SVS vs Emotiva, 4ohm vs 8 ohm, Recevier vs Amp???

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Perhaps the title isn't completely correct as I have much on my mind and am looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas and flat out information.

Okay, to begin I am a semi noob did a ton of car audio back in the day. Currently I own an Emotiva Fusion 8100 and have it setup as a 5.1 with a set of Energy RC micro 5.1's. We've recently built our home with a not so ideal great room which is and will be the media/home theater room as well. Tile throughout the house, 12' Vaulted ceilings 22'x25' (living room, kitchen, dinning open concept room). Now that we've got that out of the way I will begin with questions and concerns:

1) I am obviously wanting to upgrade my setup coming from a small apartment but have some limitation (my wife being one of them). She hate the idea of large speaker and loud noise (but whatever)... Room is not ideal either but I would like to possibly do a 5.2.4 setup or even a 7.1. Problems here are (my mistakes) when we built the house I pre-wired for a 7.1 The actual living area is roughly 22'x11' TV being centered on a 18' wide long wall; front to back is 11'. Side surrounds are wired 8 foot high on the wall and rear surrounds wired in ceiling. ( I KNOW, I KNOW WTF WERE YOU THINKING) Look, honestly before doing the research I thought to myself I could do in wall/ceiling speakers for the surrounds and do towers and subs in the front. No after the fact I'm kicking myself for various reasons but lets face facts, wifey ain't gonna have a true 7.1 in the living room. 5.1 I MIGHT be able to swing but I've already pre-wired high. So I've been thinking 5.2.4 hear me out. Leaving my current wiring as height or atmos and rewire for side surrounds down low. Ehhh maybe IDK. Problem is the living area will never be a true correct room for what I want it to be. So can I get the effect of 7.1 with the speakers high?

2) SVS states 8 ohm speakers Emotiva state 4 ohm speaker. If I got a Denon 3700h Would that be enough to power either of those bran speakers. Denon claims 105 watt 2 channel driven but if I ran a 7.2 or a 5.2.4 I'm thinking true power would be more like 60 watts per channel and Denons manual states it'll do 4 ohms but is that too much for the onboard amp? Yes perfect world I'd buy an external amp like Emotiva's Gen3 7 channel which should fix the issue but I will need to do this build in stages. Thinking the receiver will be the first stage, then speakers then amp. My Fusion 8100 doesn't do 4k and lately has had some issues with HDMI flickering on and off. Also though I could solve the 4k issue with Emotiva's MC700 but IDK seems dated and for a bit more I think the Denon 3700 would be a better suite. Wouldn't a 4ohm speaker not sound as good as an 8 ohm as far as clarity or distortion?

Anywho I've rambled enough for today, below is a snippet of my greatroom, the red circle like things are where the speakers are prewired (basically). And the yellow highlight is the TV wall. Your input is greatly valued. I am wanting a theater like setup in a not so ideal room with not so ideal circumstances. Perhaps I should hang it up and just do a 3.2.2 if there is such a thing or just a 3.2 IDK.......

1595343489259.png

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Which speakers? If the speakers are 8ohm nominal any amp should be fine. The amps spec is just that, telling you what the lowest ohm they can drive.

I'd do the 5.2.4 personally, you'd get more "effects" from it than a 7.x

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Which speakers? If the speakers are 8ohm nominal any amp should be fine. The amps spec is just that, telling you what the lowest ohm they can drive.

I'd do the 5.2.4 personally, you'd get more "effects" from it than a 7.x
The SVS speakers are 8 ohm nominal according to their website. Emotiva shows 4 ohm.. BTW I am looking at either the SVS prime towers, Prime center and Prime elevations for surround OR Emotiva T1+ towers, C1+ center and Emotiva's Vaulta in-ceiling/wall speakers. But that seems to pose a problem too since the Vaultas are 8 ohm and all other speakers are 4 ohm. Not sure if the amp/receiver can see or distinguish the differences????

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SVS speakers are 8 ohm nominal according to their website. Emotiva shows 4 ohm.. BTW I am looking at either the SVS prime towers, Prime center and Prime elevations for surround OR Emotiva T1+ towers, C1+ center and Emotiva's Vaulta in-ceiling/wall speakers. But that seems to pose a problem too since the Vaultas are 8 ohm and all other speakers are 4 ohm. Not sure if the amp/receiver can see or distinguish the differences????
I think it's worth the extra for the Prime Pinnacles for your main speakers.

I don't think impedance ratings are as impactful with home audio as far as doubling down goes unless you're diy'ing your subs. Lower impedance speakers just basically means harder to drive for an amplifier.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I think it's worth the extra for the Prime Pinnacles for your main speakers.

I don't think impedance ratings are as impactful with home audio as far as doubling down goes unless you're diy'ing your subs. Lower impedance speakers just basically means harder to drive for an amplifier.
So ohm rating for the most part means nothing, Denon can handle either 4 or 8 so I'm good either way?

What's your thought on the Emotiva line of speakers?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So ohm rating for the most part means nothing, Denon can handle either 4 or 8 so I'm good either way?

A mid tier Denon should be able to handle 4 ohm speakers if it's rated for it tho it would probably run a little cooler with 8 ohm speakers.

I haven't heard the Emotiva line, but am very familiar with SVS' Ultra series and I really love them. I have the Ultra towers. I think the Pinnacles would probably give you the same performance, minus the lower bass extension. If you're using a sub then that's a non issue.

I just recently upgraded my speakers and am planning to sell the Ultra towers, if not the whole 5.1 Ultra set...

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
A mid tier Denon should be able to handle 4 ohm speakers if it's rated for it tho it would probably run a little cooler with 8 ohm speakers.

I haven't heard the Emotiva line, but am very familiar with SVS' Ultra series and I really love them. I have the Ultra towers. I think the Pinnacles would probably give you the same performance, minus the lower bass extension. If you're using a sub then that's a non issue.

I just recently upgraded my speakers and am planning to sell the Ultra towers, if not the whole 5.1 Ultra set...
Nice, so why are you getting rid of your ultra setup?? What did you upgrade to?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Yes and no. The real issue is speakers vary throughout their frequencies. I've seen speakers that are rated at 8ohms but dip below 4ohms, I trust SVS and emotiva to have accurate listings.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice, so why are you getting rid of your ultra setup?? What did you upgrade to?
I found a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers on Craigslist with ribbon tweeters for $650. Those retail for $1,500 new, and they were like new so I jumped on them. RAAL ribbon tweeters are pretty special and it took something like that for me to even consider the upgrade. I ended up ordering a pair of matching Towers so I can hit the SPL I like and fill my big room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes and no. The real issue is speakers vary throughout their frequencies. I've seen speakers that are rated at 8ohms but dip below 4ohms, I trust SVS and emotiva to have accurate listings.
I know that one small ding Gene found with the Ultra speakers was that they do dip below 8 ohms enough to be considered true 6 ohm speakers. He measured higher sensitivity than they publish though and speculated they did so in lieu of rating them 6 ohms. Likely a marketing decision. Still though, 6 ohms and not too difficult.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The SVS Tower speakers are not 8 ohms speakers as advertised by the manufacturer. Their impedance is below 4 ohms at 200 Hz and even dips down to 2.7 ohms around 100 Hz. So these speakers are rather hard to drive and need power amplifiers with a solid power supply. No AVR will be able to drive them adequately and you would need to complement the receiver with external amps to drive at least the three front channels.
Emotiva claim that their speakers have 4 ohm impedance but I haven't found a review confirming what they say. In any case, external amplification would be required with either the SVS or the Emotiva units. Some members have reported a poor after sales service with Emotiva, and I would suggest that you rather go for the Monolith or Outlaw Monoblocks which are both excellent affordable products.

I would personally favor the SVS but there are surely other brand speakers on the market in your planned budget, You have to keep in mind that the greater percentage of a budget on a HT system should be spent on the speakers which represent the weakest link in the whole components.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The SVS Tower speakers are not 8 ohms speakers as advertised by the manufacturer. Their impedance is below 4 ohms at 200 Hz and even dips down to 2.7 ohms around 100 Hz. So these speakers are rather hard to drive and need power amplifiers with a solid power supply. No AVR will be able to drive them adequately and you would need to complement the receiver with external amps to drive at least the three front channels.
Emotiva claim that their speakers have 4 ohm impedance but I haven't found a review confirming what they say. In any case, external amplification would be required with either the SVS or the Emotiva units. Some members have reported a poor after sales service with Emotiva, and I would suggest that you rather go for the Monolith or Outlaw Monoblocks which are both excellent affordable products.

I would personally favor the SVS but there are surely other brand speakers on the market in your planned budget, You have to keep in mind that the greater percentage of a budget on a HT system should be spent on the speakers which represent the weakest link in the whole components.
Like I said above, I'm pretty sure gene said he would consider them 6 ohm speakers. They have better sensitivity than what is published and he speculated from a marketing standpoint 8 ohms looks better than 6, but better than published sensitivity would make up for it? I it be wrong, it's been a while since I watched the videos.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Like I said above, I'm pretty sure gene said he would consider them 6 ohm speakers. They have better sensitivity than what is published and he speculated from a marketing standpoint 8 ohms looks better than 6, but better than published sensitivity would make up for it? I it be wrong, it's been a while since I watched the videos.

We are not discussing the same speakers. I was commenting on the SVS Prime Towers. I would consider these as 3 ohm speakers.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think would take $1500 for the towers. $2500 for the 5.0 set. Includes the Ultra towers and 3 Ultra bookshelf speakers. All in excellent condition.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We are not discussing the same speakers. I was commenting on the SVS Towers. These are 4 ohm speakers.
Which ones? SVS has 3 different towers now.

That said, I do think I got my wires crossed and was thinking about the books.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I was referring to the Prime Towers. I've just added the link to the Home Theater Review article at post #11.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Haven't you had the Prime Towers in your system before you decided to replace them with the Ascends?

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Thanks everyone for all your inputs. Would you guys mind advising on other brands to look at within my price range for all speakers not including subs? Thinking a 5.2.4 setup for $2000 TOPS for all speakers not including subs. That Emotiva setup would be around $1300 not including subs. I'm looking for clarity and SPL, I like to feel what I'm listing to.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
SVS - Emotiva.

Wouldn't a 4ohm speaker not sound as good as an 8 ohm as far as clarity or distortion?
My vote is for the SVS's

And Ohms have nothing to do with Sound Quality. Cabinet Design, Drivers have more impact on Sound Quality

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis