Thoughts on NHT SW12 sub? Modern thoughts please, I know its older.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You can call me a Sack of poop, but when you call me a Meatball, well those are Fighting Words

middle_finger_poo_emoji_wall_decal-rdc25cae30d5f424cbea0bac50d9a89cb_kouf2_8byvr_704~2.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hell yea thanks for this :)
Yeah, I'm like your good angel on your right shoulder. And some of these guys are like the devil on your left shoulder telling you that you need to spend more money so that your subs can DESTROY your neighbor's subs and their neighbor's subs. :D

But what is YOUR definition of "DESTROY"?

If the 4 walls SHAKE like an earthquake? Well, I think the walls will shake like an earthquake if you turn your subwoofer volume to 40%. Most guys will only need to turn their subwoofer volume to 20%.

So you can buy a monster sub and turn the subwoofer volume to 20% or keep your 12" subwoofer and turn the subwoofer volume to 40%. :D

Good Angel. :D

In the meantime, you do a lot more research into subwoofers. Like even look into externally-powered subwoofers (aka Passive subs), which probably 99% of all people have NEVER used.

So maybe one day you can be that 1% of all people who use passive subs + separate external amps, while 99% of all people will continue to use those mass-market built-in sub-plate amps for the rest of their lives. :D

My very first ever sub was the NHT SW2P, which is passive and uses an external amp. I thank NHT for starting me on this passive-sub path almost 30 years ago. :D

Too bad NHT no longer makes passive subs.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, we gotta have good-cop-bad-cop, right? :D

I'm the good-cop who tells people that if it sounds good, then it's good. Save your money.

You're the bad-cop who tells people they need to buy subs, speakers, and electronics that will DESTROY EVERYTHING. :eek: :D
Lol! I guess that’s kinda true. Life IS about balance. The irony is that I have three subs, and you have five!!!

Truth is, I’m pretty quick to dismiss certain things, especially subwoofers. I just hate to see people make a big purchase(in this case it was free so...)only to find the experience underwhelming and either have to spend more money, or even worse leave the hobby. I really do try to consider the use case of a poster as opposed to just saying get XYZ sub, although many times just going to the bottom of the page is the right answer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol! I guess that’s kinda true. Life IS about balance. The irony is that I have three subs, and you have five!!!

Truth is, I’m pretty quick to dismiss certain things, especially subwoofers. I just hate to see people make a big purchase(in this case it was free so...)only to find the experience underwhelming and either have to spend more money, or even worse leave the hobby. I really do try to consider the use case of a poster as opposed to just saying get XYZ sub, although many times just going to the bottom of the page is the right answer.
Yeah, if it's a NEW Purchase, then might as well get Godzilla or one of his buddies. :D

But if it's something they already own, I prefer to save them money and go the SENSIBLE route and tell them that if it sounds good, then it is good, regardless of the kind of subs anyone else has.

BTW, I have 10 subs = Six of the RBH dual-10" subs plus Four of the Velodyne 12" subs. Gotta keep up with Gene and his four RBH dual-12" subs. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But what is YOUR definition of "DESTROY"?

So you can buy a monster sub and turn the subwoofer volume to 20% or keep your 12" subwoofer and turn the subwoofer volume to 40%. :D
Ok, destroy is extreme, but it was a lot easier than typing out that a newer sub will outperform the NHT in just about every way. Even good subs from the early 2000’s just aren’t the same as they are today, and imo “shaking the walls” is not the only metric, and I’m pretty sure we can agree that the “monster sub” quote above is not applicable. It’s just not that simple.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, if it's a NEW Purchase, then might as well get Godzilla or one of his buddies. :D

But if it's something they already own, I prefer to save them money and go the SENSIBLE route and tell them that if it sounds good, then it is good, regardless of the kind of subs anyone else has.

BTW, I have 10 subs = Six of the RBH dual-10" subs plus Four of the Velodyne 12" subs.
If it sounds good, could it sound better? Lol
Agreed, he does own this sub, so the equation here is different than usual. I also did say he needs to use it somewhere as such.
Have you always used the Velodynes?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, destroy is extreme, but it was a lot easier than typing out that a newer sub will outperform the NHT in just about every way. Even good subs from the early 2000’s just aren’t the same as they are today, and imo “shaking the walls” is not the only metric, and I’m pretty sure we can agree that the “monster sub” quote above is not applicable. It’s just not that simple.
Well, at the end of the day, the ONLY METRIC that matters is how it sounds to the owner, right?

If the bass sounds "awesome" to them, who's to say that it isn't? :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If it sounds good, could it sound better? Lol
Agreed, he does own this sub, so the equation here is different than usual. I also did say he needs to use it somewhere as such.
Have you always used the Velodynes?
I have used the 4 Velodyne subs for a while.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, at the end of the day, the ONLY METRIC that matters is how it sounds to the owner, right?

If the bass sounds "awesome", who's to say that it isn't? :D
That’s true, but sometimes what ya don’t know...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis