lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL that can be an involved discussion, was hoping you could tell me more about why that particular sub, and not going duals, and more information about your use (and room, too)....a good review is nice, but doesn't necessarily mean its a good sub for you.

So you already have a second avr? What are you looking for particularly in a new avr? Not sure what you like about the Elite particularly...it's MCACC program or graphic eq or ? The Integra's AccuEQ I would think is likely not as good as MCACC but seems some of the MCACC features have moved over to AccuEQ on some models now that Pioneer/Onkyo combined under same ownership. The Integra probably has similar graphic eq I'd think tho. Not sure what else you might mean by robust features....

A

aesposito

Enthusiast
LOL that can be an involved discussion, was hoping you could tell me more about why that particular sub, and not going duals, and more information about your use (and room, too)....a good review is nice, but doesn't necessarily mean its a good sub for you.

So you already have a second avr? What are you looking for particularly in a new avr? Not sure what you like about the Elite particularly...it's MCACC program or graphic eq or ? The Integra's AccuEQ I would think is likely not as good as MCACC but seems some of the MCACC features have moved over to AccuEQ on some models now that Pioneer/Onkyo combined under same ownership. The Integra probably has similar graphic eq I'd think tho. Not sure what else you might mean by robust features....

LOL sorry man. Some more details below:

- SVS sub - Just google top subs and that was mentioned most in youtube videos.
- Going Dual subs - Not sure if I should do it. I have a L shaped living and dining room. I'm guessing one corner sub can suffice but was asking if anyone has personal experience from going from a 1 subsystem to dual system.
- AV receiver - The more I research the more I read more power means better sound. Read that Integra has superior power supply vs Pioneer. What I miss about the Pioneer is the app utility really. (screenshots attached Top is pionner bottom integra) Let's mark this bullet as closed.
1592857474374.png
1592857501103.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

- Going Dual subs - Not sure if I should do it. I have a L shaped living and dining room. I'm guessing one corner sub can suffice but was asking if anyone has personal experience from going from a 1 subsystem to dual system.
- AV receiver - The more I research the more I read more power means better sound. Read that Integra has superior power supply vs Pioneer. What I miss about the Pioneer is the app utility really. (screenshots attached Top is pionner bottom integra) Let's mark this bullet as closed.
View attachment 37357View attachment 37358
I can't imagine a situation where going dual wouldn't be beneficial with subwoofers. The SB16 Utra is a nice sub for sure, but depending on your room size (total volume, including other areas open to the room) ported is generally preferable. I think a pair of good ported subs will easily outperform even a top of the line sealed sub from SVS.

I would add that if going with sealed it's even more strongly recommended (by me) to go with duals. Even 3 or 4 if going with sealed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
More power does not mean better sound unless you're underpowered to begin with, which is rarely the case. I would put a new receiver or amp on the back burner until you get your subs straightened out.

SVS is a great brand, you can get better bang for your buck with HSU tho, but aesthetics might come into play there.

So many people underestimate good bass. I mean the kind of bass that's not one note, boomy and in your face. That kind of bass dirties up the whole spectrum. Poorly designed, cheap or underpowered subs have a way of sneaking distortion into your sound without you noticing it. It took me upgrading my subs to notice it.

I had a pair of smaller cheaper subs and thought I had plenty of bass. It was loud and boomy, so plenty right? Nope. The new subs were transformative in a way I've never heard more power do. All of my music sounded cleaner and clearer. The perception was that my main speakers even sounded cleaner! The only other time an upgrade had that much impact on my overall sound quality was upgrading my main speakers. The new subs had WAY more impact than when I bought a Monolith 200wpc amp. I use it for my front stage and I can't tell a difference between it and my AVR. As far as sq goes they sound the same to me. The new subs tho...

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi everyone,

I love my home theater sound system, but looking to upgrade my sound fidelity in a significant way. I was on the website accessories for less and was referred to purchase teh canton series speaker system. Is this a substantial upgrade over my current setup below?

Current Setup
Yamaha Ns 777
Yamahan Ns 333
Yamaha Ns c444
Polk 10 inch sub
Integra DTR 30.7

Proposed setup
View attachment 37284
Not to sound like a broken record, but I concur with upgrading the Polk Sub first.

If the system is primarily for movies...you might think the sub upgrade to be enough...hate to go from zero to 1000 in that direction, but depending on the room size...two subs might be the ultimate upgrade.

If music is more than just back ground...Canton's rep is better in most circles than Yamaha for speakers, but I wouldn't be able to quantify it very well.

A

aesposito

Enthusiast
Not to sound like a broken record, but I concur with upgrading the Polk Sub first.

If the system is primarily for movies...you might think the sub upgrade to be enough...hate to go from zero to 1000 in that direction, but depending on the room size...two subs might be the ultimate upgrade.

If music is more than just back ground...Canton's rep is better in most circles than Yamaha for speakers, but I wouldn't be able to quantify it very well.
Any thoughts on Rythmik subs vs SVS?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sure. I have a pair of pc12pluses.(and a third that shall remain unnamed lol). I love them. But I have a pair of fv18’s from Rythmik on my short list of contenders. IMO, Rythmik offers better value, but I don’t need app control, or the bill of rights etc. For others, SVS can win the day with free two way shipping(built in to the price), app control, upgrade program and the best CV on the planet.
For me, I like HSU for value, but will likely buy Rythmik.
To answer your question, they both make great subwoofers, but so does HSU, monolith, seaton, JTR, etc.
How low, er much do you wanna spend.

A

aesposito

Enthusiast
Sure. I have a pair of pc12pluses.(and a third that shall remain unnamed lol). I love them. But I have a pair of fv18’s from Rythmik on my short list of contenders. IMO, Rythmik offers better value, but I don’t need app control, or the bill of rights etc. For others, SVS can win the day with free two way shipping(built in to the price), app control, upgrade program and the best CV on the planet.
For me, I like HSU for value, but will likely buy Rythmik.
To answer your question, they both make great subwoofers, but so does HSU, monolith, seaton, JTR, etc.
How low, er much do you wanna spend.
Thanks! So I found a guy selling SVS PC 2000. Its a cylinder sub, looks nice bit this shape shouldn't impact performance right? I am going to pick it up. He is letting it go for 300.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow that’s a good price(as long as it’s not a used or whatever). No. That design won’t change performance at all. IIRC, the cylinders have like 1/2 dB or a whole dB more extension. Will you have a chance to hear it first?

A

aesposito

Enthusiast
Wow that’s a good price(as long as it’s not a used or whatever). No. That design won’t change performance at all. IIRC, the cylinders have like 1/2 dB or a whole dB more extension. Will you have a chance to hear it first?
Yes it is used and I will be able to test before paying. He said neighbors complain about the bass so he is downsizing but figure its still a good deal even used.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes it is used and I will be able to test before paying. He said neighbors complain about the bass so he is downsizing but figure its still a good deal even used.
That's a good price if everything is in order. Good sub too!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've never had the opportunity to listen to a Rythmik sub to know the effect of their Direct Servo technology.
When you get into bench testing I think we can start to have a conversation about which one comparable model is better, but I think with most of these direct sell sub companies (you've seen the brands now) generally speaking the performances will be very close in real world applications.

Just from a buying practicality stand point...SVS is hard to beat with the free shipping.

I went the HSU route and I still think the price/performance of the dual VTF3 mk5 for spaces 3,000-4,000 cu ft is an awesome deal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I think that PC2000 is a good deal altho I'd never make a decision based on youtube videos :). A plus is that it's still a model sold by SVS if you'd like to go to duals.

I've used single and multiple subs, I prefer the advantages of multiple. I've got one system still with only one sub, but it's my least used system too. Someday I'll have an extra to add :) My main setup is four subs, and two each in two other systems (bedroom and workshop). I diy subs these days, too. For only your own seat one sub can work okay, but the corner may not be the best position. Subs tend to work best where they need to be, not necessarily where you would like to put them :)

While I do have one avr with the potential for app control, I don't use it. A remote and a dive into the setup menu is easy enough. Many modern avrs have some app control these days, tho. More power can be nice if needed, depends on speaker sensitivity, distance from speakers and how loud you listen....might want to use this spl calculator to get an idea of the relationship.

A

aesposito

Enthusiast
Update for everyone, Svs sub is amazing. Feel it in my bones. Still adjusting the settings. Opinion for everyone. What hertz is a good balance to keep it at for movies and music? Also any additional settings i should set? Phase at 180? Volume at max? ect

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Update for everyone, Svs sub is amazing. Feel it in my bones. Still adjusting the settings. Opinion for everyone. What hertz is a good balance to keep it at for movies and music? Also any additional settings i should set? Phase at 180? Volume at max? ect
On the sub itself use the LFE input which likely bypasses the sub's own low pass filter but to be safe you can just set that low pass filter on the sub to the maximum frequency. I'd start with crossover settings in your avr at 80 to start (and set speakers to small/use bass management). Generally you set gain/volume on the sub somewhere between 1/4 - 1/2 while you level match with the mains, yielding a bass trim level in the avr somewhere below 0 (but not to it's lowest value of -12/15 depending on avr, aim for -5 or so). Start with phase at 0 but believe you have variable phase between 0-180 so you can experiment a bit for best setting

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis