Def tech BP30, should I Upgrade?

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Hello Everyone,
First post here. I have read great discussions and learned a lot from this forum and the knowledgeable members. I wanted to get your input on a dilemma.
All this reading about great speakers have gotten me an itch to get some new speakers. I will be completely honest, I don’t use my home theater much Between work and kids, but I do appreciate it when I do use it.

I currently have a pair of def tech bp30 as the front left and right speakers, clr2002 as center and bp2x as rears. My sub died so in the market for a sub and that is what got me thinking of upgrading the whole set up.

My question to you is, should I upgrade if my budget is about $3k for all the speakers. Is there anything significantly better in that budget compared to what I have? I don’t want to spend $3k for a marginal improvement since I don’t use the home theater that much.
Thanks in advance for your help.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
At $3k for the front three, I would take a close look at the Paradigm Premier series, some 800F towers and a 500C center. You could also get some Monoprice Monolith towers and a Monolith THX 365C center. SVS Ultra towers with a SVS Ultra center would be good too.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
First post here . . .
All this reading about great speakers have gotten me an itch to get some new speakers . . .
I don’t use my home theater much . . . but I do appreciate it when I do use it.

I currently have a pair of def tech bp30 as the front left and right speakers, clr2002 as center and bp2x as rears.

My sub died so in the market for a sub and that is what got me thinking of upgrading the whole set up.
IMHO spend about $2k of that budget on HSU, SVS or Rhythmik, etc. dual subs and enjoy!

My question to you is, should I upgrade if my budget is about $3k for all the speakers.
Too low to get what you seek, especially when a new sub (or two) is in the mix.

Is there anything significantly better in that budget compared to what I have?

I don’t want to spend $3k for a marginal improvement since I don’t use the home theater that much.
See answer above and
welcome to the Forum!
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
At $3k for the front three, I would take a close look at the Paradigm Premier series, some 800F towers and a 500C center. You could also get some Monoprice Monolith towers and a Monolith THX 365C center. SVS Ultra towers with a SVS Ultra center would be good too.
It’s funny you mentioned svs ultra towers. While I was shopping around for subs, svs was on the shortlist, thanks to this forum, I noticed the towers and they look good and the reviews seemed positive so I got tempted to upgrade the whole set up.
Also, I was thinking $3k for front 3 speakers and sub as well. So I will have to go back and check the prices of the speakers you suggested.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd concentrate on the subs (and I'd go duals) first myself since that's already a need. May just make the older speakers sound better than before....what sub did you have?

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
IMHO spend about $2k of that budget on HSU, SVS or Rhythmik, etc. dual subs and enjoy!

Too low to get what you seek, especially when a new sub (or two) is in the mix.

See answer above and
welcome to the Forum!
XEagleDriver

Thanks XEagleDriver. Yes I do need a sub since mine died. Was thinking svs pb1000 or sb1000, monolith 10 or 12”, or Hsu vtf2 mk5. Trying to stay under $600 for sub. Unless, it is a big difference to have 2 subs. So that only leaves $2400 for the speakers.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
I'd concentrate on the subs (and I'd go duals) first myself since that's already a need. May just make the older speakers sound better than before....what sub did you have?
Seems like dual subs is the preferred route. I had infinity ps10, it was a gift from my wife when we were dating

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Thanks XEagleDriver. Yes I do need a sub since mine died. Was thinking svs pb1000 or sb1000, monolith 10 or 12”, or Hsu vtf2 mk5. Trying to stay under $600 for sub. Unless, it is a big difference to have 2 subs. So that only leaves $2400 for the speakers.
How big is your HT room (cu ft) and is it open to any other rooms?
- If so, how large are they?
- For mainly movie duty I would lean towards a PB design as long as their size fits in your space.
XEagleDriver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like dual subs is the preferred route. I had infinity ps10, it was a gift from my wife when we were dating
Oh yeah I think you might be surprised what a pair of good subs can do compared to that. Info on room like eagle driver asks for would be helpful....

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Forgot to ask, are these speakers going to be quite a bit better than the bp30? I know it’s subjective but the room is 18x 18 with 9 ft ceilings if that helps

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . . room is 18x 18 with 9 ft ceilings if that helps
2900 cu ft is dual sub territory.
- I strongly suggest getting one or two quality subs (e.g. PB-2000 for $700 on sale) and see how it sounds.
- I think you will pleasantly surprised at the improvement.
XEagleDriver

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! You’re in for a surprise! IMO, if you’re the only one who cares about the HT, but the single best sub you can afford now, and plan a second one as quickly as you can. Multiple subs are basically a necessity when dealing with multiple seats, and especially multiple rows. But you only care about one seat, and have some freedom in placement, just get a great one now, upgrade the LCR and worry about the second sub and surrounds later. Basically any current quality sub will be an improvement over the infinity which could easily be moved to the garage, or BR or office etc.
I would personally go beyond the 1000 series in SVS’s lineup though. Without considering any connected rooms, you’re at about 3000cuft. So I would at least set into the 2000 series.

Didn’t see any ultra towers but found the prime pinnacles at 700/800ea in ash, or piano gloss.
1400 towers(+700 if using 3rd as center)
Or 349 for the prime center.
700 pc2000.
If you really want the ultras,
$2k a pair
$700 for sub
349 for prime center(voiced to match ultras) just barely over budget.

I’m just spit balling here but you get the idea.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
How big is your HT room (cu ft) and is it open to any other rooms?
- If so, how large are they?
- For mainly movie duty I would lean towards a PB design as long as their size fits in your space.
XEagleDriver

It should fit but won’t have a lot of space on the sides. Not sure how important that is.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
2900 cu ft is dual sub territory.
- I strongly suggest getting one or two quality subs (e.g. PB-2000 for $700 on sale) and see how it sounds.
- I think you will pleasantly surprised at the improvement.
XEagleDriver
Would I need a new avr because mine only has 1 input for sub. Where or how would I plug in a 2nd sub? Sorry if it is a stupid question.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Wow! You’re in for a surprise! IMO, if you’re the only one who cares about the HT, but the single best sub you can afford now, and plan a second one as quickly as you can. Multiple subs are basically a necessity when dealing with multiple seats, and especially multiple rows. But you only care about one seat, and have some freedom in placement, just get a great one now, upgrade the LCR and worry about the second sub and surrounds later. Basically any current quality sub will be an improvement over the infinity which could easily be moved to the garage, or BR or office etc.
I would personally go beyond the 1000 series in SVS’s lineup though. Without considering any connected rooms, you’re at about 3000cuft. So I would at least set into the 2000 series.

Didn’t see any ultra towers but found the prime pinnacles at 700/800ea in ash, or piano gloss.
1400 towers(+700 if using 3rd as center)
Or 349 for the prime center.
700 pc2000.
If you really want the ultras,
$2k a pair
$700 for sub
349 for prime center(voiced to match ultras) just barely over budget.

I’m just spit balling here but you get the idea.
Yes I saw those when shopping for the sub and they were so beautiful, it started the whole upgrade itch. I guess what I am trying to find out other than me adding a quality sub is, will I see a noticeable improvement from the speaker upgrade.
I sometimes get buyers remorse If it is not a huge improvement and I don’t like to return stuff because I feel it is unfair to the seller when I should have done my research first.
It’s not the $3k that bothers me, it’s the fact that would I wonder what if I could have gotten x , y or z brand of speakers that would have made a big difference. Wish there was a big box store with all the brands so I could just walk in and demo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I saw those when shopping for the sub and they were so beautiful, it started the whole upgrade itch. I guess what I am trying to find out other than me adding a quality sub is, will I see a noticeable improvement from the speaker upgrade.
I sometimes get buyers remorse If it is not a huge improvement and I don’t like to return stuff because I feel it is unfair to the seller when I should have done my research first.
It’s not the $3k that bothers me, it’s the fact that would I wonder what if I could have gotten x , y or z brand of speakers that would have made a big difference. Wish there was a big box store with all the brands so I could just walk in and demo.
Meh most big box stores are not good places to demo. As far as sub placement, they work best where they work best but we all have compromises, but you would lose the benefit from duals somewhat by stacking them as the biggest advantage is dealing with room modes, altho a bit extra output does come with duals as well. As far as a single pre-out, easily solved with an rca cable splitter, or some subs even provide a direct output for another sub (a daisy chain so to speak).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I hear that loud n clear. Like you said though, it’s definitely subjective. To ME I would expect a better overall sound using either the Primes or the ultras. However, if you’re used to the DT’s and genuinely like them, you might not find any value in buying SVS. Although I don’t believe that would be the case. Good news is SVS covers shipping both ways and offers CS and hand holding that DT couldn’t BUY!!!
So really, you can send em back if you don’t love them.
It’s Also important to temper your expectations. Obviously we’re all subject to expectation bias, so you will likely hear an improvement just based on that. But what I mean is, to consciously try to avoid that, so when you are evaluating your new speakers you can be as unbiased as possible. Speakers can be hard to evaluate from one to another but I have no doubt you’ll hear new things. Especially when you add a new sub/s. Subs are easier to spot shortcomings with, especially with certain content. But also, good quality subs can elevate the system as whole. @Pogre had shared his experience a few times and he is definitely qualified to explain.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s funny you mentioned svs ultra towers. While I was shopping around for subs, svs was on the shortlist, thanks to this forum, I noticed the towers and they look good and the reviews seemed positive so I got tempted to upgrade the whole set up.
Also, I was thinking $3k for front 3 speakers and sub as well. So I will have to go back and check the prices of the speakers you suggested.
Where do you live? I happen to know someone who might have a pair of Ultra towers up for sale, in near perfect condition for $1500...

So here's something to think about. How do you like the BP30s? If they're still sounding pretty good to you I'd start by getting a pair of good subwoofers. What you had before weren't even true subs. Boy oh boy, and I like the PB or PC2000 suggestion! That'll really wake things up for you and you'll feel like you got a nice sound upgrade.

Good subwoofage is almost always underestimated. Cheaper or undersized subs can sneak a lot of distortion into your sound, and because of the way we hear it's not in your face like it is with higher frequencies. I didn't notice it until it was gone. I got bigger subs and they seemed quieter, which baffled me. Then it realized they seemed quieter because the distortion was gone. The volume was there, but it was cleaner and more felt than heard. There was texture in my bass and my main speakers even sounded cleaner and more dynamic. No more boom-boom, just nice, clean, smooth bass.

Once you get your subs squared away come on back and we'll help you find some speakers too!

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Meh most big box stores are not good places to demo. As far as sub placement, they work best where they work best but we all have compromises, but you would lose the benefit from duals somewhat by stacking them as the biggest advantage is dealing with room modes, altho a bit extra output does come with duals as well. As far as a single pre-out, easily solved with an rca cable splitter, or some subs even provide a direct output for another sub (a daisy chain so to speak).
Thank you lovinthehd for explaining that to me

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Where do you live? I happen to know someone who might have a pair of Ultra towers up for sale, in near perfect condition for $1500...

So here's something to think about. How do you like the BP30s? If they're still sounding pretty good to you I'd start by getting a pair of good subwoofers. What you had before weren't even true subs. Boy oh boy, and I like the PB or PC2000 suggestion! That'll really wake things up for you and you'll feel like you got a nice sound upgrade.

Good subwoofage is almost always underestimated. Cheaper or undersized subs can sneak a lot of distortion into your sound, and because of the way we hear it's not in your face like it is with higher frequencies. I didn't notice it until it was gone. I got bigger subs and they seemed quieter, which baffled me. Then it realized they seemed quieter because the distortion was gone. The volume was there, but it was cleaner and more felt than heard. There was texture in my bass and my main speakers even sounded cleaner and more dynamic. No more boom-boom, just nice, clean, smooth bass.

Once you get your subs squared away come on back and we'll help you find some speakers too!
Good point. I should get the sub out of the way and see how I like my current set up with the new sub. Also I have denon avr 1912, is that a good enough avr or does that need a upgrade as well. Asking because, I read some speakers need a more powerful amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis