My First Concert- What was Yours?

jjborders

jjborders

Audiophyte
Summer Jam 1978 in Louisville, KY. Outdoor stadium concert. The 3 major acts were Reo Speedwagon, Thin Lizzie, and Foreigner. I don't remember the minor acts. It was a blast, except for men's room at the end of the day - puke all over the place.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
The first concert I actually went to was a performance of Georges Bizet's "Carmen" at the MET in NYC in 1967. This was the first season in the new complex (though many buildings were still under construction). The opulence of the opera house blew me away when I walked in. The performance was amazing.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The opulence of the opera house blew me away when I walked in.
I had the same feeling the first time I walked into Radio City to see the Christmas Spectacular. Special Place

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
"Like a doggy on a chain ... "

Can't f^%&in' stand him.

You know his live album? Why? :D

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot: Police with The Thompson Twins. Early 80's. Edmonton.

I lived in Calgary so that means road trip and that means speeding ticket.
Only reason I know it was because it was a demo for a surround display at work many years ago.

He was seemingly soooo popular. All over MTV at the time, but I don't remember a single person I knew that liked his music.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@panteragstk
I was noticing the same phenomenon: a goodly portion of the responses contained what is now "classic rock" selections. That made me feel good since that's the cornerstone of my love for music. It also asked a question I've posed many times to others: "do the classic rock albums you remember suck as bad mine for recording quality?"

Actually the answer and the truth of the matter is all over the place. There are indeed selections I loved in the car and the old home rig that really are poorly put together and recorded. My system today makes that pretty clear. I still love the tune but wow the recording quality just wasn't there. Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" is an example. I love the tune. It rocks. But the recording quality just is as bland as vanilla pudding. Others that come immediately to mind are stuff by the Mama's and the Papa's. For all their pipes, most of the recordings are very pedestrian. Many of the live recordings also were so full of audience screams and noise you couldn't turn them up much at all.

But, just as surprising to me are those selections from the same period that were recorded by folks that knew their craft and those sound brand freakin' new. One that comes to mind is Neil Diamond. Take his "Hot August Nights" double live album. You can crank that up to 11 and it sounds as good as any new and modern recording. As well, Deep Purples "Made in Japan" from 1972 will rattle your windows: in a good way. Great fidelity and a pretty nice live ambience without too much. I will rest my case with Peter Frampton. "Frampton Comes Alive". If there's a better more magical recording of a live rock concert I haven't heard it.

@panteragstk also asked if we listen to those oldies as much as in the olden days. Yes and no. Yes, I will go on a tear and drag them out and do several hours worth. But, one of the stunning revelations of my Salks and the system I run at home now is just how lovely many different types of music are. I never listened to jazz. Ever. But after getting the Salks, jazz has taken on a new life and I love it. Blues guitar as well has really taken off in my library. This year, with the help of @Verdinut I am beginning to build a classical collection. Its slow learning on my part. But, I'm learning to appreciate and get some love for the classics now.

This has been a great thread. Anyplace that has room for @Pogre and the Tool and metal crowd as well as old time rockers, jazz folks and the classics is a pretty diverse and welcoming place. I have enjoyed this.
Good points.

I've always loved blues and classical, and good systems sure do show them at their best. I've found that some good remasters are very nice on my system. Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality sounds pretty great along with a lot of others.

I think the bad ones I'm thinking of were more 90's than 70's and before. There are some from the 70's that sound bad, but nothing stands out as I type this.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’d rather listen to John Mayer. They have similar styles, but like JM voice a hell of a lot better.
I agree to an extent. John is a FANTASTIC guitarist, but his lyrics kill his music for me. That, and I had a good friend who put him on every time I went to his house in college. I asked "can we listen to literally anything else?" and he finally got it that the same 5 John Mayer songs over and over got a bit old.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree to an extent. John is a FANTASTIC guitarist, but his lyrics kill his music for me. That, and I had a good friend who put him on every time I went to his house in college. I asked "can we listen to literally anything else?" and he finally got it that the same 5 John Mayer songs over and over got a bit old.
"Say what you mean to say ... " Ugh.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I think another take on this thread would be music or a musician that you thinks really sucks that other folks think is the bomb. The biggest problem is that it would get super negative and everyone would get ticked off. Maybe that's not such a great idea for a thread afterall.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think another take on this thread would be music or a musician that you thinks really sucks that other folks think is the bomb. The biggest problem is that it would get super negative and everyone would get ticked off. Maybe that's not such a great idea for a thread afterall.
Or just leave the opinions of the musicians and music out of it altogether.....just to see what the concert experiences were about for the one attending.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Summer Jam 1978 in Louisville, KY. Outdoor stadium concert. The 3 major acts were Reo Speedwagon, Thin Lizzie, and Foreigner. I don't remember the minor acts. It was a blast, except for men's room at the end of the day - puke all over the place.
How did Ridin the Storm out sound in a stadium? I saw them indoors late 70s but I bet that song rocked outdoors :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Or just leave the opinions of the musicians and music out of it altogether.....just to see what the concert experiences were about for the one attending.
Here's both.

I went to a Three Doors Down concert with my mom (she's been to so many I don't even remember who all she's seen) and that was a band I didn't particularly like, but who's songs were tolerable. Well, the concert changed my mind. The show was excellent, even in the outdoor amphitheater that wasn't all that great.

Same thing happened with Pappa Roach. Not a fan, but boy was that an enjoyable show. I'd see them again without hesitation.

I did see Seether and Shinedown when they were at their height and that was excellent too. They did a cover of Man in the Box by Alice in Chains with the singer of Dark New Day and I'd have sword it was Alice in Chains live with Lane. Jaw hit the floor on that one.

My brother's band opened for Candlebox and their singer was an ass. This was WAY past their high point and it was confusing for a band nobody had heard from in a decade to be so pompous.

One thing I learned about a lot of singers in bands is that they are all shockingly SHORT. Not all of them obviously, but on videos and interviews you'd never guess some of these folks are under 5'5".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will take a listen to Shinedown....never heard of them.....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Will take a listen to Shinedown....never heard of them.....
If you can find a copy of them live on there acoustic tour . Live in Kansas City on dvd it’s shot in high def and is stunning and the soundtrack is incredible too .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis