replacing the unit will.

Brian Steele

Brian Steele

Enthusiast
Quoting from the TI article that I provided a link to:

"TI is offering a non-cancelable lifetime buy for the products listed. "

Meanwhile my 24 year old Technics receiver is working fine. Ok, there was a cold-solder joint on one speaker output terminal that needed to be fixed, but that's it (a few minutes with a soldering iron was all that was required).

And BTW TI released that notice in Dec 2012. I purchased the receiver in July 2012. Looks like TI able to predict the impact of aging on the chip, as the problem that they outlined in their release only showed up this year for my system.

I'm pissed off for several reasons. For example, not only because TI offers a replacement chip, but also because even if I purchase the replacement (around $50, I believe), there's no way to just replace it on the board. This is not a job that a tech can do with a soldering iron and a few minutes of their time. Even the Yamaha service manual for the receiver suggests that it's non-replaceable. Had they socketed rather than soldered on the larger chips on the digital board, at least the cost of repair would be acceptable. Having to replace the entire board makes it unacceptable.

Look, I own LOTs of electronic equipment (being an IT/Tech guy and all). I know stuff will fail due to user error, physical damage and also due to random component failure. I also know that very rarely does the latter happen, unless the components have significantly aged (decades).. This is a bit more than that, because the failure in question appears to be caused by a chip with a flaw that was known since 2013, and the cost of repair is too much.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This isn't possible, Yamahas don't have issues, set these guys right @AcuDefTechGuy and @M Code :)
Well, don’t leave @3db out! He was a Y-member when I was still in DM-diapers. :D

But seriously, nothing is perfect as TLG Guy says. I am just hoping with my change (to Y) that the risk is less, not 0%.

Also awesome to know that shipping is free both ways under warranty with Y.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The mentioned Yamaha failures were due to a TI DSP chip flaw, the same 1 that caused major issues with Pioneer's U22 error..
No CE electronic device is perfect... :rolleyes:
But I still stand by my position Yamaha is #1 for reliability.. M Code can't be right all of the time.. Or can he?? o_O

Just my $0.02... ;)

Brian Steele

Brian Steele

Enthusiast
The mentioned Yamaha failures were due to a TI DSP chip flaw, the same 1 that caused major issues with Pioneer's U22 error..
Yes, and look at the difference in response to the issue. Onkyo/Pioneer offered to fix the receivers AT NO COST with a new updated chip with an updated 90 day warranty, or provide a discount towards purchase of a new receiver.

Yamaha's response? See my previous posts.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Pioneer/Onkyo repair window is closed... Regarding Yamaha, contact them U may be surprised about their response.. :)

Just my $0.02.... ;)

Brian Steele

Brian Steele

Enthusiast
Pioneer/Onkyo repair window is closed... Regarding Yamaha, contact them U may be surprised about their response.. :)
My tech contact did contact them. They refused to acknowledge that there was a flawed chip issue. And yes, I was surprised at their response. I expected better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis