Looking for some mastering and production work

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe it doesn't translate precisely, so let me explain.

In Croatia there's a dire need of good production work in music. You can't find any producers that are imaginative and can really give a final touch to an idea.

I know a lot of you here are professionals in this kind of work, if there's anyone interested in giving a couple of minutes to one of my brother's songs, please let me know. Most of it is already layed down but it needs someone who sees how to make it sound good...

TIA
killdozzer

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Maybe it doesn't translate precisely, so let me explain.

In Croatia there's a dire need of good production work in music. You can't find any producers that are imaginative and can really give a final touch to an idea.

I know a lot of you here are professionals in this kind of work, if there's anyone interested in giving a couple of minutes to one of my brother's songs, please let me know. Most of it is already layed down but it needs someone who sees how to make it sound good...

TIA
killdozzer
Well what format is it in and how many channels? What instruments? How would you send it over the Net? What format and on what do want the final edit to be in?

I have a DAW with pro software and a pro mixer/DAC.

I need to have details before I could agree to produce this for you.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you very much, Mark, for showing interest! Sure, I knew I'd have to provide more info, but first I wanted to see if anyone's interested at all.

This is a common band set; guitar, bass and drums with vocals. It has approx. 20 channels (with all the background instruments, vocals and sounds). It is .wav done in Cubase.

It is copyright so I would have no problems using free file transfer service like wetransfer.

My brother plays all his life, has one album released from his early years, has few songs beside that which play on the radio, but he was never quite satisfied with the work of the studio. We are hoping to get a fresh pair of ears and a different approach. Western mastering was always a holy grail to us. (If anyone of you is looking for an easy retirement, come here and produce music)

This is not your style of music, I got that by now, but if you can take a look and see if you can make sound as it should for recording and playing it on the radio or an album.

My brother realizes his vocals are somewhat limited and he is seriously reaching his limits while singing this song, but he is singing it not because of ego or being attached to his work, but because he got rejected by a dozen of vocals who could perform this.

I don't know have you ever used wetransfer, but you would have to send me (in PM) your email address and an automatic email will let you know when the files are ready for downloading.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you very much, Mark, for showing interest! Sure, I knew I'd have to provide more info, but first I wanted to see if anyone's interested at all.

This is a common band set; guitar, bass and drums with vocals. It has approx. 20 channels (with all the background instruments, vocals and sounds). It is .wav done in Cubase.

It is copyright so I would have no problems using free file transfer service like wetransfer.

My brother plays all his life, has one album released from his early years, has few songs beside that which play on the radio, but he was never quite satisfied with the work of the studio. We are hoping to get a fresh pair of ears and a different approach. Western mastering was always a holy grail to us. (If anyone of you is looking for an easy retirement, come here and produce music)

This is not your style of music, I got that by now, but if you can take a look and see if you can make sound as it should for recording and playing it on the radio or an album.

My brother realizes his vocals are somewhat limited and he is seriously reaching his limits while singing this song, but he is singing it not because of ego or being attached to his work, but because he got rejected by a dozen of vocals who could perform this.

I don't know have you ever used wetransfer, but you would have to send me (in PM) your email address and an automatic email will let you know when the files are ready for downloading.
Well, normally a mastering engineer receives the mix down and prepares the final version of the production for distribution.

So the mix down should be done in the recording studio with the musicians present. Since I am not familiar with this type of music, I would be loath to do the two channel mix.

I have had engineers work here and master, but we have not done a mix down here.

I doubt I would produce what the musicians want if I do the 20 channel mix down to 2.

I have WaveLab 9 pro. It will interface with Cubase 8.5.1 or later. So if those 20 tracks were sent in Cubase. 8.5.1 or later I suppose it could be mixed down here. I'm not keen on that idea.

I do have a good friend who is a professional mix engineer, and has worked on my rig quite a bit. He has mixed quite a few platinum albums.

At the current time he is holed up on Kabekona Lake and I'm now here in Eagan. Both of us are trying to avoid Covid -19. So there are no visitors here.

Do you have a two channel mix down of those 20 channels you could send me as a Wav. file? That would be helpful to know what I am dealing with.

This does sound like a major project. I was hoping this might have been a traditional Bohemian wind band, but I guess it is not. I have recorded for them in years past with good results.

One other thing you should know is that since I work almost always with natural instrument, I do not have any effects plugins.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you once again! You do seem to have a firm grasp of what it's about.

I do have a mix down and this is precisely what I need:
"Well, normally a mastering engineer receives the mix down and prepares the final version of the production for distribution. "

It's just that since you've asked about the number of the channels, I thought you needed to know for one reason or another, but it is a 2ch stereo mix down.

This is a recorded song with a basic rock set up, I guess you could do it with a blindfold. Musicians work is done here as far as he is concerned.

If you're up for it, I can send it to you.

Needless to say if you ever decide to take a summer vacation in Croatian Mediterranean, you're covered for accommodation! ;)

If you have an email you don't mind giving to me in the PM, please do so and I'll send you the song.

I must say, expecting you'll apply the same rigor to any sound material, I'm a bit anxious to see what will come of this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you once again! You do seem to have a firm grasp of what it's about.

I do have a mix down and this is precisely what I need:
"Well, normally a mastering engineer receives the mix down and prepares the final version of the production for distribution. "

It's just that since you've asked about the number of the channels, I thought you needed to know for one reason or another, but it is a 2ch stereo mix down.

This is a recorded song with a basic rock set up, I guess you could do it with a blindfold. Musicians work is done here as far as he is concerned.

If you're up for it, I can send it to you.

Needless to say if you ever decide to take a summer vacation in Croatian Mediterranean, you're covered for accommodation! ;)

If you have an email you don't mind giving to me in the PM, please do so and I'll send you the song.

I must say, expecting you'll apply the same rigor to any sound material, I'm a bit anxious to see what will come of this.
In that case I think I can help you. I still need clear instructions. Most importantly what do you want it mastered to? In other words do want Red Book CD or some other format, or resolution?

How much compression to you want. Do you want Eq added or are you happy with the way it sounds? If you can give me these details I will PM you.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Eq is, in fact, top priority. I'd think it's a safe bet you would recognize the problem as soon as you heard the song. Some smoothing, some evening out will be required. You don't have to promise anything, just have a listen, I think you'll see right away what we need.

RedBook is perfect and just as much compression needed (if any) for this format.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Eq is, in fact, top priority. I'd think it's a safe bet you would recognize the problem as soon as you heard the song. Some smoothing, some evening out will be required. You don't have to promise anything, just have a listen, I think you'll see right away what we need.

RedBook is perfect and just as much compression needed (if any) for this format.
I will take at look at the recording for you. PM has been sent.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It's only fair to say... I'm speechless. This is far beyond my expectations. What Mark did with this song, it's just beautiful... Where have all the harshness gone. Simply amazing. I promise I'll share but not until some radio stations get it bc some of them mind if it appeared on social network before them.

Hat down and a deep bow!!!!
kd

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It's only fair to say... I'm speechless. This is far beyond my expectations. What Mark did with this song, it's just beautiful... Where have all the harshness gone. Simply amazing. I promise I'll share but not until some radio stations get it bc some of them mind if it appeared on social network before them.

Hat down and a deep bow!!!!
kd
I'm glad you like the result. It is always a bit nerve racking to do a job like this when the artist is not at hand. So I had to make a guess as to how you wanted it to sound. I'm just relived you are happy with the result. I doubt bow and scrape is required though!

Also with this Covid 19 I'm rusty, as no one is coming here to master right now. People used to do the 420 mile round trip to Benedict to master in the room there.
After moving to Eagan I was afraid I would get a lot more requests. The Covid 19 hit almost as soon as I had everything calibrated.

These mastering software programs take some learning. None of them are intuitive and the manuals leave a pot to be desired. However I keep getting told that WaveLab is easier to get the hang of than ProTools. So I never want to see that one!

When you are ready you can put up the last version I sent you here, and link it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d be interested in hearing both versions if possible.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@GO-NAD! @William Lemmerhirt here, it can be heard now, this is Mark's version which I really like:

But we had to put the counting intro back in and then the guys added some additional decor:

Hope some of you will like it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@killdozzer
I finally got a chance to check this out. Sounds really good. I’d say Mark still has the touch. Any chance you have the original? Then we can grade his work. Lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis