Towards my first surround speakers setup - 5.1.4 (please help)

S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I am trying to design my first surround system setup in my living room.

Below is what I am planning to have

My ceiling it low and dry wall ceiling. I want to go for Klipsch as a safe bet.

a) Front Speakers
RP8060FA (dolby Atmos) - front left and front right
RP404C - Center Channel
SPL 120 -Sub woofer
RP-4000F - rear left and rear right

Does the above setup work

a) is it okay to have rears less powerful than the front?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
find a better Subwoofer. The brand doesn't need to match.

Rears and Surrounds usually use less power than the Mains and Center. You want those Front 3 to match as closely as possible. The rest, not so much to worry about. :)

One last note... with Atmos enabled speakers like your fronts, Geometry is important. You want the angle to be bouncing off the ceiling and coming back at your ears, more or less. Off by a little, maybe not so bad. But by a lot, and you will lose the effect.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Ryan. A different subwoofer should be on the list. And if you’re going to go with “Atmos Enabled”, I would go with modules that can be positioned separately from the mains. AE speakers can take a lot of fussing with to get the effect right.
Here’s a doodle I made for a completely different thread, but the idea is to show how the “bounce” might be affected by different ceiling/speaker heights.

You’ll need some imagination to see how changing the angle of an AE speaker would work, but just try to imagine a bank shot when shooting pool. It’s kinda like that.
Again, this is not really to a “spec” but just to kinda see how changing some variables might help or hurt the installation.

S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
Thank you Sir for your response.

a) the front 3 are equal level series (sorry not sure how to use tech terms on that). Atleast that is what they recommend for front by klipsch
b) i have attached pics of my living room.
Flat ceiling, dry wall ceiling, sectional sofa, carpet and pretty basic. The below pic is my TV pov.

my only problem is my ceiling is low (82inch from ground up). Not sure if it is a prob

few more ques if you can answer pls
a) do you think i should go for bookshelf (RP500m) or floorstanding (rp-4000f) for my rears?
b) should i ease on dolby atmos and go for rp8000f simple floor standing? (Considering my ceiling)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would say, put together the best 5.x system you can. Worry about atmos later.
Get 2 good subs if you can, or at least 1 very good sub now, then a matching second one later.

Atmos can wait til you are ready to do it on the right terms. Do not force it.

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
MHO, forget the Atmos enabled speakers.
Find a way to install ceiling speakers either in of on the ceiling, or use something like the SVS Prime Elevation speakers mounted on the side walls at the ceiling intersection. If you can't find a way to do Atmos reasonably right, stick with a 5 or 7 speaker base system for now.

S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much ✌
i will go with a 5.x system for now and then later upgrade to atmos.

Also will get a bigger sub. Thanks again guys

S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
How did I forget this. Can someone help me choose a receiver as well?

I have finally decided to get the below:
ModelCount
RP8000f
2​
Rp404C
1​
SPl120
2​

Like recommended, I am going with a 5.1 setup first. I want to get a 7.1 receiver for future proof.

What should I get? Denon or Pioneer or Marantz? Model numbers if you know any?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
MHO, forget the Atmos enabled speakers.
Find a way to install ceiling speakers either in of on the ceiling, or use something like the SVS Prime Elevation speakers mounted on the side walls at the ceiling intersection. If you can't find a way to do Atmos reasonably right, stick with a 5 or 7 speaker base system for now.
I agree. I think Atmos can be a great way to experience a movie but you gotta do it right. If you just can't, then I'd say redirect your Atmos speaker money into upgrading the others (or subwoofage!) if there's enough to do it with. Or just pocket the savings. That said, the Prime Elevation route would be the way I would go before bouncy house speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How did I forget this. Can someone help me choose a receiver as well?

I have finally decided to get the below:
ModelCount
RP8000f
2​
Rp404C
1​
SPl120
2​

Like recommended, I am going with a 5.1 setup first. I want to get a 7.1 receiver for future proof.

What should I get? Denon or Pioneer or Marantz? Model numbers if you know any?
The Denon X3500H for $599 on Amazon is about the best deal going for a solid AVR with very good room correction capabilities like XT32, full set of preouts (you could add amplification down the road, should you choose) and independant sub outputs. All desirable features, imo and has room for more speakers down the road.

*Edit: Hopefully that deal is available to you. I'm assuming you're in the states?

Last edited:
S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation and yes, I am in the states and forget the price and what would be the best 7.2 channel 4k receiver?

My eye currently is on Denon AVR-X1600H(2019). can you check the specs and let me know if its better than 3500H. (Also I dont see 3500H in Denon site which probably means discontinued).

Thank you

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation and yes, I am in the states and forget the price and what would be the best 7.2 channel 4k receiver?

My eye currently is on Denon AVR-X1600H(2019). can you check the specs and let me know if its better than 3500H. (Also I dont see 3500H in Denon site which probably means discontinued).

Thank you
The 3500 pretty much blows the 1600 out of the water. The X3600H is a newer version of the same model, but also a significant jump in price. If you really mean what you say when you say forget about the price there's always these babies...

Denon X8500H

Marantz SR8012

S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
I didn't mean I am rich. I get good empoyee discount from below sites (denon.com, pioneer.com or marantz.com)

hence, the real question was: which 7.1 is the best among the above brands that i can buy off their sites (implying the newer models)
do any of the below from site match X3500?
1) avrx2600h
2) avrx1600h

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't mean I am rich. I get good empoyee discount from below sites (denon.com, pioneer.com or marantz.com)

hence, the real question was: which 7.1 is the best among the above brands that i can buy off their sites (implying the newer models)
do any of the below from site match X3500?
1) avrx2600h
2) avrx1600h

All the cool features I listed for the 3500 are nonexistent in those 2 models. Look at it this way, the higher the number the more features and power you can expect. Both the 1600 and 2600 series are steps down. They're a model year newer, but I find them lacking and wouldn't want them. The 3*** series is as low down the ladder as I'd want to go.

Marantz and Denon are the same company and their receivers share more in common than differences so I'm a Marantz fan too. For Marantz I would look at the 6*** series and up. I own a SR6011 (current model is the 6014) and it does everything I need it to, plus some. My main desires were a full set of preouts, independant sub outs and XT32 for room correction. Both the Denon 3*** series and Marantz 6*** series and up is what I'd recommend.

So... with all that in mind, I think the 3500 is about as good a deal as you're going to find in a receiver of that caliber in that price range.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree... The Denon 3500 is a great buy right now. And unless you are going to ultimately target Atmos, this would be fine. If you want to have the option of doing Atmos in the future, I think the 4500 is the best option. Also Marrantz SR60xx series and above.
Shopping last years models is a great option for saving money!

S

sakethsimha

Enthusiast
Update:

i was told that I could get a AVR_X3600H for 650$

So final question AVR_X3600H (9.2ch) for 650$ or 3500H for 550$ (7.2 ch) considering all features?

Please help! Last one I promise :)

-Saketh

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis