Looking for new outdoor speakers

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Looking to replace my Jamo outdoor speakers that came with the house. These will be used on a 14 x 25’ covered patio. Fairly flexible on budget but I want to spend smartly and not chase a brand if the outdoor environment means you won’t be able to tell the difference anyway.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Lots of options depending on what type you need.

Same with budget.

More info if possible?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
KEF Ventura 5 or Ventura 6! :)

Ventura 6 pair

They seem to be one of the few to give ALL the specs, and you can trust the numbers.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking to replace my Jamo outdoor speakers that came with the house. These will be used on a 14 x 25’ covered patio. Fairly flexible on budget but I want to spend smartly and not chase a brand if the outdoor environment means you won’t be able to tell the difference anyway.
What's wrong with the Jamo speakers?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
What's wrong with the Jamo speakers?
Good question - and maybe nothing other than upgrade-itis on my part. We are just spending a lot more time outside than we ever did before due to Covid so I want to get the best outdoor sound possible. If I’m only going to get negligible improvement from a speaker upgrade, I’ll leave it alone, but wanted to get some thoughts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you know what model Jamo speakers you have now? Is this for background music, outdoor dance parties at high volume or somewhere in between? I've been really happy with my Dayton IO655s but I lean more towards the background music, altho I might turn it up a bit if I'm working out in the yard.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The KEF Ventura speakers I recommended are exceptional in clarity, detail, and off-axis dispersion. Their authorized dealers can discount them, KEFDirect.com cannot undercut their distributors. I've heard them and the larger Ventura 6 has deceptively good bass output.

I looked at the websites of others, most don't show pricing, nor specs. KEF gives you that plus downloads of the manual and installation guide.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Do you know what model Jamo speakers you have now? Is this for background music, outdoor dance parties at high volume or somewhere in between? I've been really happy with my Dayton IO655s but I lean more towards the background music, altho I might turn it up a bit if I'm working out in the yard.
I've got a pair of those Dayton's on our 25 x 12 deck and they work quite well. I wouldn't use them for any sort of critical listening, but they sound quite good for a pair of $100 speakers that can brave the elements. If I have them at -22 dB or so on the receiver it becomes difficult to hear my wife if she's out there with me.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Sorry for the late reply. I have the Jamo 3A2’s now. Usage is both background while my wife and I are having a cocktail as well as small party entertainment but also will use while I’m doing yard work

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry for the late reply. I have the Jamo 3A2’s now. Usage is both background while my wife and I are having a cocktail as well as small party entertainment but also will use while I’m doing yard work
What do you feel are the shortcomings of the current speakers for this use?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
What do you feel are the shortcomings of the current speakers for this use?
i don’t honestly know because I don’t know what to compare them to. The ones I have today basically came with the house 14 years ago, so I’ve never really shopped outdoor speakers so not sure what I may (or may not) be missing out on. Obv outdoor is totally different than anywhere else because you aren’t in a controlled environment, so maybe better speakers wouldn’t bring much audible improvement, but we are spending a lot more time outdoors these days so I’d like the best quality sound I can get. If you think there’s nothing to be gained by upgrading speakers, that’s good to know as well, thx.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i don’t honestly know because I don’t know what to compare them to. The ones I have today basically came with the house 14 years ago, so I’ve never really shopped outdoor speakers so not sure what I may (or may not) be missing out on. Obv outdoor is totally different than anywhere else because you aren’t in a controlled environment, so maybe better speakers wouldn’t bring much audible improvement, but we are spending a lot more time outdoors these days so I’d like the best quality sound I can get. If you think there’s nothing to be gained by upgrading speakers, that’s good to know as well, thx.
That old....what condition are the surrounds and cones in? Cabinet? If they sound decent at the volumes you listen at, they're likely fine.

Do they get as loud as you like? You might benefit from larger drivers, get a bit more low end. What amp drives them? How much would you want to spend?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
That old....what condition are the surrounds and cones in? Cabinet? If they sound decent at the volumes you listen at, they're likely fine.

Do they get as loud as you like? You might benefit from larger drivers, get a bit more low end. What amp drives them? How much would you want to spend?
Cabinet is fine, grills a little weathered. They are driven by a Speakercraft BB35 distributed amp. Probably open to spending up to $1k for a pair as long as the upgrade is worthwhile.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic

Have you listened to those Sonance speakers? I don’t really get the Sonos connection there other then marketing as they’re just passive speakers

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Have you listened to those Sonance speakers? I don’t really get the Sonos connection there other then marketing as they’re just passive speakers
I haven't heard Sonance speakers in a long time. In-Ceilings, not Outdoor speakers.

My buddy runs his whole house on Sonos. Im not a fan for Home Theater, but they do a nice job outside with his Pool/Outdoor Kitchen area

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis