Help beat the HSU VTF-15 Mk2! (but must have a satin or gloss black finish)

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
What about Power Sound Audio? It has some kind of black sand textured finish, which might pass the standards, as well as be super durable.
I would check out the TV1812 it's right under $2k shipped. The finish is extremely durable It reminds me of a truck bed spray-on liner but more fine & not as coarse.

Check out the PSA thread for real room measurements.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Outlaw looks pretty nice. I like the glass top.

One consideration I just realized, is that one of my cats is likely going to be jumping on top of these all the time, since these would be a wide flat surface pretty low to the ground. It's going to be hard to make him never do it, especially if I am not around. I don't want a finish that is going to be easily smudged by cat prints, or scarred by a potential claw.

I have a glass TV stand next to where the subs would sit, and he sits on there periodically for no reason.

The HSU VTF sub claims to come in a nice satin black finish.
The Rythmik offers a piano black finish right on their website, for a little more money. It's several hundred more dollars, and I'm questioning whether the price is justified.

Monolith 15 might be an option, except I fear the wood veneer is going to look bad. I mainly dislike the fake black wood veneer, that is common on low priced speakers and subs.

1. What about Power Sound Audio? It has some kind of black sand textured finish, which might pass the standards, as well as be super durable.
  2. Do they look good?
  3. Aside from looks... how would performance compare to the HSU, or Rythmik?
  4. Do you have a link to measurements on these?
I would say place something on top of the sub, like a end table cloth or something, to protect the finish of the subs.

The fake black wood veneer isn't the best looking, but it is more durable than true satin black. That textured sand black finish is very durable, however, it does make the sub look 'plasticky', in my opinion. There are different grades of 'fine-ness' of that texture though, and the finer ones don't look bad.

As for power sound audio, they haven't had any of their subs tested in years, and I doubt they ever will again. I am guessing they will have a lot of mid-bass output but not as much deep bass output relative to these other subs. The thing is these other subs already have lots of midbass output, and deep bass is where the going gets tough for subwoofers, so I don't think that is all that useful of a trade-off. Disclaimer: I am not a fan of power sound audio.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
IMO yes, the FV15HP would blow away the VTF15H-MK2 you can check the HSU owner's thread for real in room measurements and check out the Rythmik onwers page for real in room measurements
Check out the PSA thread for real room measurements.
In-room measurements are not useful for understanding a subwoofer's performance.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I would say place something on top of the sub, like a end table cloth or something, to protect the finish of the subs.

The fake black wood veneer isn't the best looking, but it is more durable than true satin black. That textured sand black finish is very durable, however, it does make the sub look 'plasticky', in my opinion. There are different grades of 'fine-ness' of that texture though, and the finer ones don't look bad.

As for power sound audio, they haven't had any of their subs tested in years, and I doubt they ever will again. I am guessing they will have a lot of mid-bass output but not as much deep bass output relative to these other subs. The thing is these other subs already have lots of midbass output, and deep bass is where the going gets tough for subwoofers, so I don't think that is all that useful of a trade-off. Disclaimer: I am not a fan of power sound audio.
Ok thanks.

How would a single JTR 2400 captivator compare to 2 of the Rythmiks FV15s? The price would be comparable, including shipping and everything.

As far as the JTR finish, have you seen how it looks in person? It seems kind of like that sandy truck bed type of finish, but I don't know. They do have a furniture grade one available.

The main difference there would be... I am for sure limited to one JTR sub, vs 2 of the Rythmiks or 2 of the HSUs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The HSU VTF15 mk2 has a Rosenut veneer option but it increases the price.

I know you said black but just wanted to mention I like the look of the Rosenut. :)
vtf15h mk2.jpg

Here is a pretty picture that I took of the VTF15h mk2 when I took it out for testing. I normally just take pics to document things, but this one was so pretty I sent it to Dr. Hsu, lol. Sadly, this was the sub that got me thrown off my previous test site. A resident who lived almost 300 feet away apparently didn't care for the test tones!

Last edited:
Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
View attachment 37458
Here is a pretty picture that I took of the VTF15h mk2 when I took it out for testing. I normally just take pics to document things, but this one was so pretty I sent it to Dr. Hsu, lol. Sadly, this was the sub that got me thrown off my previous test site. A resident who lived almost 300 feet away apparently didn't care for the test tones!
I would consider that. I have the Polk LSiM series speakers in the living room now, in the "midnight mahogany", which I really like!

How would these look directly next to that Rosenut sub? Or would a piano black sub look the best, to compliment the grill on the LSiMs?

1592951215605.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok thanks.

How would a single JTR 2400 captivator compare to 2 of the Rythmiks FV15s? The price would be comparable, including shipping and everything.

As far as the JTR finish, have you seen how it looks in person? It seems kind of like that sandy truck bed type of finish, but I don't know. They do have a furniture grade one available.

The main difference there would be... I am for sure limited to one JTR sub, vs 2 of the Rythmiks or 2 of the HSUs.
The Captivator would have a lot more extreme deep bass output than two FV15HPs, but it would be a little bit behind in midbass output. The problem is, as I mentioned before, it has a 2,400-watt amp whereas the Rythmiks have 600-watt amps, so the JTR needs about twice the power to reach its potential. It's not something I would want to put on a 15-amp circuit with a bunch of other devices. Give it its own 20-amp circuit if you really want it to rock.

As for the finish, maybe this pic gives you an idea of what it is like:
rs1 hero angle.jpg

It's a bit smoother than sandy textured finishes out there.
(review forthcoming...)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would consider that. I have the Polk LSiM series speakers in the living room now, in the "midnight mahogany", which I really like!

How would these look directly next to that Rosenut sub? Or would a piano black sub look the best, to compliment the grill on the LSiMs?

View attachment 37459
I think either sub would look fine against those speakers. By the way, your wife does know how large these subs, are, right? These are not small things.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I think either sub would look fine against those speakers. By the way, your wife does know how large these subs, are, right? These are not small things.
Yes, mostly. I have a space on either side of the TV stand (about a 20" gap) between the LSiMs that I planned on putting a floor standing sub.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I do live in Texas, so sales tax is a factor if I choose the Rythmik. However, I could drive to Austin to avoid the shipping fees.

The last time I talked to Rythmik, they would not offer a custom finish on anything larger than the FV15s, due to size. Therefore, the FV18 is out. But, I could get a pair of FV15HP-SE (piano black finished) for around $3,000 out the door, if I come pick them up.

So 2 of those would hopefully meet my bass criteria, as well as give a really nice finish option that would compliment my Polk speakers, or anything else I get later.

Alternatively, 2 of the HSUs in satin black would be around ~$2,200 shipped, or $2,444 with the Rosenut. It would arguably not look as nice as the Piano black, IMO. I'm skeptical of whether it would sound quite as good either, but I have no experience here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

However.... I imagine that a single JTR 2400 is around $3000 with shipping!

is the JTR in a totally different league? Would I be regretting for the next 10 years not trying a JTR, and "settling" with Rythmiks?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Because of your timing, you might wait and see of Outlaw has the X13 Ultra discounted for Independence Day.
Most of the ID sub companies don't really do much for sales, but it doesn't hurt to watch all of them.

As far as JTR, great sub, but unless you have $6000 for a pair (or whatever discounted price they may offer for buying 2), I would always go with two very good subs over one great sub because of how two subs will even out the bass throughout your room.
That said, the fact that your sub locations are predetermined might prevent you from realizing how good these subs are!
Here are a couple of items to look at for learning more about this:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
View attachment 37458
In my best Steve Irwin voice...
...Here we have an MK2 variety of the famous Dr shoe....mind ya distance though...it will pummel you without notice!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, mostly. I have a space on either side of the TV stand (about a 20" gap) between the LSiMs that I planned on putting a floor standing sub.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I do live in Texas, so sales tax is a factor if I choose the Rythmik. However, I could drive to Austin to avoid the shipping fees.

The last time I talked to Rythmik, they would not offer a custom finish on anything larger than the FV15s, due to size. Therefore, the FV18 is out. But, I could get a pair of FV15HP-SE (piano black finished) for around $3,000 out the door, if I come pick them up.

So 2 of those would hopefully meet my bass criteria, as well as give a really nice finish option that would compliment my Polk speakers, or anything else I get later.

Alternatively, 2 of the HSUs in satin black would be around ~$2,200 shipped, or $2,444 with the Rosenut. It would arguably not look as nice as the Piano black, IMO. I'm skeptical of whether it would sound quite as good either, but I have no experience here.

is the JTR in a totally different league? Would I be regretting for the next 10 years not trying a JTR, and "settling" with Rythmiks?
Yeah, the JTR subs are a very tangible step above these other subs in the $1k to 1.5K range, no doubt. But again, do you have the wall outlet power to feed them? And as for regretting, you should get acquainted with the performance of these lower-cost subs first. It may be that even they are offering way more performance than you would ever need.

That deal on the FV15HP-SEs sounds pretty good. As for sounding better than the Hsu subs, I don't think that Rythmik has any special sound quality advantage, despite their extremely verbose website literature. Still, the fundamental performance of the subs is good, I can't argue against that. But it isn't better than many of the competing subs.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Are you saying the JTR requires a wall outlet with 20 amps to sound better than the FV15, or HSUs?

I for sure don't have 20 amp outlets... and all 3 plugs may in fact be on one 15 amp circuit.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are you saying the JTR requires a wall outlet with 20 amps to sound better than the FV15, or HSUs?

I for sure don't have 20 amp outlets... and all 3 plugs may in fact be on one 15 amp circuit.
Qualitatively the JTR sound will sound just as good, but you don't buy an 18", 2,400-watt sub just for sound quality advantages. Its major advantages are output and extension, but if you put it on a 15 amp circuit that is already feeding other devices, that reduces its output potential. In other words, there isn't much sense in getting a high output subwoofer if you are going to current limit it from attaining high output. It may also trip your circuit breaker or cause a power drain on the circuit. I remember I had a PB16-Ultra on a 15 amp circuit, and it would dim the light of a lamp that it shared that circuit with. And that was only a 1,500-watt sub. The JTR sub is an absolutely killer sub for sure though, and you might just consider getting an electrician to run a dedicated 20 amp line for it.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Qualitatively the JTR sound will sound just as good, but you don't buy an 18", 2,400-watt sub just for sound quality advantages. Its major advantages are output and extension, but if you put it on a 15 amp circuit that is already feeding other devices, that reduces its output potential. In other words, there isn't much sense in getting a high output subwoofer if you are going to current limit it from attaining high output. It may also trip your circuit breaker or cause a power drain on the circuit. I remember I had a PB16-Ultra on a 15 amp circuit, and it would dim the light of a lamp that it shared that circuit with. And that was only a 1,500-watt sub. The JTR sub is an absolutely killer sub for sure though, and you might just consider getting an electrician to run a dedicated 20 amp line for it.
Well, the power devices would be....

Denon X4500 *(preamp)
Emotiva XPA7 (3000 watt powersupply, 200x7 or 250x7 continuous)
Xbox
LED TV
2 Subwoofers

Emotiva claims their amp can output even more power on a 20-amp line... but I'm not sure how true this is?

Would I need more than 1 20-amp line for all that?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well, the power devices would be....

Denon X4500 *(preamp)
Emotiva XPA7 (3000 watt powersupply, 200x7 or 250x7 continuous)
Xbox
LED TV
2 Subwoofers

Emotiva claims their amp can output even more power on a 20-amp line... but I'm not sure how true this is?

Would I need more than 1 20-amp line for all that?
The good news is that you probably will never use the Emotiva amp to its full capacity. The bad news is that is still a lot of stuff to put on a 15 amp circuit. A 20 amp circuit gives you a bit more headroom. The load capacity of a 15 amp circuit is 1,800-watts, but it is 2,400-watts for a 20 amp circuit. Putting two additional subs on that line, even if they are only 600-watts each, that seems like it is pushing it a bit if its a 15 amp circuit. It will probably work since you aren't likely pushing that system all that hard. But it depends on how loud you like to listen. If you wanted to use this equipment to its full potential, yeah, you need another circuit, however, that would be extremely loud, and I doubt you listen at those levels.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

If you have the money and want something with fantastic performance and great looks-

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I skipped to the middle. I hope I am not restating. I would sell the Emo and put it toward your sub budget. With the subs and crossing over towers. The amp may no longer get hot. If it does keep a bit of money behind for a used 2-3 channel amp for the fronts. Just my 2 cents....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis