Figuring out New Apple 4k TV on older HDCP 1.4 receiver...

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
I am looking to upgrade my old Apple TV to an Apple 4K TV. Currently my AV receiver, PE SC-85, is HDCP 1.4, my TV is 4K HDCP 2.2 and I have a 4K bluray player with separate audio and video HDMI outs, one to the 4K TV and one to the SC-85. Works fine this way for 4K viewing and Dolby ATMOS listening(highest level it supports).

Since Apple 4K TV has only one HDMI out I cannot utilize the same concept as my 4K bluray player with 2 cables.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can run the Apple 4K TV through my SC-85 and receive HD signals and Dolby ATMOS?

This way, when I upgrade the receiver I will already have the 4K Apple TV. Thanks.

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Does your Blu-Ray have an HDMI in? You could run the AppleTV to that first and use the BluRay player as a passthrough if so.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
OK, did some more digging. If I settle for HD picture for now, will the ARC function work to send back the audio signals to the A/V receiver? Will they be in Atmos?

Any other ways around the HDCP? The only thing I can find are splitters?

Thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
OK, did some more digging. If I settle for HD picture for now, will the ARC function work to send back the audio signals to the A/V receiver? Will they be in Atmos?

Any other ways around the HDCP? The only thing I can find are splitters?

Thanks.
Splitters are the easiest way. I'd try ARC if you are just doing streaming services. Then you won't have any quality loss with audio unless your TV doesn't support something.

If you want HD audio, then you're looking at a new receiver unless you get a very nice splitter.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Thanks for the help.

I looked up splitters. My only question about them is should I get a HDCP 2.2 compliant or an older one that isn't. It makes sense to me to get an older one that is HDCP 1.4 or less so that signal will pass through, correct? Or am I over thinking this.

About ARC, my TV and AV is ARC compatible. I have a high speed HDMI cable. I just can't seem to get sound back through from my TV when I run a source just on the TV back to the AV? I have the TV ARC on and the HDMI cable is connected to the ARC slot as well as the correct HDMI out on the AV receiver based on the directions. I just have never tried it and don't know what setting on the AV receiver to use? I think that I tried them all. I turned on ARC on the AV as well. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the help.

I looked up splitters. My only question about them is should I get a HDCP 2.2 compliant or an older one that isn't. It makes sense to me to get an older one that is HDCP 1.4 or less so that signal will pass through, correct? Or am I over thinking this.

About ARC, my TV and AV is ARC compatible. I have a high speed HDMI cable. I just can't seem to get sound back through from my TV when I run a source just on the TV back to the AV? I have the TV ARC on and the HDMI cable is connected to the ARC slot as well as the correct HDMI out on the AV receiver based on the directions. I just have never tried it and don't know what setting on the AV receiver to use? I think that I tried them all. I turned on ARC on the AV as well. Any suggestions?
Get one that is 2.2 compliant that way all the good parts of 4K and HDR get to your display and the audio gets to your receiver.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Get one that is 2.2 compliant that way all the good parts of 4K and HDR get to your display and the audio gets to your receiver.
Thanks. So, if I understand correctly, the Apple TV with 2.2 to the splitter, one leg to the 4k tv(HDCP 2.2) and one leg to the AV(HDCP 1.4) and that should work?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. So, if I understand correctly, the Apple TV with 2.2 to the splitter, one leg to the 4k tv(HDCP 2.2) and one leg to the AV(HDCP 1.4) and that should work?
It should as long as the splitter doesn't do anything weird to the signal.

That's one reason I stated to use a higher end splitter. Some of the cheap ones will degrade the signal or cause weird handshake issues.

However, if you don't use HD audio then you can always just use ARC from the TV to the receiver and be done with it. That has it's own drawbacks though.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
It should as long as the splitter doesn't do anything weird to the signal.

That's one reason I stated to use a higher end splitter. Some of the cheap ones will degrade the signal or cause weird handshake issues.

However, if you don't use HD audio then you can always just use ARC from the TV to the receiver and be done with it. That has it's own drawbacks though.
Great! Thanks. I will give it a try and report back when I get the Apple 4K TV, probably in a few weeks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HDMI follows the lowest common denominator rule. You can send HDCP 2.1 to a splitter when there is a HDCP 1.4 device in the chain. That's not how splitters work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is app sourced audio on your tv or for a source plugged in directly to tv? You sure you enabled all the necessary controls for ARC per both your tv and avr manuals? Should work rather easily IME....if anything annoyingly will try and play tv audio just by having the tv on :)

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
This is app sourced audio on your tv or for a source plugged in directly to tv? You sure you enabled all the necessary controls for ARC per both your tv and avr manuals? Should work rather easily IME....if anything annoyingly will try and play tv audio just by having the tv on :)
Thanks, I will revisit, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason.

P

PixelDust

Enthusiast
Well, I got the Apple 4K TV. I also purchased an Orei 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor ARC Support - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support (HDA-925). I tried plugging in the converter and I didn't get a picture or sound, or I got crackles for sound. So, I decided to plug Apple TV in straight to the A/V since the wire was there and it worked. I am getting 1080p picture and PCM 7.1 sound.

I don't know if the converter extractor needed to be plugged into my 4K HDMI on my TV for it to work(because I didn't do that), but I am perplexed why sound didn't come out at all(or just static). I don't know if there was anything else to set up in the Converter, but there weren't any other switches or instructions. Anyways, I returned the extractor and I am going to go with the 1080p picture and PCM 7.1(which sounds better than whatever I had previously).

Thanks for all the help. I am considering a new A/V receiver when HDMI 2.1 comes around in the next year or so, which will solve these issues. The Apple 4k TV is pretty cool over the 1st or second generation I had.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I got the Apple 4K TV. I also purchased an Orei 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor ARC Support - SPDIF + 3.5mm Output - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Support (HDA-925). I tried plugging in the converter and I didn't get a picture or sound, or I got crackles for sound. So, I decided to plug Apple TV in straight to the A/V since the wire was there and it worked. I am getting 1080p picture and PCM 7.1 sound.

I don't know if the converter extractor needed to be plugged into my 4K HDMI on my TV for it to work(because I didn't do that), but I am perplexed why sound didn't come out at all(or just static). I don't know if there was anything else to set up in the Converter, but there weren't any other switches or instructions. Anyways, I returned the extractor and I am going to go with the 1080p picture and PCM 7.1(which sounds better than whatever I had previously).

Thanks for all the help. I am considering a new A/V receiver when HDMI 2.1 comes around in the next year or so, which will solve these issues. The Apple 4k TV is pretty cool over the 1st or second generation I had.
If your TV supports ARC, then that device you purchased seems unnecessary. Plug the ATV into your TV, enable ARC and HDMI CEC on the TV and receiver. Plug tv into receiver. Done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis