Subwoofer placement

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
When I have the space I'll be building a second sub. The wife would kill me if I built one now though.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
When I have the space I'll be building a second sub. The wife would kill me if I built one now though.
I haven’t built my first yet... wife would kill me if I did that now. But soon. TLS posted his drawing for his TL sub. It might have given me the info I need to do it with a larger driver! Dual 12” TL Sub!!!!!!!!!!!
It will be as big as a 2-story dog house! :eek:o_O:eek:
And I don’t care!
:cool::cool::cool:

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I haven’t built my first yet... wife would kill me if I did that now. But soon. TLS posted his drawing for his TL sub. It might have given me the info I need to do it with a larger driver! Dual 12” TL Sub!!!!!!!!!!!
It will be as big as a 2-story dog house! :eek:o_O:eek:
And I don’t care!
:cool::cool::cool:
I've been quite interested in the new dual passive radiator kits that parts express has released. I need to look and see if anyone has measured any of them in comparison to the sealed ultimaxes

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
why your tv is away from the wall? You said me to push mine back to the wall to kill all the static sound!
Um, no I didn't tell you that.

I sit pretty far from my tv (~ 4.5 meters) so I've pulled everything forward a bit so it's a little bit closer. Plus speakers, especially those big ones, sound their best when you pull them away from any walls. That, I know I did tell you. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your left speaker is close to a corner wall :)
It is 2' (61 cm) from the left corner. It's the best I can do without having them out in traffic. We all have to make some compromises. I would prefer there wasn't a glass door to the left, a big room to the right and a cubby hole where the entrance is. I did my best to work around all of that tho, and my system sounds very nice if I do say so myself. It's sounding especially nice right now, with my new toys hooked up to it..

31483-360x640.jpeg
31496-360x480.jpeg
31486.jpeg

I unplugged the towers and am listening to them by themselves right now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey i see you. Put your hand down :D
So my wife was listening to those new speakers with me and said that she doesn't think they're big enough...

Guess I'll have to start looking at the Sierra towers then!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
It is 2' (61 cm) from the left corner. It's the best I can do without having them out in traffic. We all have to make some compromises. I would prefer there wasn't a glass door to the left, a big room to the right and a cubby hole where the entrance is. I did my best to work around all of that tho, and my system sounds very nice if I do say so myself. It's sounding especially nice right now, with my new toys hooked up to it..

View attachment 35596View attachment 35597View attachment 35598

I unplugged the towers and am listening to them by themselves right now.
How do you like the Ascends compared to your SVS speakers? Nice looking setup btw!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you like the Ascends compared to your SVS speakers? Nice looking setup btw!
I like them a lot. They're doing some things better for sure. Before I start, of course the towers have far deeper bass extension so I'm focusing on everything in the range of 40 hz and up, basically. I'm not listening to bass heavy music, but music that has decent bass nonetheless. Mainly TOOL thus far.

Last night when I switched back to my Ultra towers I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be. The Ultras are still pretty damned good. They're more laid back than the Sierras in the upper ranges and sound better with some eq. The Sierras sound much better in pure direct in comparison. So good I might not even eq above 200 hz, which I'd not considered before.

Eq'd the towers really do hang with the Sierras. When I apply the same eq to the Sierras they become a bit harsh, unsurprisingly, as Audyssey is set up for the towers and like I said, the Ultras are more laid back. I do prefer the more forward nature of the Sierras and they are more detailed. I'm still impressed with the bass they put out. I want to do a side by side soon with the Ultra books and see how they measure up with the Sierras in LF response. It's been quite a while since I've listened to the Ultra books by themselves and they do pretty well also for a book.

I'm eager to run an Audyssey setup and get the subs dialed in with the Sierras, but I need a couple hours of quiet (REW and MiniDSP also) and that ain't happening til this weekend it looks like. If they can handle the spl I like to hit... phew. Yeah, I'm stoked. If I get the opportunity I'll do it tomorrow or Friday. I've yet to take them above -10 without a crossover, for fear of exploding something and making me really, really sad... lol.

*Edit: And thank you for the compliment. I put a lot of time and effort into keeping things looking nice as well as sounding nice.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I like them a lot. They're doing some things better for sure. Before I start, of course the towers have far deeper bass extension so I'm focusing on everything in the range of 40 hz and up, basically. I'm not listening to bass heavy music, but music that has decent bass nonetheless. Mainly TOOL thus far.

Last night when I switched back to my Ultra towers I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I'd be. The Ultras are still pretty damned good. They're more laid back than the Sierras in the upper ranges and sound better with some eq. The Sierras sound much better in pure direct in comparison. So good I might not even eq above 200 hz, which I'd not considered before.

Eq'd the towers really do hang with the Sierras. When I apply the same eq to the Sierras they become a bit harsh, unsurprisingly, as Audyssey is set up for the towers and like I said, the Ultras are more laid back. I do prefer the more forward nature of the Sierras and they are more detailed. I'm still impressed with the bass they put out. I want to do a side by side soon with the Ultra books and see how they measure up with the Sierras in LF response. It's been quite a while since I've listened to the Ultra books by themselves and they do pretty well also for a book.

I'm eager to run an Audyssey setup and get the subs dialed in with the Sierras, but I need a couple hours of quiet (REW and MiniDSP also) and that ain't happening til this weekend it looks like. If they can handle the spl I like to hit... phew. Yeah, I'm stoked. If I get the opportunity I'll do it tomorrow or Friday. I've yet to take them above -10 without a crossover, for fear of exploding something and making me really, really sad... lol.

*Edit: And thank you for the compliment. I put a lot of time and effort into keeping things looking nice as well as sounding nice.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Very informative. Given what I have read about both of those speakers I am not surprised by your interpretations of them. I know you put in quite a bit of work in EQing the bass, so I am sure you'll get them dialed in right. Here is a pic of my Sierra Towers with raal. I have had them for about 4 years now and I'm still good with them. I only have one small sub, but my room is fairly small. My listening area is only 12 1/2 by 16' so the bass is actually pretty good. I'm sure the room would benefit from another Rythmik thrown into the mix. Maybe down the road. But my 3060 provides good clean power to the speakers, so music and movies still put a smile on my face. I'll get around to EQing the bass one of these days. Enjoy your new editions.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Very informative. Given what I have read about both of those speakers I am not surprised by your interpretations of them. I know you put in quite a bit of work in EQing the bass, so I am sure you'll get them dialed in right. Here is a pic of my Sierra Towers with raal. I have had them for about 4 years now and I'm still good with them. I only have one small sub, but my room is fairly small. My listening area is only 12 1/2 by 16' so the bass is actually pretty good. I'm sure the room would benefit from another Rythmik thrown into the mix. Maybe down the road. But my 3060 provides good clean power to the speakers, so music and movies still put a smile on my face. I'll get around to EQing the bass one of these days. Enjoy your new editions.
Sure! To be honest they're still new enough that I'm still gushing so no biggie!

I really like your setup as well. Very clean and elegant looking. Where my shit looks like it fits better in the batcave, lol. I am scheming and cooking up some ideas that might put me into some sierra towers...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Sure! To be honest they're still new enough that I'm still gushing so no biggie!

I really like your setup as well. Very clean and elegant looking. Where my shit looks like it fits better in the batcave, lol. I am scheming and cooking up some ideas that might put me into some sierra towers...
Ah, the Raals have grabbed you by the ears and refused to let go, huh?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

I've heard great things about the SVS towers and the Sierra 2, so you have two very fine speaker systems.

Thanks for the compliment on my humble rig. I use a very elaborate cable management system. LOL

If I keep it clean looking hopefully the lady of the house will not balk at the idea of a second subwoofer. If I could have a totally separate music/movie room, mine would look like a bat cave as well. :D

I really like the Sierra Towers. Very clean sounding from top to bottom. No particular frequency range stands out. I would not call them bright by nature unless the source material is bright. Clean and clear through the mid-range. Bass is good as well. Obviously with two 6 inch bass drivers in each speaker, they do need a sub, or two. The Horizon center is just killer. Dialogue is really super clear. I had Dave at Ascend build me a custom center. It cost more, but it fits in the rack perfectly.

I normally use 3 listening modes: 1. Pure Direct (No eq, no sub, just a direct signal with no processing) 2. Straight (This is 2.1, so the sub is on of course) and 3. Dolby Surround (5.1 in my case) they all sound good. Going back and forth between Pure Direct and the other modes, you can really hear how the sub fills in the bottom end. I have run room Eq (YPAO) and general prefer the "Through" mode which is no Eq. Sometimes I do use the "Natural" mode (YPAO on) the other sounds modes are just rubbish IMO.

You are more than welcome to take a road trip to Tuscon to listen to the towers. And yes, we are social distancing....sigh

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've heard great things about the SVS towers and the Sierra 2, so you have two very fine speaker systems.

Thanks for the compliment on my humble rig. I use a very elaborate cable management system. LOL

If I keep it clean looking hopefully the lady of the house will not balk at the idea of a second subwoofer. If I could have a totally separate music/movie room, mine would look like a bat cave as well. :D

I really like the Sierra Towers. Very clean sounding from top to bottom. No particular frequency range stands out. I would not call them bright by nature unless the source material is bright. Clean and clear through the mid-range. Bass is good as well. Obviously with two 6 inch bass drivers in each speaker, they do need a sub, or two. The Horizon center is just killer. Dialogue is really super clear. I had Dave at Ascend build me a custom center. It cost more, but it fits in the rack perfectly.

I normally use 3 listening modes: 1. Pure Direct (No eq, no sub, just a direct signal with no processing) 2. Straight (This is 2.1, so the sub is on of course) and 3. Dolby Surround (5.1 in my case) they all sound good. Going back and forth between Pure Direct and the other modes, you can really hear how the sub fills in the bottom end. I have run room Eq (YPAO) and general prefer the "Through" mode which is no Eq. Sometimes I do use the "Natural" mode (YPAO on) the other sounds modes are just rubbish IMO.

You are more than welcome to take a road trip to Tuscon to listen to the towers. And yes, we are social distancing....sigh
Tucson is within reasonable driving distance for me! In fact that's where I drove to get my first SVS subwoofer!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Tucson is within reasonable driving distance for me! In fact that's where I drove to get my first SVS subwoofer!
For some reason I thought you were in Az! Yeah man, just let me know, we're always here. PM if you want.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis