Best AMP under $2000?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just for the heck of it ADTG, here is the latest and greatest Acurus Multi-Channel amp.

I think it sells for around $5100.00

What a total rip-off. :D

$5K for an amp that only has RCA inputs, no XLR inputs?

And they can't even make the speaker posts STRAIGHT? Why are they crooked? :D

When I bought my Acurus 200x3 amps, they were like $1K each. They didn't have XLR inputs either. I guess Acurus doesn't believe in balanced connectors.

I was looking at some of the NEW Aragon amps which are even more rip-off than the Acurus. I didn't see any Balanced inputs either.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
What a total rip-off. :D

$5K for an amp that only has RCA inputs, no XLR inputs?

And they can't even make the speaker posts STRAIGHT? Why are they crooked? :D

When I bought my Acurus 200x3 amps, they were like $1K each. They didn't have XLR inputs either. I guess Acurus doesn't believe in balanced connectors.

I was looking at some of the Aragon amps which are even more rip-off than the Acurus. I didn't see any Balanced inputs either.
Not sure why not having XLR inputs is that big of a deal if the topology of the amp is not balanced, except for longer runs of IC's for better noise rejection.

As for the 'original' Aragon amps being a 'ripoff' , ridiculous !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure why not having XLR inputs is that big of a deal if the topology of the amp is not balanced, except for longer runs of IC's for better noise rejection.

How much are we talking about price wise?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
How much are we talking about price wise?
if you're referring to the Aragon 8008 I bought over twenty years ago I can't even remember what I paid for it. In later years the name was sold off (again can't remember to whom) and the product cheapened.

My old 8008 lives on providing excellent service in my sons kit in Colorado.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I was referring to the NEW Acurus and NEW Aragon amps, not the OLD amps from 30 YEARS AGO.

XLR inputs/outputs are just a "luxury" feature that many people expect from "high-end" electronics - both amps and preamps/pre-pros.

For example, even the Yamaha RX-A3080 Receiver has XLR L/R Inputs and XLR L/R Outputs.

But for $5K or more, some of us do expect fully balanced amps.

I saw the new $4400 Aragon 8008 200W x 2Ch amp in The Absolute Sound review. It does have XLR inputs.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
if you're referring to the Aragon 8008 I bought over twenty years ago I can't even remember what I paid for it. In later years the name was sold off (again can't remember to whom) and the product cheapened.

My old 8008 lives on providing excellent service in my sons kit in Colorado.
Okay, yeah. I interpreted ADTG's comment (which he confirmed above) as referencing the new, ridiculously priced offerings available now. That's why I asked, to see if you guys were talking about the same thing.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I owned the old (Mondial Designs) Acurus A250 power amp and R11 preamp.

Later on, I bought the (Mondial Designs) Aragon 4004 MKII power amp and their 18K preamp with the external power supply.

Incidentally it has to said that these separate electrical devices provided no greater sonic improvements over my older Yamaha integrated amplifier.

Also, it has been mentioned by many technicians in various forums that these early Mondial Design devices lacked protection circuitry. I'll vouch for that. All of their amps I owned were completely devoid of any protection to the speakers. I cringe when I think of that now.

And I too think that the recent Acurus/Aragon models from Indy Audio Labs are over priced.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I owned the old (Mondial Designs) Acurus A250 power amp and R11 preamp.

Later on, I bought the (Mondial Designs) Aragon 4004 MKII power amp and their 18K preamp with the external power supply.

Incidentally it has to said that these separate electrical devices provided no greater sonic improvements over my older Yamaha integrated amplifier.

Also, it has been mentioned by many technicians in various forums that these early Mondial Design devices lacked protection circuitry. I'll vouch for that. All of their amps I owned were completely devoid of any protection to the speakers. I cringe when I think of that now.

And I too think that the recent Acurus/Aragon models from Indy Audio Labs are over priced.
Yeah when I found out my 4 Acurus 200x3 amps didn’t have any speaker protection circuits from @TLS Guy, I put all my Acurus amps on eBay the next day. :D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I looked at the Monolith 5 channel and it's a possibility. What do you guys think of the Beale Street Audio BAV4250 and have you found a good mail order source for it? If the quality is as good as the Monolith it might be a good choice for an old man, as it's about 50 lbs lighter. lol

Attachments

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Anyone using the Beale Street Audio BAV4250? How would you compare it to the Monolith? Thanks!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you'd get everything you'd need from Monoprice Monolith. Those amps are legit. Clean, powerful, built by a very solid company (ATI) AND... under $2000. You can get the 7 channel for under 2k!

Don't get too wrapped up in a bunch of subjective reviews from people who like to use dessert flavors to describe the sound. I think a lot of it is in their heads.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I think you'd get everything you'd need from Monoprice Monolith. Those amps are legit. Clean, powerful, built by a very solid company (ATI) AND... under $2000. You can get the 7 channel for under 2k!

Don't get too wrapped up in a bunch of subjective reviews from people who like to use dessert flavors to describe the sound. I think a lot of it is in their heads.
But what about that Chocolately midrange we all love so much? :p

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I agree it is better to do it just in case and definitely do it if the amp is used close to it's limit (like 50% during peaks) and/or there is visible deterioration to the caps. In reality a lot of people probably should not expect an audible difference as it depends. In my experience, I hear no difference, and measured no difference before and after recapping my over 35 years old (at the time of recap) Marantz SM-7, and those are big caps too.
How do you know when your AMP needs to be recapped? you Say you can’t tell after so was it just preventative maintenance?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, so what's the best amp under $2,000?
Best amp for everyone is different.

For some, probably a few year old pre-owned ATI amp.

I sold a few of my ATI amps I’ve used in my system for way under $2K.

Next best thing would be an ATI-made amp from Outlaw and Monoprice.

Personally for my speaker systems, assuming Yamaha is extremely reliable, I think the Yamaha MX-A5000/5200 is the best under $2K.

But there is a “best” amp for everyone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis