Def tech BP30, should I Upgrade?

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
I think we become very partial to most of the speakers we've owned. So I don't think it's fair to pick one out. :D

Naturally, I think everyone feels that their current speakers are their "favorite". :D

But when I compare STREET prices vs specs vs performance, I think the RBH SVT modular tower (SV831 + SV1212N) is the best bang for my buck. I don't think anything comes close.

BTW, Gene's new reference speakers is the RBH SVTRS, which is the BIG brother of the SVT tower.
You are at a whole different level when it comes to speakers. I am still audio 101... lol.. my wife would take me to a psychiatrist if I told her I want to buy $20k of speakers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You are at a whole different level when it comes to speakers. I am still audio 101... lol.. my wife would take me to a psychiatrist if I told her I want to buy $20k of speakers
Well, these days I wouldn't spend more than $6K/pair on speakers.

But even $6K is too much for most people. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, these days I wouldn't spend more than $6K/pair on speakers.

But even $6K is too much for most people. :D
When I first hopped back in I woulda said 6k is ridiculous. Now I could see myself easily dropping 6k for the right speakers and not bat an eye. I may no longer be married if I did, but 6k for speakers isn't as much as I used to think it was... lol.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
When I first hopped back in I woulda said 6k is ridiculous. Now I could see myself easily dropping 6k for the right speakers and not bat an eye. I may no longer be married if I did, but 6k for speakers isn't as much as I used to think it was... lol.
I agree most married men will get in trouble with the wife for $6k speakers unless they were a top 5% income household

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You're halfway there!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I read it that way at first too. He means my latest purchase puts me half way to dropping 6k on a pair of speakers.
I would be more likely to drop big money on subs. :)

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
So how do you guys do it? I mean such expensive equipment. I guess it is expensive to me. How do you convince yourself or the spouse to agree on such a purchase?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So how do you guys do it? I mean such expensive equipment. I guess it is expensive to me. How do you convince yourself or the spouse to agree on such a purchase?
Man, I don't know. When I decided to upgrade I struggled to pay $300 for a pair of speakers but got a good deal so gave them a shot. They sounded much better than I expected and I was sucked into the rabbit hole. Next thing I know I have a 5.0 Ultra surround setup and I'm shopping for towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters... :oops:

tenor.gif

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Man, I don't know. When I decided to upgrade I struggled to pay $300 for a pair of speakers but got a good deal so gave them a shot. They sounded much better than I expected and I was sucked into the rabbit hole. Next thing I know I have a 5.0 Ultra surround setup and I'm shopping for towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters... :oops:

View attachment 37022
I know I am not helping you save money by saying this but your ultras and the Sierra towers do have me drooling as well. I am trying to resist getting sucked into this expensive hobby... lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How much were your DefTech speakers?

When I bought my DefTech system, the BP7000SC were $5500, BP7001SC were $3500, CLR3000 was $2000, SC Trinity was $3000. Absolutely no way I would pay that today. But audio has been expensive for a long time.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
How much were your DefTech speakers?

When I bought my DefTech system, the BP7000SC were $5500, BP7001SC were $3500, CLR3000 was $2000, SC Trinity was $3000. Absolutely no way I would pay that today. But audio has been expensive for a long time.
I bought the bp30 Pair for $900 used. I think $500 for the bp2x and can’t remember how much for clr2002. They were all used. Sub was a gift and had a Harman kardon avr I bought new for 500 or so. So maybe 2500 for everything 20 yrs ago

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bought the bp30 Pair for $900 used. I think $500 for the bp2x and can’t remember how much for clr2002. They were all used. Sub was a gift and had a Harman kardon avr I bought new for 500 or so. So maybe 2500 for everything 20 yrs ago
That's pretty good. I think if your speakers still sound great to you, especially if you don't even use them that often, just keep them.

What did you think about this little Infinity sub before it broke? Did it produce "good" enough bass for you all these years?

If so then just get another $500-$600 sub to replace your broken little sub.

Unless you are going "all out" and replace the entire system for a lot more than $3K, I don't think it's worth the money.

Unless you can find a used system for $3K from KEF, Revel, RBH, Monitor Audio, PSB, etc., but there is still no guarantee that they will sound better to your ears.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The HSU VTF2 mk5 is probably the best sub value in your price range.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hearing is believing. When I went to audition some Song 3's I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't be that impressed with them and I could then save some cash by going with my previous front runners the Paradigm Premier 800f's. But then I heard subtleties in music I've been listening to for close to 30 years that I didn't hear on the Paradigms and that sealed the deal for me. Also, my current speakers are 20 years old, so I look at it as something I'll keep for a long long time and that makes it easier for me to absorb the big price.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I really think I have to be done with the Sierras. I went into the decision with the same mentality as NIN, hopefully the last speakers I'm gonna buy. I thought that about the Ultras too until I stumbled across the Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers on Craigslist asking $850 less than retail...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis