Thoughts on NHT SW12 sub? Modern thoughts please, I know its older.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, just caught up on this thread... pretty entertaining.
4 Da Shorteez - Album on Imgur

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s true, but sometimes what ya don’t know...
Well, it's like the rest of the generation overkill audiophiles. The people using separates will say that others "don't know" or missing out.

And people who own $20K-$30 speakers will say that others don't know or missing out.

But people can audition speakers and subs and they can KNOW if they want to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Huh! Don’t know how I missed that. I thought you were just using the towers.
Sometimes it takes a while to come out of the closet. :D

I have been telling people forever that using a ONE 10" sub CAN sound just fine. :D

It didn't seem right to follow up with, "But I use TEN subs". :D

I do need to get two more RBH SV-1212 subs for my SVT towers in my living room so that I can grow up and be like Gene. :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, it's like the rest of the generation overkill audiophiles. The people using separates will say that others "don't know" or missing out.

And people who own $20K-$30 speakers will say that others don't know or missing out.

But people can audition speakers and subs and they can KNOW if they want to.
Yes! Thankfully the in home trial makes the process easier!

Sometimes it takes a while to come out of the closet. :D

I have been telling people forever that using a single 10" sub CAN sound just fine. :D
Well the closet can be very comfortable lmao!

And sure, a 10” sub CAN sound good, and if it’s well designed and built, should perform well in a smaller space. However, expectations should be tempered. That’s where bad come comes in!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes! Thankfully the in home trial makes the process easier!

Well the closet can be very comfortable lmao!

And sure, a 10” sub CAN sound good, and if it’s well designed and built, should perform well in a smaller space. However, expectations should be tempered. That’s where bad come comes in!!!
Definitely NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL. :D

If you have the means, buy 20 Godzilla subs if that makes you happy.

But every case is different. We all try to "read" everyone's mind. Is he asking if it is possible that he will be "happy" with the current sub? Or is he asking if his sub is Godzilla?

That's why we all come up with different responses. :D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
But if it's something they already own, I prefer to save them money and go the SENSIBLE route and tell them that if it sounds good, then it is good, regardless of the kind of subs anyone else has. :D
You also like to Confuse new guys and bring up stuff that's not related to the Topic like your Passive Subs so they can be a 1%'r. SMH

Bad Cop
253195e020083b871f721fdd87f9228e~2.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You also like to Confuse new guys and bring up stuff that's not related to the Topic like your Passive Subs so they can be a 1%'r. SMH

Bad Cop
ADTG, he's the ... err ... "its complicated" cop! :D
Well, the passive-sub FYI is for reading while he's enjoying the 12" sub.

Doing my part to make sure all new members are well-rounded in the knowledge of active vs passive subs and such. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Doing my part to make sure all new members are well-rounded in the knowledge of active vs passive subs and such. :D
What are the options?
Say I have $900 for a sub/amp system, what would be a good passive alternative to the normal suspects (Hsu. SVS, etc)?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are the options?
Say I have $900 for a sub/amp system, what would be a good passive alternative to the normal suspects (Hsu. SVS, etc)?
Like a lot of "separates" (preamp + amp or pre-pro + amp), a separate passive sub + amp will cost more, which I think is your point? :D

But if this were a pop quiz, for $900, you can get an RBH SI-12 Sub + Dayton Audio SA230 Sub amp. The SI-12 sub is 12" x 9" x 42", so it's long, but it is only 9" thick. It is called an "in-ceiling/-in-floor sub", but you can place it on the floor just any sub.

If you already have an extra amp or extra channel of amp in your 5/7 CH amp (I use the ATI AT2005 amp to power all 10 subs in my HT room), you could get the SI-1010 sub. Or get two SI-12 subs for a little more than $900.

So definitely less expensive if you already have an extra Amp or extra Channel of amp.

But overall, going the "Separates" route will cost more money when it comes to subs just like in preamps + amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit :)

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
Wow, this was alot to catch up on. Im working nights so I sleep during the day right now. Thanks for the entertaining thread guys lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis