Is it ok to piece together a system with different brand speakers, some older, some new?

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
I have a Polk audio TSx150c center speaker that I bought a few years ago. My surround speakers are old Bose cube speakers. I’m looking to get new front tower speakers. Yamaha NS-150 have caught my eye and I would also get a new subwoofer. My existing receiver is a Denon AVR E300. Does this sound like it would work Ok? I’m interested in high quality sound but I’m not a complete audiophile (though I could see becoming one). Any tips you have on piecing together a system, or if that‘s just not a good idea, would be appreciated. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Polk audio TSx150c center speaker that I bought a few years ago. My surround speakers are old Bose cube speakers. I’m looking to get new front tower speakers. Yamaha NS-150 have caught my eye and I would also get a new subwoofer. My existing receiver is a Denon AVR E300. Does this sound like it would work Ok? I’m interested in high quality sound but I’m not a complete audiophile (though I could see becoming one). Any tips you have on piecing together a system, or if that‘s just not a good idea, would be appreciated. Thanks!
I don't think Bose cubes are suitable as surrounds.

The front three should match well. However really good speakers match well. However with less good speakers what you are really doing is error matching. This makes it less likely that one speakers will stand out and not blend. Picking speakers from the same manufacturer is no guarantee of success. Manufacturers just abound where different models can sound very different, with no consistency at all. That is something I always find astonishing, although I must admit that getting consistency in designs does require experience. The most important thing I find is that all speakers have a good smooth midband response an uniform off axis dispersion. In home theater beaming is a real enemy. Good speakers do well pretty much what ever you do with them.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
I don't think Bose cubes are suitable as surrounds.

The front three should match well. However really good speakers match well. However with less good speakers what you are really doing is error matching. This makes it less likely that one speakers will stand out and not blend. Picking speakers from the same manufacturer is no guarantee of success. Manufacturers just abound where different models can sound very different, with no consistency at all. That is something I always find astonishing, although I must admit that getting consistency in designs does require experience. The most important thing I find is that all speakers have a good smooth midband response an uniform off axis dispersion. In home theater beaming is a real enemy. Good speakers do well pretty much what ever you do with them.
Thanks for your reply. Any experience with Yamahas? How do you gauge “good smooth midband response an uniform off axis dispersion”?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I can’t help but wonder, you haven’t been to other forums lately? Any other’s that you may have dropped in on? Ummm just a guess Polk “Clubhouse” or AVS forum? I’ll “I’m not a complete audiophile, though I could see becoming one”. First what you have now and what your planing on getting in the near yes or will do in 5.1. Use what you have till you can upgrade. Now nothing wrong with using “audio junky” Terminology I have picked some great tips and help from some of the Brightest minds on forums Especially from one’s with Bachelor of science degrees. Some may not have their Masters think Doctors. ;) just plan old Bachelor of science in whatever field they went in.
Some understand the Use of analyzers meters and a Oscilloscope, not but not Like the ones that the medical doctors use to check your heart rate. They save life’s those others can not they just help you spend more money to help you become a Audiophile people like them. Great bunch of fellows First time I saw the words “going up the food chain”. was used in here on AH. The guy that used that “Going up the food chain” was telling everyone in here on AH how much he loved his new RBH speaker’s that most of them Recommended he get
that they where a whole Different kind of speaker. Oh if I may make a Suggestion? Never say a amp is a person or bottom feeder they will get really mad, guess some of them eat from the top of the food chain they don’t like mixing up their food with bottom end or feeder at the same time. Welcome to AH!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How much are you looking to spend? I have used some Yamaha towers and they were pretty good. I asked about budget mostly because I would toss the blose cubes in the garbage, and try to include some surrounds with the purchase. What are the LE mains currently?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Your Left, Right, and Center Channel Speakers should all Match from the same Manufacturer and the same Line.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
How much are you looking to spend? I have used some Yamaha towers and they were pretty good. I asked about budget mostly because I would toss the blose cubes in the garbage, and try to include some surrounds with the purchase. What are the LE mains currently?
Well, I have a way to get the Yamaha NS-F150 towers and a Yamaha 10” NS-SW100 subwoofer for free. I’m also willing to spend up to around 3 grand if necessary. I’d hate to throw away the Polk center speaker and I’d totally get new surrounds. I’m trying to figure out if it’s best to keep taking a mix-and-match approach on the cheap and have it be good enough or if I should spend some money to get a better experience. If the mix and match will sound pretty good and better than what I have now, I’d be happy but I don’t want it to sound like crap.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
Well, I have a way to get the Yamaha NS-F150 towers and a Yamaha 10” NS-SW100 subwoofer for free. I’m also willing to spend up to around 3 grand if necessary. I’d hate to throw away the Polk center speaker and I’d totally get new surrounds. I’m trying to figure out if it’s best to keep taking a mix-and-match approach on the cheap and have it be good enough or if I should spend some money to get a better experience. If the mix and match will sound pretty good and better than what I have now, I’d be happy but I don’t want it to sound like crap.
And if LE Mains mean my right and left speakers, they are old Infinity bookshelf speakers from the 90s. They aren’t great.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, I think mix n match is great. I do believe in having “matching” speaker at least from the same line. But M&M can work great until you get where you want. I think once a person spends some QT listening things become apparent that they dislike(sometimes they don’t even know), and then get dealt with. All that stuff for free sounds like a great deal. Especially if you have some money to play with. I would try the center with the 150’s for awhile and see if it would work for awhile.

Oops. LE mains was autocorrect. I meant “the” mains. Yes I’d move them to surround duty, toss the bose cubes, and invest in a good subwoofer. The Yamaha sub won’t be very good. Could use it in a BR system, or garage etc.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Mixing speakers across the front is not the best idea but if it’s all you can do and it’s free you might as well try it and see. However you mention you’d have 3k to spend...you could put together a stellar 5.1 (or better yet 5.2) system for that kind of money, the kind of system you could potentially be happy with for a lifetime. So the question really is do you want to go the free route or invest in a system?
Good news is that if you haven’t heard a well put together system you aren’t going to know what you’re missing and ignorance can be bliss. But if you heard a properly integrated 3k system with a real sub or two, you won’t be able to go back.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
Mixing speakers across the front is not the best idea but if it’s all you can do and it’s free you might as well try it and see. However you mention you’d have 3k to spend...you could put together a stellar 5.1 (or better yet 5.2) system for that kind of money, the kind of system you could potentially be happy with for a lifetime. So the question really is do you want to go the free route or invest in a system?
Good news is that if you haven’t heard a well put together system you aren’t going to know what you’re missing and ignorance can be bliss. But if you heard a properly integrated 3k system with a real sub or two, you won’t be able to go back.
Great advice, from all. Hence my dilemma. Just for arguments sake, what would you suggest for the stellar 5.1 or 5.2 system for 3 grand? I could always move the M&M stuff to the basement for the kids.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Great advice, from all. Hence my dilemma. Just for arguments sake, what would you suggest for the stellar 5.1 or 5.2 system for 3 grand? I could always move the M&M stuff to the basement for the kids.
How big is the room? Asking since it’s relevant for subwoofer recs.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
As WL noted room size will play a role especially because *most* of us on here, for home theater applications, are going to recommend a good chunk of that budget go towards your sub(s). Once we know that we’ll have a better handle on leftover budget and what to potentially look at. Lots of great brands to choose from with that budget.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
As WL noted room size will play a role especially because *most* of us on here, for home theater applications, are going to recommend a good chunk of that budget go towards your sub(s). Once we know that we’ll have a better handle on leftover budget and what to potentially look at. Lots of great brands to choose from with that budget.
Good point. while the room is a bigger, the theater space viewing/listening area is 16’ wide by 25” long. It’s a little narrower where the tv is, 9 feet. But the main viewing area gets to 16 foot. Surround speakers are mounted on the back wall.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just ordered a pair of Sierra Ribbon towers from them. I found a pair of Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers on Craigslist for $650 and jumped on them. Now I'm spoiled by the RAAL tweets!

Okay, Zim. Welcome to the forums! If you can get the Yamaha speakers and subs for free that's kind of a no brainer. Grab 'em and hook 'em up! Ideally you want to at least match the front 3 L/R and center channel. Surround speakers are where I cut corners if I have to. You don't wanna skimp on a sub or your main speakers tho.

I suggest getting the NS 150s for free and live with them for a while. Yamaha does make some pretty decent speakers, not so much with subs tho, ime. See if you can pick out things you like or don't like about them and post your impressions. You may be happy with your free speakers and be done right there. Or if you find faults or something is lacking that you can identify we can offer suggestions for other speakers. 3k is a nice chunk to play with for speakers and subs.

If there's one thing I've learned with this hobby it's that patience is a virtue. Take the time, do the homework and try to sharpen up your listening skills. Nothing sucks more than getting new gear, hoping for improvements only to be disappointed again. If you're unsure what it is you're looking for it can get expensive fast. Companies like SVS Aperion and Fluance that offer 30-45 day in home, risk free trials are a great option as well. With SVS you have 45 days to decide whether or not to keep them. If you don't like them for any reason at all, they'll pay the return shipping and refund your money. You can't lose.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
I just ordered a pair of Sierra Ribbon towers from them. I found a pair of Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers on Craigslist for $650 and jumped on them. Now I'm spoiled by the RAAL tweets!

Okay, Zim. Welcome to the forums! If you can get the Yamaha speakers and subs for free that's kind of a no brainer. Grab 'em and hook 'em up! Ideally you want to at least match the front 3 L/R and center channel. Surround speakers are where I cut corners if I have to. You don't wanna skimp on a sub or your main speakers tho.

I suggest getting the NS 150s for free and live with them for a while. Yamaha does make some pretty decent speakers, not so much with subs tho, ime. See if you can pick out things you like or don't like about them and post your impressions. You may be happy with your free speakers and be done right there. Or if you find faults or something is lacking that you can identify we can offer suggestions for other speakers. 3k is a nice chunk to play with for speakers and subs.

If there's one thing I've learned with this hobby it's that patience is a virtue. Take the time, do the homework and try to sharpen up your listening skills. Nothing sucks more than getting new gear, hoping for improvements only to be disappointed again. If you're unsure what it is you're looking for it can get expensive fast. Companies like SVS Aperion and Fluance that offer 30-45 day in home, risk free trials are a great option as well. With SVS you have 45 days to decide whether or not to keep them. If you don't like them for any reason at all, they'll pay the return shipping and refund your money. You can't lose.
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations for a subwoofer/s?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations for a subwoofer/s?
I just love SVS both as a company and for their products. Their top shelf stuff is really nice, but you can do just about as well performance-wise for less with Hsu Research.

You don't have a small room, but you might be able to get away with a pair of 12" subs in that space. A pair of VTF-2 MK5s from Hsu might do the trick. They're true performers and about the best bang for your buck that I've found. My subs are from Hsu.

SVS is running a sale on dual subs right now too, if you order 2 you'll get an additional 5% off. SVS might cost a little more, but I think they have better aesthetics, a risk free 45 day trial and stellar customer service. I bought my 5.0 Ultra speakers from them and they have gone WAY above and beyond for me more than a couple of times. Once you're in their ecosystem it's tough to get out!

SVS' 2000 series has had a recent price cut and I believe the extra 5% off still applies if you go dual. That's probably as small as I'd consider from them for you, and nudge you toward the 3000 series but that'd eat up way too much of your budget.

Here's a link to their outlet too, since they have a Memorial Day blowout going on.

Hsu Research has some legit heavy hitters too with more focus on performance and less on aesthetics. Smallest I'd wanna go in your boat would be a pair of VTF-2 MK5s.
I have a pair of these (price in the link below is for 2 of them). My room dimensions are a little bigger and I have vaulted ceilings so I went with 15s.

Z

Zim444

Enthusiast
I just love SVS both as a company and for their products. Their top shelf stuff is really nice, but you can do just about as well performance-wise for less with Hsu Research.

You don't have a small room, but you might be able to get away with a pair of 12" subs in that space. A pair of VTF-2 MK5s from Hsu might do the trick. They're true performers and about the best bang for your buck that I've found. My subs are from Hsu.

SVS is running a sale on dual subs right now too, if you order 2 you'll get an additional 5% off. SVS might cost a little more, but I think they have better aesthetics, a risk free 45 day trial and stellar customer service. I bought my 5.0 Ultra speakers from them and they have gone WAY above and beyond for me more than a couple of times. Once you're in their ecosystem it's tough to get out!

SVS' 2000 series has had a recent price cut and I believe the extra 5% off still applies if you go dual. That's probably as small as I'd consider from them for you, and nudge you toward the 3000 series but that'd eat up way too much of your budget.

Here's a link to their outlet too, since they have a Memorial Day blowout going on.

Hsu Research has some legit heavy hitters too with more focus on performance and less on aesthetics. Smallest I'd wanna go in your boat would be a pair of VTF-2 MK5s.
I have a pair of these (price in the link below is for 2 of them). My room dimensions are a little bigger and I have vaulted ceilings so I went with 15s.
Looks like great stuff. Where do you put those things? thats going to be a tough sell for my wife, taking up that much space in the living room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like great stuff. Where do you put those things? thats going to be a tough sell for my wife, taking up that much space in the living room.
I'm the wrong guy to ask when it comes to compromising for looks. Mine are right up front. My wife likes our system and uses it a lot when I'm not home. I don't think she'd be very happy if you took her subs away, lol. Besides that, it is a shared space, right?

Did you look at the PC2000 cylinder sub? It's a different form factor with a smaller footprint. Those are a little easier to tuck into a corner or maybe behind some furniture. Your room will mostly determine where a sub will work best, but having 2 of them helps a lot with that and can give you some more flexibility. A sub will see the whole space space that's open to it and you have a large-ish area to fill. That can work to your advantage too tho, because you don't necessarily have to have both subs right there in your listening area. A corner in the opposite side of the room for one of them would probably be a good thing, actually for smoothing out your response.

You could also go sealed if you absolutely must have a smaller form factor, but I would definitely go with 15" subs. Hsu makes a pretty nice looking sealed 15" sub too, and they are still pretty powerful. I would also consider them one of Hsu's top shelf products. I think the rosewood finish looks pretty nice too and might actually work with your aesthetic.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis