RIP my Onkyo TX NR1007

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Hey, haven't stopped by in a while, sadly my Onkyo TX NR1007 has passed after 12 years of hard labor. I think its the HDMI Board from what I can figure from research. Recently It wouldnt always switch with that lovely "click", it would take several tries, turning on/off, now powers up and nothing. Figure fixing isnt really an option. Now what to get/do. THoughts similar experiences? Further easy test ideas? Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
12 years of service is pretty good!

My Denon AVP-A1HDCI only lasted about 8 years.

So I say buy a new AVR and hope it lasts another 10YR+.

Time for you to shop for another AVR. :D

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Started browsing in a bit, takes so much out of me mentally :) haven't been following tech for a long time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For audio, the latest is Atmos and DTSX.

For video, the upcoming is HDMI 2.1 for 8K video- just in case everyone has an 8K TV in 5-10 years. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As a replacement for your Onkyo receiver, you can get good prices for 2018 models which I would recommend, unless you wish to go for separates (pre-processor & power amps).
Two AVRs which would provide about the same power output as your Onkyo:
If you don't need or use room equalization: I would favor the Yamaha RX-A2080 - If you need room correction EQ, I would recommend that you rather check the Denon AVR-X4500H
Don't hesitate to come back for additional recommendations.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
As a replacement for your Onkyo receiver, you can get good prices for 2018 models which I would recommend, unless you wish to go for separates (pre-processor & power amps).
Two AVRs which would provide about the same power output as your Onkyo:
If you don't need or use room equalization: I would favor the Yamaha RX-A2080 - If you need room correction EQ, I would recommend that you rather check the Denon AVR-X4500H
Don't hesitate to come back for additional recommendations.

The Yamaha is looking pretty good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I take it you never needed the hdmi/network board extended warranty for that model (affected Onkyo/Integra models 2009-12, the extended warranty expired in 2018)? Or is this after repair under the program?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Yamaha is looking pretty good.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I take it you never needed the hdmi/network board extended warranty for that model (affected Onkyo/Integra models 2009-12, the extended warranty expired in 2018)? Or is this after repair under the program?
I was never aware of such programs or problems. Purchased in 2010.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I feel like saying that the Onkyo of 2010 was probably a lot more reliable than the recent Onkyo models- like the saying "They just don't make it like they used to". :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty large number of units had the issue, and they did a great job under the extended warranty IMO (I have a model from that period and the complete turnaround including all shipping was paid for by Onkyo, and it was a quick turnaround....and my unit runs cooler than before). You can read about it here if you like....

I feel like saying that the Onkyo of 2010 was probably a lot more reliable than the recent Onkyo models- like the saying "They just don't make it like they used to". :D
What issues with more recent models are being reported? That either time period compares with say 2008 or before....meh.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
...as a side note, is the Onkyo still good for anything, besides anchor, door stop etc...?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
...as a side note, is the Onkyo still good for anything, besides anchor, door stop etc...?
Have you done a factory/microprocessor reset?

Are sources with other digital input besides hdmi still working? Are the analog only side of things still working? Or is it a complete brick ready for recycling?

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
i need to try checking some of these. UPDATE - I plugged in my old Wii via the front AUX port (RCA) still nothing, would it be 'stuck' in a HDMI mode?

Last edited:
DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
What kind of external power amplifier (pre-main amplifier) would it take to drive the 11.2 w/ the Yamaha rx a3080? and can the old Onkyo do it? thanks again. what about 7.2.2 vs 11.2 , bit confused on this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i need to try checking some of these. UPDATE - I plugged in my old Wii via the front AUX port (RCA) still nothing, would it be 'stuck' in a HDMI mode?
Can you access the input assignments to see?

What kind of external power amplifier (pre-main amplifier) would it take to drive the 11.2 w/ the Yamaha rx a3080? and can the old Onkyo do it? thanks again. what about 7.2.2 vs 11.2 , bit confused on this
Not sure what you mean by pre-main amplifier. The 3080 has 9 channels of amps on board, you can add a 2ch amp to get 11 channels of processing (in various formats) via appropriate pre-outs, as to specifics as to what channel options check the 3080's manual.

Did you get the old Onkyo to work as an amp, especially as per the previous post using an analog input didn't work? If the analog/amp section of the Onkyo is working, you could use the multich inputs to have the 1007 act as power amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis