D

Dougslifka

Audiophyte
I have a pioneer vsx 520 with klipsch ht 500 speaker system attached. Everything was great until I connected a Pyle pss4 zone selector going to 2 outdoor speakers.

Now the pioneer is overheating almost immediately.

What have I done wrong?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a pioneer vsx 520 with klipsch ht 500 speaker system attached. Everything was great until I connected a Pyle pss4 zone selector going to 2 outdoor speakers.

What have I done wrong?
Welcome to AH :)

Looks like that zone selector or the way those speakers are wired is a very low Ohm load hence the overheat.

But others will also opine, I am sure. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What have I done wrong?
Well since you did not tell us how you connected it, it is hard to say.
The next question is were you running more than one set of speakers at once? If yes, then you can not do that with your receiver.

The next question is to ask you, what is the impedance of the outside speakers?

The final question and what I'm really worried about is how those outside speakers are wired. Are they wired independently as a stereo pair or together as a mono pair, which is quite common in out door speakers? If so then you have probably connected the left and right speaker outputs of your receiver together. If that is the case, then your receiver is probably toast and done for.

Those are the possibilities I can think of.

D

Dougslifka

Audiophyte
Welcome to AH :)

Looks like that zone selector or the way those speakers are wired is a very low Ohm load hence the overheat.

But others will also opine, I am sure. ;)
So wiring outdoor speakers in series might help?

D

Dougslifka

Audiophyte
Well since you did not tell us how you connected it, it is hard to say.
The next question is were you running more than one set of speakers at once? If yes, then you can not do that with your receiver.

The next question is to ask you, what is the impedance of the outside speakers?

The final question and what I'm really worried about is how those outside speakers are wired. Are they wired independently as a stereo pair or together as a mono pair, which is quite common in out door speakers? If so then you have probably connected the left and right speaker outputs of your receiver together. If that is the case, then your receiver is probably toast and done for.

Those are the possibilities I can think of.
I am only running one set of speakers at a time and I do have the protection switch activated.
My outdoor speakers are very old 6 ohm wired independently as a stereo pair ... not connected to one another.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So wiring outdoor speakers in series might help?
You can not be helped. You are parsimonious with your information to an extreme.

What outdoor speakers do you have?

Exactly how did you wire all this? Pictures would be very helpful.

How are the outdoor speakers wired now. Again pictures would be helpful.

No, do not wire the speakers in series.

When we have this information we can then help you. If you can not provide that there is no useful help.

Now if you plan using all speakers at once, that will require an impedance matching switch. However that will seriously degrade and limit the output of your Klipsch speakers.

If you want outside sound then you need some type of wireless system for your outside speakers.

These sort of endeavors frequently end up on the rocks.

D

Dougslifka

Audiophyte
You can not be helped. You are parsimonious with your information to an extreme.

What outdoor speakers do you have?

Exactly how did you wire all this? Pictures would be very helpful.

How are the outdoor speakers wired now. Again pictures would be helpful.

No, do not wire the speakers in series.

When we have this information we can then help you. If you can not provide that there is no useful help.

Now if you plan using all speakers at once, that will require an impedance matching switch. However that will seriously degrade and limit the output of your Klipsch speakers.

If you want outside sound then you need some type of wireless system for your outside speakers.

I will post pictures tomorrow...sorry to be dumb and thank you for trying and working w me

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am only running one set of speakers at a time and I do have the protection switch activated.
My outdoor speakers are very old 6 ohm wired independently as a stereo pair ... not connected to one another.
OK, so does it work if just connected to your Klipsch speakers, or only when connected to the outdoor speakers? If the latter then the voice coils of those old speakers are probably corroded and shorted due to weather and age.

The first thing to do is to measure the DC resistance of those speakers. I have a feeling they will be shorted or close. It was very unwise to connect old outdoor speakers to a receiver, without doing a extensive checks on them.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

Parsimonious is now the word of the day. I love a good turn of a phrase. That's the best I have read today.
I shall endeavor to use it several times today to give it its due.

D

Dougslifka

Audiophyte
Ok..be nice..I know I'm cheap. Start over ..and see pictures.
In my original post you see the equipment im using. I tested and trashed the old deck speakers and for the moment place 2 rca speakers outside (see pic)
Receiver is stereo mode so all 4 speakers are in play.
Receiver is wired as follows:
From receiver directly to surround right and left
From receiver to Pyle switch is front right and left

From switch is
Zone a is: inside speakers right and left
Zone b: nothing
Zone c: nothing
Zone d: outside right and left

I made sure all connections are separated and strong

So far receiver is doing well (little heat). Been playing on deck for 30 min at low but appropriate level.
I feel that inside is not right in that when zone deck is playing I still get sound in living room from sub and surrounds.
I have to shrink pics to send so they will come next.

Happy to start over with guidance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pics wont resize...can I email you them
You using Windows? Should be easy to right click on the photo file, select edit and resize to your parameters in paint. Or use a photo hosting service and link that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

maybe that works
OK, so now we are getting somewhere. Your switch is wired correctly.

So obviously your most serious and dangerous problem was that the VCs of you old outdoor speakers were shorted.

Now you will get sound from you sub when you play the outside speakers. You will have to switch the sub off to stop that. Or else you would have to go to the set up menu every time you switch from outside to inside speakers, which would not be handy. I would just switch the sub on and off. The outdoor speakers will not receive bass below sub crossover, but that is no big deal, as small outside speakers will not respond to bass anyway.

Unfortunately your receiver does not have a zone 2, and you would normally do what you want via zone 2. So your implementation will always be a little awkward.

If your surrounds are playing then you are not in 2 channel stereo mode for some reason. So you are likely not setting the receiver correctly. I have looked at your manual, and to listen in stereo (2 channel) then you have to press stereo ALC.

If with this button pressed your still hear your surrounds, then check that there are no shoring whiskers on the speaker connection on your receiver. If everything is in order and you still hear the surrounds, then your receiver is faulty and you can not correct that. Your surrounds working has nothing to do with the switch or outdoor speakers.

I think we have done as much to help you as we can. I hope you now see why we have to have really full information. We can not help you otherwise. At least you made Bucknecked's day, so congrats on that. I see you also made Alex2507's day. He positively salivates when I have to deal with posts like yours.

D

Dougslifka

Audiophyte
Thank you..all makes sense now and when I slow down and think it through. The little heat I can deal with...and I will switch to true stereo as suggested.....THANK YOU.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you..all makes sense now and when I slow down and think it through. The little heat I can deal with...and I will switch to true stereo as suggested.....THANK YOU.
You are welcome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis