I’d like to get burned on this opinion question.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did some reading and ordered the miniDSP and mic, along with a pair of RCA cables. I'm still not comfortable with this, but willing to give it a try.
There's a learning curve, but once you get your arms around it, it's pretty nice to have. Stick with the Java version and learn it. ASIO4ALL allows for multi channel calibration but it's an even steeper learning curve and I don't find it necessary to worry about all the other channels as long as subs and main speakers are good.

I forget, how big is your room and what do you have for subs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Total area of approx. 6441 sq ft, while the living room and kitchen have a combined area of approx. 4517 sq ft.

I have a pair of SVS SB4000's. One in each corner of the front wall.
Well, cubic feet for total volume is more useful, tho it does sound like you have a pretty large space and would benefit from ported subs. The SB 4000 is a very good sub, but you'll get more deep bass output from the PB.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would absolutely have Pb/pc’s too, from SVS anyway. That’s a pretty big space.
I have to say I applaud the willingness to dive right in and see what you can do! Lots of people would have said I got enuff base and given the finger. Lol
So this will be interesting to see.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I don't think I could put 2 more subs in the room, not sure where they could possibly go.

I could, however, upgrade to a pair of SVS PB16 Ultra's.

I'll have to see how the current subs/placement measure.

C

Clownaphobia

Audioholic Intern
I don't think I could put 2 more subs in the room, not sure where they could possibly go.

I could, however, upgrade to a pair of SVS PB16 Ultra's.

I'll have to see how the current subs/placement measure.

Does the system sounds good to YOU? This is quite a rabbit hole you may end up going down. I do think it is a little unfair to assume that sealed subwoofers shouldn’t be used in larger rooms. I have a “large” room, and run 2 12’s nearfield and a 15” in the front (all sealed) and after using minidsp, feel they lack for nothing. If I need validation...everyone that has listened has been quite impressed. But in the end, it’s what sounds good to you. You have some very nice subs by anyone’s standards...although I’m sure that having a mini dsp and using measurements, and the help provided here can make it even better. And I’m 100% not bashing ported, i agree that if you have the space, and want the most output for the money, it can’t be beat. I’ve had and still have, several ported subs which I really enjoy. I repeat I’m not trying to make another ported vs sealed post lol...I just feel that both can be done properly and have outstanding results

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
It does sound good to me. I believe that things can be tweaked and improved, as I am running them as they are out of the box. Not sure if it matters or if it's pure myth, but the overwhelming majority use of the subs is 2 channel music.

Interestingly, I run the subs at -10 when listening to 2 channel music(they do disappear), but when I ran Audyssee on my 5.2, it said the sub volume was too loud. I ended up setting them at -17. I was surprised by this.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It does sound good to me. I believe that things can be tweaked and improved, as I am running them as they are out of the box. Not sure if it matters or if it's pure myth, but the overwhelming majority use of the subs is 2 channel music.

Interestingly, I run the subs at -10 when listening to 2 channel music(they do disappear), but when I ran Audyssee on my 5.2, it said the sub volume was too loud. I ended up setting them at -17. I was surprised by this.
My experience with Audyssey has been generally good, especially with the XT32 App. Aud does a good job selecting distance and level, though for most music I find the Subs are too hot.
For that specifically, I found I needed to adjust the actual Sub Gain down, manually after running Audyssey. This was a slight adjustment, but worked well to take that artificially inflated sound down to believable proportion.
In general, Audyssey should have you adjust the gain to a “sweet spot” of roughly 73dB when beginning the setup sequence. Most say this could put the Gain around 1/3 rather than 1/2 (but this will also depend on the quality of the Sub and its placement in (and therefore interaction with) the room.
For HT, I find this basic set up adequate. As I said, my opinion is that HT Bass is too hot though for a good musical balance. YMMV.
:)

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I wonder why my experience was the exact opposite.

Maybe I didn't start the calibration properly? I don't recall setting a specific volume prior to beginning. I probably just started with my normal TV watching level.

I've found multiple writings that recommend setting the sub volume to 12 o'clock, others 9 o' clock, but what does that equate to on my SVS sub? Do I simply start at 0 and go to its lowest level and just put it at the half way point?

I do have an spl meter, so I can adjust the volume to a more appropriate level and re-run Audyssey.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From general reading of Audyssey threads/comments I'd say Ryan is in the minority by quite a bit, most tweak the bass upwards a few dB after Audyssey. His room is a bit unusual tho in terms of flooring, tho and that might have something to do with it. It's all about preference in the end. You might even think about using the avr's memory features to have two separate modes for music/movies if you want different levels.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My experience with Audyssey has been generally good, especially with the XT32 App. Aud does a good job selecting distance and level, though for most music I find the Subs are too hot.
For that specifically, I found I needed to adjust the actual Sub Gain down, manually after running Audyssey. This was a slight adjustment, but worked well to take that artificially inflated sound down to believable proportion.
In general, Audyssey should have you adjust the gain to a “sweet spot” of roughly 73dB when beginning the setup sequence. Most say this could put the Gain around 1/3 rather than 1/2 (but this will also depend on the quality of the Sub and its placement in (and therefore interaction with) the room.
For HT, I find this basic set up adequate. As I said, my opinion is that HT Bass is too hot though for a good musical balance. YMMV.
:)
If you turn DEQ on it will bump your sub level for sure, but if you leave it off that is not the case. I've done plenty of measuring and can confidently state that Audyssey's goal is as close to perfectly flat as possible. The DEQ effects are what boost both upper and lower frequencies.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
From general reading of Audyssey threads/comments I'd say Ryan is in the minority by quite a bit, most tweak the bass upwards a few dB after Audyssey. His room is a bit unusual tho in terms of flooring, tho and that might have something to do with it. It's all about preference in the end. You might even think about using the avr's memory features to have two separate modes for music/movies if you want different levels.
If you turn DEQ on it will bump your sub level for sure, but if you leave it off that is not the case. I've done plenty of measuring and can confidently state that Audyssey's goal is as close to perfectly flat as possible. The DEQ effects are what boost both upper and lower frequencies.
I do not claim to be the benchmark for using Audyssey. :)
More than anything, with the introduction of our friend @9397SVTs and their headlong dive into ordering a Umik-1, I'm afraid we have a new thread headed our way! :eek: :p
Both my room and my preferences may be on one end of the spectrum.
My main point was (and could have been poorly described as) being about the normal way Audyssey works. If our friend did not adjust Sub Gain to the Green Zone in the set up phase... who knows what they are experincing? With the proper protocol we know, defined, we should all be able to speak the same language with the same meaning. ;)

That said:

@9397SVTs :
It would be helpful to us, as friends willing and ready to offer assistance and guidance, to know what your setup scenario is. Perhaps a new thread for your specific needs could be handy! ;)
Such basic information as:
Your Gear, your listening distance, your room volume (stated above, but best if included again with all other relevant info)... ANYTHING! that may help us help you, including some pics of the front wall and overall layout.

:D

Cheers!
R

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My personal settings after Audyssey:
DEQ on
Sub at -3dB for music
Sub at +7dB for HT (when I am looking for the "full" LFE experience)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My personal settings after Audyssey:
DEQ on
Sub at -3dB for music
Sub at +7dB for HT (when I am looking for the "full" LFE experience)
Here's a fun experiment, please! ;)

Listen to Evolution by Joe Lovano:

I hesitate to suggest using YouTube considering we have no baseline for audio quality there.... But just in case:

I find the bass on this cut to be (engineered) on the hot side. Without Subs, it is strong. With my subs... I can FEEL it. I would argue this should not be the case. Listen to this in 2.0/Pure Direct, and with Subs/2.1. In my room, I can literally feel the Bass in my @$$ if the subs are not properly integrated.
;)

Just curious of your guys' assessment. :D

Thanks for playing.

Hugs and kicks,
R

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I hesitate to suggest using YouTube considering we have no baseline for audio quality there.... But just in case:

I find the bass on this cut to be (engineered) on the hot side. Without Subs, it is strong. With my subs... I can FEEL it. I would argue this should not be the case. Listen to this in 2.0/Pure Direct, and with Subs/2.1. In my room, I can literally feel the Bass in my @$$ if the subs are not properly integrated.
;)

Thanks for playing.

Hugs and kicks,
R
I don't find it particularly "bassy" at all even with DEQ at -30 down to -10 (but at normal Audyssey sub trim level, not my usual bump). Using the spotify track fwiw. What's your usual source?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

;)

Thanks for playing.

Hugs and kicks,
R
I might get a chance to put my system back together this weekend and give it a listen. On any given day, I likely have my system torn apart to listen/compare speakers. It has been over a month since I've had a sub hooked up, so I appreciate your patience while I wrap up what I'm currently doing!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't find it particularly "bassy" at all even with DEQ at -30 down to -10 (but at normal Audyssey sub trim level, not my usual bump). Using the spotify track fwiw. What's your usual source?
I've listened through Apple Music, Tidal... I use the CD frequently through the BR player.

I've always felt the bass in this album to run a little hot in the mix. Not unrealistic... just stronger than other modern Jazz dating from the mid 90's. :)

Hoping to hear a few other thoughts.

@KEW : whenever you are ready to play. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've listened through Apple Music, Tidal... I use the CD frequently through the BR player.

I've always felt the bass in this album to run a little hot in the mix. Not unrealistic... just stronger than other modern Jazz dating from the mid 90's. :)

Hoping to hear a few other thoughts.

@KEW : whenever you are ready to play. ;)
I did a half-assed search on bass details for this recording...but came up with zilch. How about a Brian Bromberg example?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis