Def tech BP30, should I Upgrade?

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Where do you live? I happen to know someone who might have a pair of Ultra towers up for sale, in near perfect condition for $1500...

So here's something to think about. How do you like the BP30s? If they're still sounding pretty good to you I'd start by getting a pair of good subwoofers. What you had before weren't even true subs. Boy oh boy, and I like the PB or PC2000 suggestion! That'll really wake things up for you and you'll feel like you got a nice sound upgrade.

Good subwoofage is almost always underestimated. Cheaper or undersized subs can sneak a lot of distortion into your sound, and because of the way we hear it's not in your face like it is with higher frequencies. I didn't notice it until it was gone. I got bigger subs and they seemed quieter, which baffled me. Then it realized they seemed quieter because the distortion was gone. The volume was there, but it was cleaner and more felt than heard. There was texture in my bass and my main speakers even sounded cleaner and more dynamic. No more boom-boom, just nice, clean, smooth bass.

Once you get your subs squared away come on back and we'll help you find some speakers too!
I am in Houston, not sure where the seller of those ultras is located but would be nice if he was in Houston or even Austin

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good point. I should get the sub out of the way and see how I like my current set up with the new sub. Also I have denon avr 1912, is that a good enough avr or does that need a upgrade as well. Asking because, I read some speakers need a more powerful amp.
I'd not worry about the avr for now, it won't matter to the sub upgrade. Figure out what speakers you want first before a change in amp, too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am in Houston, not sure where the seller of those ultras is located but would be nice if he was in Houston or even Austin
May-sah.....lol.
Not close, but not far either.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good point. I should get the sub out of the way and see how I like my current set up with the new sub. Also I have denon avr 1912, is that a good enough avr or does that need a upgrade as well. Asking because, I read some speakers need a more powerful amp.
That amp has good power and should do well in 2 channel with most speakers for a music only system. Features would be the reason to upgrade, or in your case update, lol. If you plan to use more modern equipment with HDMI 2.1 (or whatever the newer one is) and/or want to expand into digital surround sound then you might consider it. I had the 1912 and sold it to neighbor Bob a few years ago and it's still in service now. I really liked it, I just needed the update.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
That amp has good power and should do well in 2 channel with most speakers for a music only system. Features would be the reason to upgrade, or in your case update, lol. If you plan to use more modern equipment with HDMI 2.1 (or whatever the newer one is) and/or want to expand into digital surround sound then you might consider it. I had the 1912 and sold it to neighbor Bob a few years ago and it's still in service now. I really liked it, I just needed the update.
How do you like your all svs set up? I am so tempted just because my def tech are old and boring looking. I don’t even know if my ears are sensitive enough to notice the difference... lol... it is more of a shiny toy for me right now... so it’s between this or a new grill... also because it’s new and shiny

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My sub died so in the market for a sub and that is what got me thinking of upgrading the whole set up.

I don’t want to spend $3k for a marginal improvement since I don’t use the home theater that much.
What was the single subwoofer that died, and how old was the sub before it died?

My first big system was a DefTech system (BP7000SC, BP7001SC, CLR3000, SC Trinity). Based on my experience, the improvement in the speakers & sub for $3K will probably be marginal. :D

You’re in dangerous territory. Next thing you know, you’re spending $6K easily. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks XEagleDriver. Yes I do need a sub since mine died. Was thinking svs pb1000 or sb1000, monolith 10 or 12”, or Hsu vtf2 mk5. Trying to stay under $600 for sub. Unless, it is a big difference to have 2 subs. So that only leaves $2400 for the speakers.
I think the most sensible thing to do is spend under $600 on one of those subs.

But most of us don’t exactly prescribe to sense and sensibility. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What was the single subwoofer that died, and how old was the sub before it died?

My first big system was a DefTech system (BP7000SC, BP7001SC, CLR3000, SC Trinity). Based on my experience, the improvement in the speakers & sub for $3K will probably be marginal. :D

You’re in dangerous territory. Next thing you know, you’re spending $6K easily. :D
He had an Infinity PS10...

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern

The sub that died was infinity ps10, it was a gift so had more emotional value. Now I am thinking of svs pb2000 or monolith 12” or hsu vtf2-mk5 for the new sub.

That leaves me about $2400 or so for the front 3 speakers. I don’t want to spend it if the improvement is marginal. I don’t think my ears are qualified to be able to tell some of the differences that some guys on here can tell. I wouldn’t even know what to look for when hearing except it sounds good overall or not good enough

I came across The svs prime pinnacle and ultra towers while shopping for their sub. That got me the itch for something new and shiny but I want to make sure it’s actually better and not spend $2400 for just shiny.

Also, I know it may sound shallow but the speakers have to aesthetically pleasing. For example, I will Personally never buy the $60k B&W nautilus Just because they are so damn ugly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The sub that died was infinity ps10, it was a gift so had more emotional value. Now I am thinking of svs pb2000 or monolith 12” or hsu vtf2-mk5 for the new sub.

That leaves me about $2400 or so for the front 3 speakers. I don’t want to spend it if the improvement is marginal. I don’t think my ears are qualified to be able to tell some of the differences that some guys on here can tell. I wouldn’t even know what to look for when hearing except it sounds good overall or not good enough

I came across The svs prime pinnacle and ultra towers while shopping for their sub. That got me the itch for something new and shiny but I want to make sure it’s actually better and not spend $2400 for just shiny.

Also, I know it may sound shallow but the speakers have to aesthetically pleasing. For example, I will Personally never buy the $60k B&W nautilus Just because they are so damn ugly.
Oh, yeah, pretty much any of those $600 subs will be better than that that cheap Infinity sub. :D

I personally don't think $3K for 3 speakers is going to sound "significantly" better than the BP30 after the HONEYMOON period is over. :D

During this honeymoon period, everyone seems to think their new shiny speakers just sound so much better than their old speakers and they can hear all kinds of things they "couldn't hear before". :D

There is a lot of bias.

You can get even get cheaper speakers that might have a better frequency response. But that doesn't guarantee you will actually like the sound better.

But if you have a lot time and energy (unpacking, repacking, and shipping big speakers is a lot of work), you can always try out these new speakers if they offer free shipping both ways.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, yeah, pretty much any of those $600 subs will be better than that that cheap Infinity sub. :D

I personally don't think $3K for 3 speakers is going to sound "significantly" better than the BP30 after the HONEYMOON period is over. :D

During this honeymoon period, everyone seems to think their new shiny speakers just sound so much better than their old speakers and they can hear all kinds of things they "couldn't hear before". :D

There is a lot of bias.

You can get even get cheaper speakers that might have a better frequency response. But that doesn't guarantee you will actually like the sound better.

But if you have a lot time and energy (unpacking, repacking, and shipping big speakers is a lot of work), you can always try out these new speakers if they offer free shipping both ways.
So true. The honeymoon period is real as is expectation bias.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So true. The honeymoon period is real as is expectation bias.
Yeah, it happened to me with every speaker I've bought, including Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, Phil3, etc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you like your all svs set up? I am so tempted just because my def tech are old and boring looking. I don’t even know if my ears are sensitive enough to notice the difference... lol... it is more of a shiny toy for me right now... so it’s between this or a new grill... also because it’s new and shiny
I love my Ultras. They kept me happy for a few years, until I heard speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters. I bought a pair of Ascend Acoustics ribbon towers a few weeks ago and am still getting used to them.

The Ultras are very dynamic, can handle a ton of power and sound great at any volume. Clean, clear and detailed I would say. The towers like a little room to breathe, but I think the same could be said for the BPs also. I do miss the visual impact of the Ultras. As new and shiny goes, piano gloss black Ultras definitely scratch that itch!

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, it happened to me with every speaker I've bought, including Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, Phil3, etc.
You have owned some really expensive speakers. Now that I see the list of speakers you have owned, I am pretty sure the improvement for my $3k budget would be marginal. Especially agree with the honeymoon period comment. Happens to all of us.

So which was your favorite speaker in terms of performance and price balance. Because after a certain number I am thinking the law of diminishing return kicks in.

A

ap2020

Audioholic Intern
I love my Ultras. They kept me happy for a few years, until I heard speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters. I bought a pair of Ascend Acoustics ribbon towers a few weeks ago and am still getting used to them.

The Ultras are very dynamic, can handle a ton of power and sound great at any volume. Clean, clear and detailed I would say. The towers like a little room to breathe, but I think the same could be said for the BPs also. I do miss the visual impact of the Ultras. As new and shiny goes, piano gloss black Ultras definitely scratch that itch!
Glad to hear that you liked the ultras and yes that piano gloss black is beautiful. I just don’t have the room on The side of the speakers for the ultras to breathe, so maybe prime pinnacle would be better??

I looked up Ascend Sierra towers and they are $2200 a pair, are those the ones you got? How would you compare those to the ultras since price is pretty close and they come with 7 yr warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have owned some really expensive speakers. Now that I see the list of speakers you have owned, I am pretty sure the improvement for my $3k budget would be marginal. Especially agree with the honeymoon period comment. Happens to all of us.

So which was your favorite speaker in terms of performance and price balance. Because after a certain number I am thinking the law of diminishing return kicks in.
I think we become very partial to most of the speakers we've owned. So I don't think it's fair to pick one out. :D

Naturally, I think everyone feels that their current speakers are their "favorite". :D

But when I compare STREET prices vs specs vs performance, I think the RBH SVT modular tower (SV831 + SV1212N) is the best bang for my buck. I don't think anything comes close.

BTW, Gene's new reference speakers is the RBH SVTRS, which is the BIG brother of the SVT tower.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Glad to hear that you liked the ultras and yes that piano gloss black is beautiful. I just don’t have the room on The side of the speakers for the ultras to breathe, so maybe prime pinnacle would be better??

I looked up Ascend Sierra towers and they are $2200 a pair, are those the ones you got? How would you compare those to the ultras since price is pretty close and they come with 7 yr warranty.
I got the upgraded version with RAAL ribbon tweeters. That bumped the price up to $3100 with shipping. Link to PDF.

Screenshot_2020-06-11-08-50-35-1.png
raal1.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis