Need help chosing Pre Pro/Receiver

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is even funnier to read posts that claimed such power amps made their system sound better even when listening at such low levels. Reality could be the opposite if you look at the power curves of some low power amps, they do very well at levels below 1 w in terms of distortions.
Oh yeah definitely - my speakers NEED a lot power to sound their best, and according to my power meter I'm using - WAIT WHAT - ONE whole watt? :eek: :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I remember my first power amp with meters....I was a bit disappointed :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
LOL I remember my first power amp with meters....I was a bit disappointed :)
I used to use the "hold" function to capture the largest peak on my McIntosh amps just to show a 30w peak on classical music, and it was loud. Don't get me wrong I had them up over hundred a few times but never anywhere close to 500w.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Wow tons of replys lol awesome. So thanks for the replys first off, secondly is there a better brand than svs to go for SQ overall for around 3500 4500? Trying to get at least a 5.1 to start out with. Trying to go for best SQ for the price and best sounding 3D Audio for using them with in a 5.1-9.2.6 Setup. Not trying to get equipment then sell it later on. Trying to get stuff I wont need to upgrade for 10 or 15 years if need be. So far I like what is being said about arcam and audiocontrol. And unfortunately i dont have 10k to spend on a reciever so 6k or 7k is my limit. And for a 5.1 speaker package I would like to keep it around 4k if possible just looking for the best brand for the price for SQ. Any tips would help no information is bad information unless your telling me to go buy some walmart speakers ;3.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
is there a better brand than svs to go for SQ overall for around 3500 4500? Trying to get at least a 5.1 to start out with. Trying to go for best SQ for the price and best sounding 3D Audio

spend on a reciever so 6k or 7k is my limit.
You have it All Backwards. Most of your Budget is to be Spent on the SPEAKERS. You keep saying you want the "Best Sound Quality". Yes you need good Gear to drive your Speakers. But the SQ DOESN'T come from the Gear. I've never sat in front of my AVR/Pre-Pro and Amp and said WOW they sound Great. SMH

Yes there are better Sounding Speakers then SVS. (But just like Cars and Trucks everyone is going to have their favorites)

So the Question is -- are you trying to spend $10-$11k on all Speakers, Sub, and Gear?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If that was my Budget this is where I would start looking at Speakers

Aerial Acoustics 6T

JBL HDi 3800

I'd also look at

Focal
Dynaudio
Revel

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
You have it All Backwards. Most of your Budget is to be Spent on the SPEAKERS. You keep saying you want the "Best Sound Quality". Yes you need good Gear to drive your Speakers. But the SQ DOESN'T come from the Gear. I've never sat in front of my AVR/Pre-Pro and Amp and said WOW they sound Great. SMH

Yes there are better Sounding Speakers then SVS. (But just like Cars and Trucks everyone is going to have their favorites)

So the Question is -- are you trying to spend $10-$11k on all Speakers, Sub, and Gear?
I see what your saying. I just am trying to get a really good quality receiver/pre pro that is going to last and not crap out on me. That's why I wanted to start with that. But the fact that you guys are saying that had me thinking maybe I should stretch out my budget a little more even if I acquire the speakers slower over time. Ok maybe I can spend 7-8k on the speakers. To at least match the receiver price.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
If that was my Budget this is where I would start looking at Speakers

Aerial Acoustics 6T

JBL HDi 3800

I'd also look at

Focal
Dynaudio
Revel
Which brand would be better for a 8k budget on just speakers. Need to get at LEAST a 5.1 setup. What brand for speakers and subwoofers. Learning a little bit just talking to you guys I appreciate it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Which brand would be better for a 8k budget on just speakers. Need to get at LEAST a 5.1 setup. What brand for speakers and subwoofers.
I just listed some speakers. Buy the time you add Center Channel, Surrounds and Sub. You'll be somewhere close. The Aerials will be over budget.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
I just listed some speakers. Buy the time you add Center Channel, Surrounds and Sub. You'll be somewhere close. The Aerials will be over budget.
What's your opinion on Bowers and Wilkins speakers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I see what your saying. I just am trying to get a really good quality receiver/pre pro that is going to last and not crap out on me. That's why I wanted to start with that. But the fact that you guys are saying that had me thinking maybe I should stretch out my budget a little more even if I acquire the speakers slower over time. Ok maybe I can spend 7-8k on the speakers. To at least match the receiver price.
How large is your space *Include if if opens to another room like the kitchen* and what type of listening levels are you wanting to achieve at the main seating position?

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
How large is your space *Include if if opens to another room like the kitchen* and what type of listening levels are you wanting to achieve at the main seating position?
Medium size living room not small by any means. Listening level wise, not terribly loud probably 60-70% turned up at max. So fairly loud. DB wise not sure.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What about the 703 s2 towers and 706 s2 bookshelfs? Are those alright if not what would be better? Would the 800 series be worth the price difference ?
I'd take the JBLs Steven linked before taking the B&Ws. Here is the review of their big brother and should be comparable except in bass extension (there no slouches though).

That's what you want in a speaker. Neutral and the same on and off axis (nearly)

The B&W will not a bad speaker, wont be able to claim that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Comparing the larger JBL to the larger B&W you can see the difference between the two responses, the JBL first..
Screenshot_20200801-050448_Chrome.jpg

And the 702
518BW702fig4.jpg

The B&Ws are also a much harder speaker to drive with dips below 4ohms

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
I'd take the JBLs Steven linked before taking the B&Ws. Here is the review of their big brother and should be comparable except in bass extension (there no slouches though).

That's what you want in a speaker. Neutral and the same on and off axis (nearly)

The B&W will not a bad speaker, wont be able to claim that.
I feel like the jbl will perform better than the b and w but in terms of SQ I feel like the b and w would be better. I could be wrong but it seems like people on youtube suggest that. Wish I had some home theater stores near me. Gonna have to find a jbl retailer near me. Live in atlanta Georgia so it shouldn't be hard to find one lol.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Comparing the larger JBL to the larger B&W you can see the difference between the two responses, the JBL first..
View attachment 38430
And the 702
View attachment 38431

The B&Ws are also a much harder speaker to drive with dips below 4ohms
So is that chart based off of impendance ? You said dips in under 4 ohms what does that mean exactly. Just curious is all. Just saw this before my last post btw.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I feel like the jbl will perform better than the b and w but in terms of SQ I feel like the b and w would be better. I could be wrong but it seems like people on youtube suggest that. Wish I had some home theater stores near me. Gonna have to find a jbl retailer near me. Live in atlanta Georgia so it shouldn't be hard to find one lol.
Objectively, no the B&W wont. Subjectively maybe. That's why I linked their responses, and the B&W wont have near as good off axis performance (or on axis) . It seems you are hung up on boutique brand names more that what they actually do. B&W (except 800 series) are notorious for their midrange humps and dips into the lower treble. You want a flat responce with good on and off axis performance, that way if you feel you want to tailor the sound to your ear, it makes shaping it easier (I personally want it flat).

The I'd take the Ultras in a heartbeat over the B&Ws. I've owned a few of their speakers over the years and never liked a one. I still have a pair sitting in a closet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis