I want to incorporate a sub in an old 2-channel music system, please advise.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure of the surround material but you might have the lower drivers actually have started to fall apart on you after the number of years. Replacement drivers are a good lower cost solution to sub-woofer price.
Boston's have been using rubber surrounds for ages. Mine are fine and they're 20 years old. His are most likely fine as well.

B

BeeTee

Enthusiast
Unfortunately enthusiasts like yourself are no longer well served by the market. [...]

If you want new with digital audio capability and the option of a sub with bass management then you actually only have one option. [...] this integrated amp from Outlaw Audio.
Thank you again for this very practical (or as the business jargon goes, "actionable") advice. I may well pull the trigger on that Outlaw receiver, though I'll have to make adjustments (probably just taking the back panel off of my shelving unit) to accommodate the depth of the receiver and plugs.

(When poking around online, I came across one other well-reviewed stereo unit, albeit more expensive than my target budget, the Peachtree Nova 150. That unit (and the higher-powered 300 version, which is the one that seems to have been most widely reviewed) lacks bass management and several other features of the Outlaw, but received gushing praise from reviewers and has some nice features for streaming from digital sources such as an iPad. I've completely wandered away from the original topic of this thread, but if anyone has thoughts about or experience with either the Outlaw or the Peachtree, please jump in.)

I'm definitely tempted to upgrade the cartridge, and that Ortofon Black looks like another superb recommendation, (though I'm reluctant to commit to $500 to replace the stylus).

Once again, thanks for helping me to cut through the thicket of audio upgrade possibilities!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You need to view most reviews (without measurements with care!
Any magazine reviewer is likely reviewing a product from a company that advertises with the magazine (indirectly pays the reviewer). Essentially it becomes a "don't bite the hand that feeds" scenario for a reviewer!
This could be a fluke, but here is a review with measurements of a different Peachtree Audio Nova Preamp/DAC done by a hobbiest (Amirm does not get paid by the manufacturer):
Conclusions
Measurements show the Peachtree Nova to be underperforming the many alternatives we have today. Its tube is a marketing and visual gimmick with no value whatsoever. Quality control does not seem good given the failed pre-outs. Even if you can find this used at low price, I recommend looking elsewhere.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I found a pre that meets your size criteria:
The Outlaw 975 preamp is only 10" deep!
Unfortunately it is out of stock which, in todays uncertain times could mean many things, but call them to see when you get the chance.
You would still need an amp, but I think finding an amp that is 12" deep would be easier than the pre, so think there may be some decent options. I know Crown makes some pro amps hat are about 10" deep, but they are 19" wide (I don't know if the rack "ears" can be removed), but I think the 975 is a promising option!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a 10" deep pro amp which appears to have removable ears.
I think this would work, but would like more input from others!

@Verdinut ?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 976 is 11 inches....
Thanks, I did not consider that because I was thinking in terms of the minimum required, but the 976 might have some nice upgrades?
Seems like the 975 was around $600! With Outlaws recent price increases, I don't know if that will stick ... or they may have simply discontinued it!
I'm not sure what added features the 976 brings to the table. As I understand it 4K is not a concern.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I did not consider that because I was thinking in terms of the minimum required, but the 976 might have some nice upgrades?
Seems like the 975 was around $600! With Outlaws recent price increases, I don't know if that will stick ... or they may have simply discontinued it!
I'm not sure what added features the 976 brings to the table. As I understand it 4K is not a concern.
975 was discontinued and replaced with the 976 a while back IIRC, do they still have some 975 left? Not sure what the differences are but up to date processing for everything in the way of a/v codecs wasn't their thing IIRC.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
975 was discontinued and replaced with the 976 a while back IIRC, do they still have some 975 left? Not sure what the differences are but up to date processing for everything in the way of a/v codecs wasn't their thing IIRC.
I am not sure. I thought the 975 was discontinued but it still shows on there website as out of stock. Maybe there are still a few in a warehouse or in the pipeline. Or maybe they still have the capacity to make more and are not totally committed to getting rid of it.
... Or maybe they are just slack about removing it from their website!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am not sure. I thought the 975 was discontinued but it still shows on there website as out of stock. Maybe there are still a few in a warehouse or in the pipeline. Or maybe they still have the capacity to make more and are not totally committed to getting rid of it.
... Or maybe they are just slack about removing it from their website!
Their website has always been a bit funky....might leave old gear up for descriptive purposes but think the 975 has been out of stock for quite a while now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I found a pre that meets your size criteria:
The Outlaw 975 preamp is only 10" deep!
Unfortunately it is out of stock which, in todays uncertain times could mean many things, but call them to see when you get the chance.
You would still need an amp, but I think finding an amp that is 12" deep would be easier than the pre, so think there may be some decent options. I know Crown makes some pro amps hat are about 10" deep, but they are 19" wide (I don't know if the rack "ears" can be removed), but I think the 975 is a promising option!
Just wanted to point out that Outlaw does have this in stock as B-stock.
I have ordered B-stock from them before and would not hesitate to do it again!
Link:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis