Sub advice around $1k

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The vtf 3 and 15 use the same driver and amp, the cabinet size and tuning are different, as are the ports. The vtf 15 will have slightly lower extension than the 3.

I may be wrong and will gladly accept the correction: I think performance wise, the two Hsu subs are most similar to the SVS 4000 series, not the 2000s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some Best Buys carry SVS, which ones they may have available or how well setup for a demo, hard to know. Altho "listening" to a sub in a showroom isn't much use, IMO. SVS also offers free round trip shipping for the best place to demo a sub/speaker, in your room. Some of the others do accept returns after in home demo, but freight may be on your nickel for one or both ways.

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
The vtf 3 and 15 use the same driver and amp, the cabinet size and tuning are different, as are the ports. The vtf 15 will have slightly lower extension than the 3.

I may be wrong and will gladly accept the correction: I think performance wise, the two Hsu subs are most similar to the SVS 4000 series, not the 2000s.
Thanks.that’s a way bigger difference in price when comparing the two models. Now I just googled lower extension. :). I think I’ll go with the HSUs. I thought a AVR was going to be 2,500. I’m going to end up with 2 subs and an AVR for $2,700 so I guess it’s a win. My wife’s going to kill me.

I’ll give you guys a laugh. Wife and I are discussing how to make the speaker box look better. We are consider buying would flooring to cover the box so it matches the furniture. Potentially also looking at wood adhesive paper. So ya I might spend $2k and immediately glue paper to it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks.that’s a way bigger difference in price when comparing the two models. Now I just googled lower extension. :). I think I’ll go with the HSUs. I thought a AVR was going to be 2,500. I’m going to end up with 2 subs and an AVR for $2,700 so I guess it’s a win. My wife’s going to kill me.

I’ll give you guys a laugh. Wife and I are discussing how to make the speaker box look better. We are consider buying would flooring to cover the box so it matches the furniture. Potentially also looking at wood adhesive paper. So ya I might spend $2k and immediately glue paper to it.
Rather than paper look into veneering? Wood flooring not so much.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The best way to do things, once you already have a system, is planned incremental upgrades. Look at what you want your system to do, write out the goals you have for it, then figure out how to implement. ;)
Unless there is something truly strange about your situation, if you want surrounds, it’s possible. Same with atmos.
If there is a spousal thing, engage with her over it. Get her involved. :)

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
The best way to do things, once you already have a system, is planned incremental upgrades. Look at what you want your system to do, write out the goals you have for it, then figure out how to implement. ;)
Unless there is something truly strange about your situation, if you want surrounds, it’s possible. Same with atmos.
I have been told that moving to 7 channels will be problematic. Same with adding overheads. The ceiliengs are 18ft and people are telling me that Atmos will not work at 18ft and drop polls are not something I would do. Channel 6 on the left would work just fine as an in wall. However, channel 7 would be on an exterior wall and in wall wouldn't be an option. Additionally speaker run is going to be problematic on the exterior wall. I could mount the speakers on the sides but it would be a central view point above a door and my wife just won't budge on hanging a speaker there. She has serious issues with the looks of the rears. By the way they look completely fine and no one notices them.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

You can get the Hsu VTF-15H in Rosewood veneer. No need to try and do it yourself...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This works for me. She loves country music, which I can't stand but we spend lots of time listening to it. A small price to pay for glorious sound... but yeah, that's how I get her involved. Sit her in the sweet spot, take requests, point out little nuances in the sound. Before she knows it she's bit by the bug too!

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
You can get the Hsu VTF-15H in Rosewood veneer. No need to try and do it yourself...
I know but the red wood isn't going to look great either. These things are big we will see how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
So with the size of these beast I think we're are going to have to point the speaks in towards the sides of the TV rather than out towards the listener. Not ideal but will it be okay. The depth is going to petrude into the living space more than we would like. They are 28 deep and 18 wide so it would save ten inches to have the depth against the wall

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
So I am thick. Are B&Ws great mains or I just think they are because they are B&W.
Check out audioscienceresearch.com for objective testing of speakers. Harmon has a superb facility and tests their speakers in blind tests against the competition. They have some very pricey but others that are affordable and excellent. For me Revel would be a much better choice than B&W.

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
So I first order two PC-2000s because I thought my wife would think they looked better.. she didn't so I order 2 HSU MK-5s and now I have 4 subs in my living room and it sounds amazing! I'm thinking 4 HSUs is definitely worth a divorce.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So I first order two PC-2000s because I thought my wife would think they looked better.. she didn't so I order 2 HSU MK-5s and now I have 4 subs in my living room and it sounds amazing! I'm thinking 4 HSUs is definitely worth a divorce.
Spoken like a true Audioholic!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

So uh, I'm a little jelly! Lol. I want a pair of PC2000s now!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis