Dual "Double Decker" Subs

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Great, now I'm re-thinking all my sub plans. :confused:

I've got 4 drivers just waiting for boxes. Did some modeling yesterday, but now I'm thinking of putting them all in one box. Maybe.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Great, now I'm re-thinking all my sub plans. :confused:

I've got 4 drivers just waiting for boxes. Did some modeling yesterday, but now I'm thinking of putting them all in one box. Maybe.
I would not want to try moving that box around.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would not want to try moving that box around.
True, but they're 12" and one 15", but I'm still trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

I have 5 12" drivers and one 15". Two 12's are in use currently in the theater and sound fine, but I'm missing some low end that I think I might be able to pick up with vented box design. Maybe more if I use multiple drivers in each box.

Lots of research in my future.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
True, but they're 12" and one 15", but I'm still trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

I have 5 12" drivers and one 15". Two 12's are in use currently in the theater and sound fine, but I'm missing some low end that I think I might be able to pick up with vented box design. Maybe more if I use multiple drivers in each box.

Lots of research in my future.
Ahh, that's a bit better. In my head I was imagining trying to lug around one box with four UM-18's in it! :eek:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
In my head I was imagining trying to lug around one box with four UM-18's in it! :eek:
I can't remember who made a Triangle Sub with 3 Drivers?
How about 2-21" Drivers?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ahh, that's a bit better. In my head I was imagining trying to lug around one box with four UM-18's in it! :eek:
Yeah, that would have been some work. I don't even want to think about that. Just one UM-18 in a sealed box like yours makes me nervous considering I would have to lug it up my stairs.

Since I never finished all my sealed boxes for the remaining 12" drivers I may go another route, but all I need to do is glue up the front and route the hole for the driver and I'm done. Just been to busy to get it done. If 4 12" drivers in sealed boxes don't get me where I want (and I don't think they will) then I'm going to have to get an idea of how a vented build would work and if it'd be worth my time.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, that would have been some work. I don't even want to think about that. Just one UM-18 in a sealed box like yours makes me nervous considering I would have to lug it up my stairs.

Since I never finished all my sealed boxes for the remaining 12" drivers I may go another route, but all I need to do is glue up the front and route the hole for the driver and I'm done. Just been to busy to get it done. If 4 12" drivers in sealed boxes don't get me where I want (and I don't think they will) then I'm going to have to get an idea of how a vented build would work and if it'd be worth my time.
Aww come one, it's only 110 lbs! ;) I'm not gonna lie, I've been tempted by the mini marty flat packs at GSGAD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't remember who made a Triangle Sub with 3 Drivers?
How about 2-21" Drivers?
Something like the Paradigm Sub 2 ?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Aside from the extra output, those types of subs do have a couple advantages. They give you lot more output per footprint, and there is more room in the cabinet for longer ports in case the designer wants to tune them to very low frequencies such as the 10Hz tuning frequency of the JTR Captivator 4000ULF. The disadvantage is that they are a nightmare to handle, and once you get one you are kind of stuck with it because you will have a difficult time reselling it if you decide you don't want it anymore. I think its usually better to get a bunch of smaller subs with good baseline performance rather than one behemoth.

To your point, I think it is probably good to try to buy from one of the poor souls who is having trouble moving one of these vs. being the poor soul who needs to move one unless the funds are available for new (at $3-$4K its a big decision). SO I'll keep my eyes open. Like I said, missed a chance locally a couple years back before I knew I could even think of having such a thing. Amazing they are like 250 pounds. For me I have a perfect spot for one because I have a space that is behind my TV/TV stand in a corner of the room where it wouldn't be very visible and if it's quality hopefully would never be moved. But again how much upgrade and how much it's worth the aggravation and $ is debatable.

Sounds like Danzilla would say it's worth it however! So I'm on the lookout.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Amazing they are like 250 pounds.
But again how much upgrade and how much it's worth the aggravation and $ is debatable.
The Bigger, Heavier, the Better the Investment.

I Love my Behemoth Subwoofer

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So wrt "double decker" subs how would a pair of say, one of RBH's SV1212 passive subs perform being powered by a couple of spare amp channels on a Monolith amplifier? Would it be enough power to still get some decent performance or just not enough and cause constant clipping and not even worth considering?

No, I'm not considering this for myself. If I had enough to buy a pair of those I would also make sure I had enough for an appropriate amplifier for them. Or just buy powered subs. I'm just curious.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
There are also dual-opposed designs (sealed generally) to save space somewhat....and have fairly inert cabinets as a result of the cancellation.
Is that like the Seaton Submersive? I've seen one for sale but those are sealed and I generally prefer ported if I'm going spend decent money.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
So wrt "double decker" subs how would a pair of say, one of RBH's SV1212 passive subs perform being powered by a couple of spare amp channels on a Monolith amplifier? Would it be enough power to still get some decent performance or just not enough and cause constant clipping and not even worth considering?

No, I'm not considering this for myself. If I had enough to buy a pair of those I would also make sure I had enough for an appropriate amplifier for them. Or just buy powered subs. I'm just curious.
So on that Axiom EP600 I was posting about recently that had a bad amp (sold it and got my money back out of it). I tried this using a 200WPC amp spot from my AMP to make sure the driver worked and frankly it didn't seem like enough power. I wasn't impressed. Granted the SUB isn't as good as what your talking about but I'd definately invest in an crown or something if you went that route or just buy a powered sub which is what I'll probably do. What I like about the crown avenue is that the crown might still be useful for something long after the sub is gone. But that assumes I would know how to dial it in.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So on that Axiom EP600 I was posting about recently that had a bad amp (sold it and got my money back out of it). I tried this using a 200WPC amp spot from my AMP to make sure the driver worked and frankly it didn't seem like enough power. I wasn't impressed. Granted the SUB isn't as good as what your talking about but I'd definately invest in an crown or something if you went that route or just buy a powered sub which is what I'll probably do. What I like about the crown avenue is that the crown might still be useful for something long after the sub is gone. But that assumes I would know how to dial it in.
Gotcha. Just plain weaksauce was your experience with a different sub. I'd definitely go the Crown route in that situation too. They're good little amps with plenty of power and flexibility.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis