need advise on my first 2.1 system

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
I have a 42" LG monitor which has speaker built in but its anything but impressive...I have headphone Sony and Topping DAC/AMP ... but I need something better when I dont use headphones and also cant spend much on it ...I want to get the Logitech Z623 first then I thought lets put some fun in it so so I have Micca MB42X Bookshelf and Lepy LP-2020A and I need a sub...as the shipment from US is very expensive I tried to look for something available here and I found Paradigm Defiance V8... I will use my custom build PC as source ...what do you think of this set ups ? I hope to get at least something better than Logitech Z623...

Thanks Mason

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Paradigm has a reputation for making good subwoofers, so if you can get one go for it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Paradigm has a reputation for making good subwoofers, so if you can get one go for it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks Wayne
I assume the Paradigm Defiance V8 is powered as my Lepy LP-2020A doesn't have the sub outlet ?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, the Paradigm has its own amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
but I need something better when I dont use headphones and also cant spend much on it ...

Thanks Mason
I don't know what your Budget is. Parts Express ships International

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Yes, the Paradigm has its own amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks again...actually I checked and I should get PARADIGM: PDR-80 a bit more than half I have to pay for Paradigm Defiance V8 ...not sure if Paradigm Defiance V8 is twice better than PARADIGM: PDR-80?

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
I don't know what your Budget is. Parts Express ships International

Thanks , the main issue I have is postage cost and time are huge to ship to Sydney Australia

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again...actually I checked and I should get PARADIGM: PDR-80 a bit more than half I have to pay for Paradigm Defiance V8 ...not sure if Paradigm Defiance V8 is twice better than PARADIGM: PDR-80?
With the type of integrated amp you propose using I don't see a way you can hook up the amp to either sub as neither sub has high level inputs (i.e. speaker level). Or does your custom built pc have a way to provide a sub output as well as line outputs for your amp?

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
With the type of integrated amp you propose using I don't see a way you can hook up the amp to either sub as neither sub has high level inputs (i.e. speaker level). Or does your custom built pc have a way to provide a sub output as well as line outputs for your amp?
Thanks for the reply
I assumed the sub has input and outputs ? I wanted to go from amp to sub and then from sub to speakers ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply
I assumed the sub has input and outputs ? I wanted to go from amp to sub and then from sub to speakers ?
First when I saw a pic of the V8 I didn't see typical speaker level inputs but I saw something else indicating it did have them, and now looking in the manual it accepts banana plugs for the speaker level inputs rather than the typical clip type inputs. FWIW the PDR 80 does not have any speaker level inputs or outputs, altho you could conceivably split your L/R line signal out of the pc (assuming you're using a 2ch analog output rather than a pc with multich outputs including a sub) to both the integrated amp and the sub.

Typical active subs do not power speakers like a Logitech system or other computer type active systems if that's what you were thinking. Although with the speaker level inputs on the V8 you could string the speaker wire first to the sub and then split it off to the speakers from there (the sub just takes the signal, the amp still powers your speakers). You can review the diagrams in the V series manual here https://www.paradigm.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=86&display=inline

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
First when I saw a pic of the V8 I didn't see typical speaker level inputs but I saw something else indicating it did have them, and now looking in the manual it accepts banana plugs for the speaker level inputs rather than the typical clip type inputs. FWIW the PDR 80 does not have any speaker level inputs or outputs, altho you could conceivably split your L/R line signal out of the pc (assuming you're using a 2ch analog output rather than a pc with multich outputs including a sub) to both the integrated amp and the sub.

Typical active subs do not power speakers like a Logitech system or other computer type active systems if that's what you were thinking. Although with the speaker level inputs on the V8 you could string the speaker wire first to the sub and then split it off to the speakers from there (the sub just takes the signal, the amp still powers your speakers). You can review the diagrams in the V series manual here https://www.paradigm.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=86&display=inline
Thanks again, actually I checked my motherboard Audio and as below there is L-in L-Out CS- outr Rs- Out and S/PDIF... Iit seems it support 7.1...not sure if it has sub out or even how should I connect my amp to them as this is my first system ...please see the picture
UntitledEE.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks again, actually I checked my motherboard Audio and as below there is L-in L-Out CS- outr Rs- Out and S/PDIF... Iit seems it support 7.1...not sure if it has sub out or even how should I connect my amp to them as this is my first system ...please see the picture
View attachment 37838
It has a subwoofer output, the jack labeled "CS-OUT" is both the center speaker out and the subwoofer out. Here is the diagram for that audio output configuration:
MSI audio diagram.jpg

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
It has a subwoofer output, the jack labeled "CS-OUT" is both the center speaker out and the subwoofer out. Here is the diagram for that audio output configuration:
View attachment 37839
Thanks again
the table is a bit confusing to follow , the CS- OUT should go to Sub ...but which ones will go to amp ? I have 2 amp SMSL Audio SA-36A and also Lepy LP-2020A and both have RCA Input, my guess is I need to use the Line-out for it?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks again
the table is a bit confusing to follow , the CS- OUT should go to Sub ...but which ones will go to amp ? I have 2 amp SMSL Audio SA-36A and also Lepy LP-2020A and both have RCA Input, my guess is I need to use the Line-out for it?

The "Line-Out/Front Speaker Out" jack should be used to go to the amp for your front left and right speakers.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for the info...I also have DAC/AMP for my Sony headphone ( Topping DX7s) , I belive I can use it as DAC ...is it a good idea to use that in between my PC and the speakers Amp ? as this ( DX7s) has already hooked up to my computer ( using usb - also optical is possible) ... info about the DX7s:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems your pc is better suited for bass management, so I'd start with that myself.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Seems your pc is better suited for bass management, so I'd start with that myself.
Thanks , but can I still use the Sub out from my sound card while using my DAC ( Topping) to source my speakers amplifier ( if I want to do that )

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks , but can I still use the Sub out from my sound card while using my DAC ( Topping) to source my speakers amplifier ( if I want to do that )
No, you'd be using the dac in the pc to use for both the amp and sub or the external dac, not a combo...having the pc handle the dac for the sub and the external dac separately for L/R just won't work. If you did want to use a digital out from pc to your external dac you could split the outputs between amp and sub, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis