Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello Hobbit,

The reason why I am looking for a second phone service is voice quality and as a backup to my cell phone. I was in BestBuy the other day and saw the Ooma device and it got me thinking. The only thing is I would want to make sure that all of my devices (cable modem, router, Ooma device) were plugged into a battery backup in case of losing power.
I've been using Panasonic cordless phones for over 10 years. I can assure you that their sound quality is excellent, and I think they are still the best on the market at present. You can get some bases for several handsets, mine came with two. They use rechargeable AAA Ni-MH batteries.

As for the Ooma brand, I couldn't tell as I never tried them. I believe this brand has not been selling in the greater Montreal area for a long period of time.

When there is a power outage, they don't operate. I plug the main base into my desk computer's APC Back-UPS.

Last edited:
cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I use land line 99% of the time. I do not get/make very many calls. I have a cell phone I used a lot for work, but since I retired, I take it when I leave the house, in case I want or need to make a call. otherwise it is off 99.9% of the time. I turn the battery over, it is OFF!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
cornermuse, for your landline, do you use a traditional phone company like CenturyLink or Frontier?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"If you’re looking for a good old-fashioned landline–complete with a dial tone and all–you’ll be hard-pressed to find one these days. Plain old telephone service (POTS) is quickly becoming obsolete. In fact, AT&T has decided to eliminate landlines altogether, switching all of their customers to internet phone service."

"One of the few companies still offering traditional landline services, CenturyLink is available in 40 states. You’ll get unlimited nationwide calling with your home phone plan, as well as basic features like caller ID, voicemail, call forwarding, call waiting, and more."

"The price tag can be a bit more prohibitive than VoIP services. You’ll pay $60 /month for CenturyLink’s home phone service, plus applicable fees and taxes."

"Of course, you can choose your own phone hardware, and you’ll have the security of a non-internet/non-cell based phone line. If the power goes out or the cell towers go down, you’re likely to still have communication. This is beneficial for emergency calls, too, as 911 will be able to pinpoint your exact location with a landline."

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The telco companies will be getting out of the copper last mile business and focus on fiber. As that happens, they will raise the prices on POTs lines until its unaffordable. (Assuming FCC doesn’t block this).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... (just enough juice on the telephone lines that kept working). ...
It has about 50V DC on the phone line all the time. Not sure where that comes from. 20Hz AC 90V for ring tone.
Talking is modulated voltage.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I would consider a real landline with a phone company, but before I disconnected it a few years ago, they raised the monthly charge to over $45.00 a month and that's without the taxes. I quickly got rid of it.
Phone companies are trying to get rid of wired landlines, too expensive to maintain.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The telco companies will be getting out of the copper last mile business and focus on fiber. As that happens, they will raise the prices on POTs lines until its unaffordable. (Assuming FCC doesn’t block this).
I've had fiber optic service for 12 years now.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Do you like the fiber optic service?
very much so, prior to 2008 I was with Comcast and standard cable(underground) with nothing but continual problems. In the 12 years with FIOS (Verizon) I have not had one single issue.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
very much so, prior to 2008 I was with Comcast and standard cable(underground) with nothing but continual problems. In the 12 years with FIOS (Verizon) I have not had one single issue.
Even though I hate the "modem" that ATT makes me keep, their fiber service is excellent. 4 years without issue and 1gbps and I'm very happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It has about 50V DC on the phone line all the time. Not sure where that comes from. 20Hz AC 90V for ring tone.
Talking is modulated voltage.
I remember at the time of that earthquake that hearing the phone ringing was faint/nonexistent but otherwise worked fine once you had someone on the line. My mom had been watching the news coverage of the fires in one particular district (that I didn't even live close to) and I remember just happening to pickup the phone handset to see if there was a dial tone and there was mom trying to get a hold of me and it was good to tell her we were just in the dark, no fires/problems in our neighborhood :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Even though I hate the "modem" that ATT makes me keep, their fiber service is excellent. 4 years without issue and 1gbps and I'm very happy.
1gig? both direction? How much?
But, if you have a power failure at your house, that goes down, right? Or, they have an UPS there? If so, how long on the operation?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
1gig? both direction? How much?
But, if you have a power failure at your house, that goes down, right? Or, they have an UPS there? If so, how long on the operation?
I have a few UPS on things so that's not much of an issue. I've got something like 20min or so for the one the "modem" is connected to, but the server that runs my home automation and security is connected to it too.

Price is $73/mo after taxes. Yes, 1 gig both ways.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have a few UPS on things so that's not much of an issue. I've got something like 20min or so for the one the "modem" is connected to, but the server that runs my home automation and security is connected to it too.

Price is $73/mo after taxes. Yes, 1 gig both ways.
Wow, that is inexpensive. Wish it was in my area to compete with Comcast.
Lucky I have Tesla backup batteries, 27kWh. Runs the house well if not abused with demand. :D
Can you actually clock that speed?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Wow, that is inexpensive. Wish it was in my area to compete with Comcast.
Lucky I have Tesla backup batteries, 27kWh. Runs the house well if not abused with demand. :D
Can you actually clock that speed?
Pretty much. I'm using bandwidth with YouTube TV and the conference call I'm on as I type this. I was VERY happy when I found out the new house would have this when we moved in.

2020-07-02 14_25_05-LibreSpeed.png

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

^Me too. Jealous. Can hardly wait to have a competitor in the neighborhood.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis